Jon

I've never been there so cannot comment, but every time I hear Leeds it reminds me of a comedian I saw once who sang "Leeds, Leeds, so crap they named it once" to the tune of "New York New York (so good they named it twice)". [Gerard Kenny not the Sinatra song].

The sheer silliness of this has made it stick in my head for what must be 20 years. I'm sure it's not true though and there are bound to be decent coffee places in such a major city.

Leeds gets a bit of a bad review in a song by Sheffield 'group' The Everly Pregnant Brothers in their song Rovvrum which has a dig at towns and cities around Sheffield, along with London - lots of videos of it on youtube if anyone wants to listen. Wont put a link on here as it contains a touch of industrial language.

Industrial LOL! I do love a satirical song , I will be googling these Everley Pregnant chaps, cheers.

Some references are to Sheffield so wont mean a lot unless you know the area but theres plenty that are more generic.

Lots of references to Hendos (Hendersons Relish) which may not have found its way down south yet.

Lads after my own heart! Just listened to Rovvrum and No Oven No Pie, which reminded me of the parody of Redemption Song I wrote when there was a big round of redundancy (re-dun-dan-cy) at work. "Oh Personnel dey rob I..."

Have family from Halifax but no, I have never heard of Hendo's. You've made my day WD!

Just taken advantage of Cielo's coffee offer.

For me a bag of Sumatra Takengon, and a free house espresso.

The espresso was good: a blend of Ethiopian and Sumatran = Lots of sweetness, coupled with deep base notes. Sort of like if I pressed the "Loudness" button on my old midi-system, if you understand!

Just taken advantage of Cielo's coffee offer.

For me a bag of Sumatra Takengon, and a free house espresso.

The espresso was good: a blend of Ethiopian and Sumatran = Lots of sweetness, coupled with deep base notes. Sort of like if I pressed the "Loudness" button on my old midi-system, if you understand!

took advantage of this offer today too. Nice place, decent equipment, however felt a little chaotic

• 4 weeks later...
it's on every time I go in, so should be!

I did, ended up with a Honduras SO. Also went to Laynes by the Station.

They forgot my order so I had to remind them, the Flat white was up to Square Mile standard though.

The Laynes pop up in Leeds dock was better & the Barista made the effort to get me a couple of bags of beans from North Star Roasters next door despite being closed to the public on that day.

My last stop was LaBottegaMilanese, best Flat White of the day & also the cheapest & I went in there during 'happy hour' (1st for a Coffee shop for me)

• 3 weeks later...

Just tried to pop into Laynes down by the station. Looks like they're expanding into the unit next door as the place was a mini construction site. Work doesn't look too far off completion (they were closed today), and at guess it'll more than double their floor space. Good to see them doing well!

Just tried to pop into Laynes down by the station. Looks like they're expanding into the unit next door as the place was a mini construction site. Work doesn't look too far off completion (they were closed today), and at guess it'll more than double their floor space. Good to see them doing well!

They've not finished yet? I visited there almost 3 weeks ago & I told they'd be done before Xmas. Still they'll need it as it was a bit of a squeeze to find a space to drink my flat white & that was just after 9am on a weekday.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It amazes me how Cielo, just round the corner from Laynes, is always so quiet compared to Laynes. You can always get a seat & with a free V60 with any bag of beans (which are all really well priced) it's a no brainer!! I think Laynes are expensive due to the inevitable footfall on the way to the station & their reputation.

Cielo is very good, get all of my beans from there. £22-24 for 1kg bag and 2 free flat whites. Sheaf Street is decent too, located behind the back of the Tetleys brewery, which again serves decent coffee. Both of the latter use a local roaster caller North Star, which is across the road in Leeds Docks, which is next door to another Laynes coffee shop.