Sign in to follow this  
Brewdog

Berlin recommendations

I'm off to Berlin in October for 4 nights and I'm now starting to think about where I plan to visit (coffee and non-coffee related). There seems to be so many cracking cafes and decent sights / attractions I'm never going to fit everything in. I'm hoping for some recommendations please to help me prioritise! Cheers

Gaggia Classic (2006 - OPV & Silvia Wand mods) , Matt Black Eureka Mignon , Made by Knock Tamper , Rhino hand grinder, Clever Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, French Press .......

The Barn is the first thing that springs to mind.

The Barn & Bonanza for sure

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Thanks guys. Yeah both on the hit list. Any other recomendatikns? Any folk been to Berlin recently with some top tips?

Gaggia Classic (2006 - OPV & Silvia Wand mods) , Matt Black Eureka Mignon , Made by Knock Tamper , Rhino hand grinder, Clever Coffee Dripper, Aeropress, French Press .......

Watching with interest as I'm off to Berlin for a week next week. Hadn't even thought about where to go yet as we are visiting with friends who are Berlin natives, but just checked and we are staying 1 minute walk from The Barn :)

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

@NickdeBug that's great - Hopefully you can fix up a bit of trip report :good:. Im close too......about a 10 minute walk from both the Barn Roastery and the Barn Coffeshop.....

If you're near the Museum at checkpoint Charlie there's a reasonable coffee shop called "westberlin" almost opposite that does nice cakes etc and the coffee is Drop. In fact the whole place has a very Scandinavian vibe, very clean and minimalist. I wouldn't trek halfway across the city but if you're doing the museum that's a good bet afterwards.

Friedrichstraße 215, 10969 Berlin, Germany

Edited by hotmetal

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Im going for 3 nights in November . The Barn and Five Elephant are on my list.

@garydyke1

The Barn (roastery) is a must. There's Bonanza and Five Elephant as well. There's another place Die Ende Der Welt (I think), translates as The End Of The World, that's supposed to be good.

For non coffee related things do a walking tour, the street art one is very good. There's the underworld tours which take in bunkers, both WW2 and Cold War. Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain are good areas to walk around and soak up the culture. The area around both Barns is pretty interesting.

And if you're anywhere around Pariser Platz/Brandenburger Tor or the fragments of the wall with the posters, do watch out for the con artists with 'petitions' who pretend to be deaf and will try to get your wallet.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Well that is certainly a tremendous link. No shortage of cracking venues! I'll have to find some nearby tourist attractions so Mrs brewdog doesn't think we're traveling everywhere solely for coffee related purposes!! ;)

I went up the Berliner Fernsehturm (TV tower) when I was there, Superb views across the city and there is a bar at the top.

The lift is meant to be very fast but I hardly felt it move.

Also took the train to Potsdam, lovely place well worth a visit if you can fit it in your schedule

...and if you're into raving don't forget a visit to Berghain/Panorama Bar :cool:

Coffee enema anyone?

...and if you're into raving don't forget a visit to Berghain/Panorama Bar :cool:

They posted a picture on Facebook yesterday afternoon of people in the smoking area saying it was their longest party ever. Instantly gave me the fear.

They posted a picture on Facebook yesterday afternoon of people in the smoking area saying it was their longest party ever. Instantly gave me the fear.

Can't find it. Was it longer than the Ostgut farewell party (30hrs?).

Coffee enema anyone?

Can't find it. Was it longer than the Ostgut farewell party (30hrs?).

I misread it, it's on the ostgut ton page - said best party ever, not longest. Posted Monday at 15.35. Still gave me the fear.

No raving for me - happy with a decent meal and few beers! Cheers though

Back in Canada I was deeply into the unique and diverse coffee culture, so naturally when I cam to Berlin, finding a great coffee spot was one of the first things on the list. I was quite pleased to find out that Berlin has a great selection actually. Here is a good list of great local spots. One of the locations on the list, Concierge Coffee, is definitely a recommendation if you find yourself in Berlin Kreuzberg. It's right by my work, so it is convenient, but at the same time it is really good. Small and quaint, but usually packed with regulars.

As far as coffee abroad.....if anyone needs recommendations for Toronto or Halifax, let me know. Finiding great coffee spots is pretty much the first thing I get acquainted with when living anywhere.

Okay - so back from Berlin.

Firstly - what a great city!

Probably my 4th visit, but my first time that I managed to explore something other than the usual conference facilities.

Visited friends for a birthday party which was amazing (250 people in an old church with some crazy guy with Slash hair banging out old Stones hits).

East Berlin is certainly a hip and happening area. Things are moving so quickly that they become stale almost before people have discovered them. It was a toasty 35C earlier in the week so we ended up going to a swimming pool that had sprung up in the ruins of an old railway building. Our friends said that it was a cool place to hang out at the moment but was getting worse as more people discovered it. Ain't that always the way! It was pretty close to an area so full of bars and restaurants that it would keep your average student happy for months.

Other things - great street market in Kolwitzstrasse on Sundays, plus plenty of cafes to mooch around in drinking coffee and people watching. Coffee was pretty good in general. Cortado seemed to give the best results. Street food market in the Kulturbrauerie as well as lots of other things to see. Take a walk along Bernauer strasse to get an idea of what the wall must have been like and the changes that have happened since. Some of the personal stories of families split and daring defections are fascinating.

