Jon

Cielo is very good, get all of my beans from there. £22-24 for 1kg bag and 2 free flat whites. Sheaf Street is decent too, located behind the back of the Tetleys brewery, which again serves decent coffee. Both of the latter use a local roaster caller North Star, which is across the road in Leeds Docks, which is next door to another Laynes coffee shop.

never tried Sheaf Street. Must give that a whirl. Mrs Athas is pretty hard to beat for me. Even my 13 year old daughter approves!

never tried Sheaf Street. Must give that a whirl. Mrs Athas is pretty hard to beat for me. Even my 13 year old daughter approves!

I only came across it because Laynes used to run the kitchen. It's a really nice chilled out place with lots of space. We have spent 3/4 hours there on a Saturday afternoon with a 14 month old boy!

• 2 weeks later...
Laynes all day long for me, stellar coffee and consistently voted into the tope coffee in Europe...its amazing. That kiosk in the Victoria Quarter also does a nice cup....

I thought that kiosk had shut down?

I do like Laynes, but if you want to spread out with the papers, good luck! I usually head to Mrs Athas or Cielo.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I’ve been trying out a few of the Leeds coffee shops lately, and I have to say that Kapow is my favourite (so far)  in town. Lovely selection of coffees, and lovely staff. It’s only small, but definitely worth a look. The best overall IMHO is North Star, down by the Royal Armouries. That place is just great all round. Really nice coffee, which they roast themselves, nice seating both inside and outside, and a decent selection of food. 

I tried Laynes, and maybe just went on a bad day, but the espresso was really sour. For reference it was Square Mile’s Red Brick. My other half had food, and she wasn’t particularly impressed with that either. 

Ive only tried Cielo in Garforth, but that was lovely too. 

• 5 months later...

Occasionally work in leeds so have been trying a few in the centre

Laynes - red brick beans, nice new place, a touch pricey.

Mrs ashas - ek43, craft house beans when i have been in. This is usually my first coffee of the day, flat whites are v good ime.

Cafe164 - near bus station near bbc. Northstar beans, offer 3 types of v60 pour overs, mythos and short ek43, enjoyable place, good selection of coffees, usually go here for my 2nd coffee of the day, flat white good but not as good as mrs ashas one.

Need to find time to try out some of the others in this thread.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Laynes (who use Red Brick Coffee) and Cielo (who roast their own) are the two that stand out to me in the city centre (and I live here),

The other place that has been missed off above is North Star who are based in Leeds Docks - local importer and roaster with a coffee shop - absolutely worth a trip for anyone on this forum visiting Leeds. Check out their website for all the info.

If you're visiting out of the centre Opposite is great (Headingley and Chapel Allerton), as is House of Koko (Chapel Allerton). Opposite use Redbrick and House of Koko use North Star. 

• 1 month later...

Mrs Athas for me - as said fab Flat Whites. I then preferred Ceilo over Laynes where I got a free flat white when buying beans and it’s quieter and good for relaxing 

Almond croissant and Latte from Laynes in the picture. Croissant was massive and tasted great  

2B43E922-4C1C-4CA7-A40E-A733C0FDACDB.jpeg

Edited by Mark70
Add picture
  • Like 1

Forgot to say Kapow on the Calls is also very good and worth a try. Spoiled really for choice

I’m going to walk down to Northstar next time I’m in the city and give them a go 

Edited by Mark70

Tried Fika North in headingley last week - was excellent, really good.

They have North Star and cast espresso beans and another I can’t remember.

I had Kenyan as americano as they said they didn’t have time to do a pour over as I went at a peak time. Tasted amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
26 minutes ago, Tinkstar said:

Are any of these places open with lockdown etc? Really fancy a trip to North star to 1) have my first shop espresso, 2) work out what it's meant to taste like 3) buy my next beans 🤣

Looking at their facebook page and opening times, they are still baking and open til 3 or 4 most days 

Northstar that is, or you can call em

Edited by Mrboots2u
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mrboots2u said:

Looking at their facebook page and opening times, they are still baking and open til 3 or 4 most days 

Northstar that is, or you can call em

I ... just assumed... closed 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

a) Your options in Leeds at the moment are North Star, Laynes, La Botega.....think that's about it.

I think lack of students and no office workers means that everyone else it hunkered down until things ease a bit more.

b) what the hell are you doing on here?

39 minutes ago, sjm85 said:

a) Your options in Leeds at the moment are North Star, Laynes, La Botega.....think that's about it.

I think lack of students and no office workers means that everyone else it hunkered down until things ease a bit more.

b) what the hell are you doing on here?

Clearly need to take a drive to north star then 🤣