Coffee Forums banner

How do you deal with caffeine crashes?

Tags
caffiene
5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  degsey 
#1 ·
I recently didn't drink any coffee (well, hardly any) for two weeks, and I've realised now that I'm back to normal consumption, that I notice "crashing" far more - e.g. I'll have coffee in the morning, feel great for a few hours, then suddenly it feels like I need to take a nap!

Apart from just drinking more coffee, how do people deal with this? Maybe worth adding that I only ever drink coffee black and with no sugar, so it's definitely a caffeine crash as opposed to sugar. (eww)

#4 ·
Can't say I've ever noticed the effects of being caffeinated, unless I've drunk a ridiculously large number of espressos. Things like Pro Plus for example don't seem to keep me awake either. Luckily I enjoy coffee for the taste, rather than the stimulant benefit.

I've always felt any tiredness on a morning where I may not have had any coffee was due to being aware I hadn't drunk any coffee, rather than a chemical effect.

#10 ·
I'm on the other side of the equation - on the road for several weeks and no access to decent coffee (and what is available is REALLY bad). It's been a struggle, and might explain my frequent afternoon headaches! When I have access to my espresso machine I don't notice any crashes, perhaps because it is such a part of my routine that everything feels normal, regardless../

#14 ·
Sort out your caffeine withdrawal associated headache with a couple of anadin plus (paracetamol and caffeine!)

#16 ·
As I understand from a GP friend of mine, he thinks that it's similar to the headache of a hangover which is caused by dehydration. Drink more fluids and you should be fine. If it's a buzz you are losing then just keep going on the coffee. Again like drinking through a hangover to hopefully delay it to a time it won't bother you. Asleep that is.

#17 ·
ridland said:
As I understand from a GP friend of mine, he thinks that it's similar to the headache of a hangover which is caused by dehydration. Drink more fluids and you should be fine. If it's a buzz you are losing then just keep going on the coffee. Again like drinking through a hangover to hopefully delay it to a time it won't bother you. Asleep that is.
Yeah, I have to say I'm actually quite a water-conscious person, i.e. I drink a fair amount of water but this may be the answer - I'm going to increase my water consumption, keep my coffee consumption the same and see if I fare any better.

The fact that this often happens in the mornings adds strength to the suggestion; as in, it's very possible I'm dehydrated when I wake up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.