Apparently just north of London there is somewhere called Leeds (I understand it's near Birmingham, Inverness and all that.)

Has anyone been there, and does anyone who has, know of anywhere good for coffee - perhaps near the train station - please?

(I just Googled and Mrs Atha's rings a bell from an old Has Bean video?)

Thanks!

Edited by Jon

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

I've never been there so cannot comment, but every time I hear Leeds it reminds me of a comedian I saw once who sang "Leeds, Leeds, so crap they named it once" to the tune of "New York New York (so good they named it twice)". [Gerard Kenny not the Sinatra song].

The sheer silliness of this has made it stick in my head for what must be 20 years. I'm sure it's not true though and there are bound to be decent coffee places in such a major city.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

These good people congregated here seem to know where it's at:http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26021

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

You don't actually want to go there, they have no tolerance.

I think the phrase "they don't suffer fools lightly" originates from there, whatever that means.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

Yep, Mrs Athas is excellent. Coffee served in a decanter & excellent food. Laynes, just round the corner from the station. Opposite, in the Victoria Quarter, near Harvey Nicholls.

i certainly have no tolerance if I get a crap coffee.

If it's near the station you want you can't look past laynes espresso which is just round the corner from the entrance!!

Thank you!

How wrong the song is. Leeds is a cracking city! ( I am not from there, or indeed a Yorkshire man. My generosity and tolerance proves this!)

I would wholeheartedly recommend http://www.labottegamilanese.co.uk/ Their shop on Bond st is closer to the station but I prefer the one in the Light.

Personally I'm not a fan of Laynes after getting pretty bad espresso on a couple visits, previously they had been really good. This and the prices went up quite dramatically, which was about a year or so ago and I haven't been back since.

Its not Manchester but Leeds is still a great city with friendly people. Lots of great art in the galleries with a huge Henry Moore collection at the appropriately named Henry Moore Institute.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Its not Manchester but Leeds is still a great city with friendly people. Lots of great art in the galleries with a huge Henry Moore collection at the appropriately named Henry Moore Institute.

Regretfully I'll have about 12 minutes to explore.

Thanks all. I'll try to do Atha's and Laynes.

probably wont get to athas and back in that time, stick to laynes its a 1 minute walk from the station entrance

leeds is twice the city manchester is

Made it to Laynes. Just.

I've never been there so cannot comment, but every time I hear Leeds it reminds me of a comedian I saw once who sang "Leeds, Leeds, so crap they named it once" to the tune of "New York New York (so good they named it twice)". [Gerard Kenny not the Sinatra song].

The sheer silliness of this has made it stick in my head for what must be 20 years. I'm sure it's not true though and there are bound to be decent coffee places in such a major city.

Leeds gets a bit of a bad review in a song by Sheffield 'group' The Everly Pregnant Brothers in their song Rovvrum which has a dig at towns and cities around Sheffield, along with London - lots of videos of it on youtube if anyone wants to listen. Wont put a link on here as it contains a touch of industrial language.

a grinder a lever and some beans

Industrial LOL! I do love a satirical song , I will be googling these Everley Pregnant chaps, cheers.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Industrial LOL! I do love a satirical song , I will be googling these Everley Pregnant chaps, cheers.

Some references are to Sheffield so wont mean a lot unless you know the area but theres plenty that are more generic.

Lots of references to Hendos (Hendersons Relish) which may not have found its way down south yet.

a grinder a lever and some beans

Lads after my own heart! Just listened to Rovvrum and No Oven No Pie, which reminded me of the parody of Redemption Song I wrote when there was a big round of redundancy (re-dun-dan-cy) at work. "Oh Personnel dey rob I..."

Have family from Halifax but no, I have never heard of Hendo's. You've made my day WD!

Just taken advantage of Cielo's coffee offer.

For me a bag of Sumatra Takengon, and a free house espresso.

The espresso was good: a blend of Ethiopian and Sumatran = Lots of sweetness, coupled with deep base notes. Sort of like if I pressed the "Loudness" button on my old midi-system, if you understand!

L1-P | E10 | VST | Feldgrind | Kalita

Just taken advantage of Cielo's coffee offer.

For me a bag of Sumatra Takengon, and a free house espresso.

The espresso was good: a blend of Ethiopian and Sumatran = Lots of sweetness, coupled with deep base notes. Sort of like if I pressed the "Loudness" button on my old midi-system, if you understand!

took advantage of this offer today too. Nice place, decent equipment, however felt a little chaotic