Jon

Apparently just north of London there is somewhere called Leeds (I understand it's near Birmingham, Inverness and all that.)

Has anyone been there, and does anyone who has, know of anywhere good for coffee - perhaps near the train station - please?

(I just Googled and Mrs Atha's rings a bell from an old Has Bean video?)

Thanks!

Edited by Jon

I've never been there so cannot comment, but every time I hear Leeds it reminds me of a comedian I saw once who sang "Leeds, Leeds, so crap they named it once" to the tune of "New York New York (so good they named it twice)". [Gerard Kenny not the Sinatra song].

The sheer silliness of this has made it stick in my head for what must be 20 years. I'm sure it's not true though and there are bound to be decent coffee places in such a major city.

Yep, Mrs Athas is excellent. Coffee served in a decanter & excellent food. Laynes, just round the corner from the station. Opposite, in the Victoria Quarter, near Harvey Nicholls.

i certainly have no tolerance if I get a crap coffee.

I would wholeheartedly recommend http://www.labottegamilanese.co.uk/ Their shop on Bond st is closer to the station but I prefer the one in the Light.

Personally I'm not a fan of Laynes after getting pretty bad espresso on a couple visits, previously they had been really good. This and the prices went up quite dramatically, which was about a year or so ago and I haven't been back since.

Its not Manchester but Leeds is still a great city with friendly people. Lots of great art in the galleries with a huge Henry Moore collection at the appropriately named Henry Moore Institute.

Coffee. Because sarcastic humour is wrong. 

Its not Manchester but Leeds is still a great city with friendly people. Lots of great art in the galleries with a huge Henry Moore collection at the appropriately named Henry Moore Institute.

Regretfully I'll have about 12 minutes to explore.

• 1 year later...