You can pick up a boat ride on the Spree from the bridge near the DDR museum on Karl Liebknecht strasse near the Berliner Dom. Interesting to do early on to give you an idea of where to go. Nikolai district very touristy but they have some fun German period comedy (in authentic costume) on a Sunday.

Definitely worth getting on the S bahn out towards Potsdam. If you get of at Wannsee you can jump on a boat trip for about 11 euro. It is a hop on hop off service that takes in about 7 stops in 2 hours. There is a millionaires row feel to the houses on the lakeshore which vary from uber-modern boxes to traditional German schloss-type properties. Great day out if you want to escape the heat of the city for a bit. Jump off at the Moorlake stop and turn right and you will find a really good restaurant.

As for coffee - we visited the Barn and Bonanza because they were only a short walk from where we were staying. They were actually pretty similar in style. The Barn perhaps a little more spartan. Had a tasty coffee in each (Aeropress Ethiopian Nano Challa in The Barn and a Kenyan Karinga V60 in Bonanza). Staff were a mix of brits and Aussies as far as I could tell. Perhaps all the Germans were busy roasting. Bought a couple of 250g bags which were not cheap - 12-16 euro. The Barn do a free cupping on Saturday afternoons at 2pm. Overall it was good coffee but I was having much more fun drinking okay coffee and enjoying the atmosphere of some of the cafes and bars in the area.

lastly - good shopping in Alexander platz (my wife now seems to have three pairs of Birkenstocks). TV tower can be booked in advance but didn't bother. Building next to it has some kind of harness system that enables you to base jump off the top without the need for a parachute. Museum island can take care of your culture requirements but there are more interesting things to do.

Heading back in December .

have fun.

Berlin pool party -

?ui=2&ik=49eb954955&view=fimg&th=14f934ca70a29b7b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ_irzuEiqRo9vDIpMSYTPkfMFlM6xu9r0zEKuReVyaG-uRWZcPNf02T2vNduNUfOY4fAiiCCXEDqDCOWM6aopPRWUVqkzDTkLhYahRZpf7ckSiLyUG79YAUC18&ats=1441285402048&rm=14f934ca70a29b7b&zw&sz=w1416-h655

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Well folks thanks for all your tips. Im back and it was great! Did a lot in our time in Berlin. Got Welcome travel passes on arrival at Schonefeld Airport and used the fully by every travel means - U Bahn / S Bahn / Trams / Intercity / bus. Best public transport Ive been on. We covered a lot of both East and West. Favourite neighbourhood was Prenzlauer Berg - which was handy as we were staying near Hackesher Markt. Did a Fattires bike tour which was great fun, took in the main sights, went to Sachsenhausen Camp, shopping (KaDeWe, Galeries Lafayette, Potsdam Platz)...... Plenty of coffee drank throughout the trip and put on a few pounds with all the eating and beer.....

Manged a few of the well known coffee shops. The Barn Roastery, Bonanza, Father Carpenter (Espresso Cheesecake amazing) and West Berlin. Had a variety of brewed (V60 / Aero), Epresso and Flat whites - all good and hard to pick a favourite but I did return to Father Carpenter on more than one occassion....

Went to Street Food Thursday at Markthalle Neun - what a selection. Visited The Bird steakhouse and give 'Da Birdhouse' my seal of approval! Favourite food was 'Mustafas' street food stand beside Mehringdamm UBahn entrance. Tried the Currywurst from Curry36 - awful!

Too much to document it all but had a great time and will definately be back.

Im no photographer but took a couple snaps to break up the text....

The Barn Roastery (a well deserved warm up as it was rather cold)

IMG_20151014_104541.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg

Bonanza

IMG_20151012_141331.jpg

IMG_20151012_140218.jpg

IMG_20151012_140246.jpg

Couple more snaps....

West Berlin

IMG_20151015_112423.jpg

IMG_20151015_110834.jpg

IMG_20151015_110707.jpg

A KaDeWe Raspberry Tart.....

IMG_6195.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take any pics from Father Carpenter but check out their Facebook site.

If any of you are looking for a city break that has it all I would definately recommend you try Berlin if you haven't been.

Cheers

I love Berlin but the whole hipster thing can get a bit tiring after a while.

Great nightlife and great people though one of my fave places in the world.

Graef CM 95 - Lelit Mara PL62 (RIP Sage DTP)

Ah, I see you went to Westberlin too. We were staying not far from there so hit them up a couple of times. Never made it to the Barn but then we packed in an awful lot into a long weekend including a day with our friends who live there, thereby reducing the opportunity to turn it into a coffee tour! I love Germany though and would go there ask the time if I could get away with it.

It's now on my bucket list

Expobar Leva DB PID, Eureka Olympus 75E, Mazzer Super Jolly, Rhino Hand Grinder, Torr Trapez, On Balance Scales, VonShef Stainless Steel Double Wall French Press, VST 18, 20, IMS Shower Screen, V60, D'Ancap Cups/Saucers :coffee: