Sign in to follow this  
garydyke1

Water profiles - effect on taste

**Split from the Compak R120 thread at the request of the OP**

Im not sure I agree with '''magic box' that completely transforms the taste of the coffee in ways that are not always predictable or recognisable (that is a huge compliment to the EK43 by the way - but it in no way provides an accurate representation of what the bean tastes like)''.

Having tasted 100's of coffees via various grinders and different brew methods, clarity is something the EK does tremendously well. You can tell its the same coffee (what it actually tastes like) via an Uber, a Tanzania, an R120, Vario, even a Porlex .... but just that different attributes are accentuated / amplified.

Water profiles make a much bigger difference than any of this.

Edited by Glenn

@garydyke1

I agree. The taste of any bean ultimately is as a result of however you prepare it, the grinder being an important part but water is obviously the majority of what you're drinking. The current levels of interest in water is great. Identifying (and then being able to replicate) 'good' water is maybe the holy grail.

Yes but this is not about water, I am sure that it plays an important part in any coffee preparation, this about the grinders capability, the ek is certainly not a grinder you can profile on and does not produce coffee indicative of the roasters profile unless the original coffee was profiled on an Ek. As I daud previously Rob had to stop using the EK to profile as it could not be replicated on other grinders.

I will enjoy the side by sides we will do in espresso range next week ( provided I have the beast back by then)

AKA Toffee chips

Yes but this is not about water, I am sure that it plays an important part in any coffee preparation, this about the grinders capability, the ek is certainly not a grinder you can profile on and does not produce coffee indicative of the roasters profile unless the original coffee was profiled on an Ek. As I daud previously Rob had to stop using the EK to profile as it could not be replicated on other grinders.

Pandering to the sub 20%ers

Don't five elephant profile with an EK because they're roasting specifically for one? Be interesting to see how that works out differently

Tame Barista @ http://tamebaristas.com

Don't five elephant profile with an EK because they're roasting specifically for one? Be interesting to see how that works out differently

That would make sense, think the point is why optimise your roast for 22%+ shots when everyone at home is humping down at 16

I think there is some confusion over roast development and grinder performance.

Cupping is how roasts are generally profiled . Extraction is a by-product of the water in that instance, not grinder performance .

@garydyke1

Ill ask Kris if you like?

@garydyke1

I think there is some confusion over roast development and grinder performance.

Cupping is how roasts are generally profiled . Extraction is a by-product of the water in that instance, not grinder performance .

Grind size affects extraction in cupping like any other brew method, but because there is no flow, a narrow distribution (which in turn pushes up EY target) is less critical than for drip/espresso.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Grind size affects extraction in cupping like any other brew method, but because there is no flow, a narrow distribution (which in turn pushes up EY target) is less critical than for drip/espresso.

The coffee will pretty much cup the same . If the Uber is on the blink then our roasters don't suddenly change all their roast profiles if they need to use a Vario or EK. Some of the guys here use a Porlex as their primary home grinder , others have EK43's - we are still all enjoying the same coffees when cupping together + brewing at home.

@garydyke1

The coffee will pretty much cup the same . If the Uber is on the blink then our roasters don't suddenly change all their roast profiles if they need to use a Vario or EK. Some of the guys here use a Porlex as their primary home grinder , others have EK43's - we are still all enjoying the same coffees when cupping together + brewing at home.

Immersion, without agitation is more even extraction & may fall in a smaller window of EY (so long as you are not bonkers coarse), but it still varies with grind size (average), steep time & at outer limits brew ratio.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

We just change the grind setting so we hit the same EY after 4 mins . It's never an issue

@garydyke1

We are currently profiling for a target between 22-24% extraction, depending on the coffee, with a low TDS.

High extraction and low TDS, with the reduced spread of grinding particle size on the EK43 and the reduced spread of roast development "solubility" (due to maximising bean energy absorption), is for us giving some distinct clarity in the cup.

Its not something that can generally be achieved in every consumer brew set up, but it doesn't hurt. If coffee is roasted with a lower spread to a high enough solubility, in my experience a home brewer can still achieve a nice cup. This has been the problem in the past (even with our coffee). Roasters have been roasting coffee that simply would not dissolve without using tectonic plates as grinding disks.

Of course water is important and is actually the only way to taste what a roaster is thinking, but many people have talked about this already....