Coffee Forums banner

Portugal - cafe advice

8K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Milanski 
#1 ·
Having visited Portugal before, I'm aware that I'm going to struggle to find decent coffee for sale which means my Hasbeans, grinder and Aeropress will be travelling with us.

Does anyone know of anywhere in Portugal that does decent coffee?

#3 ·
I did notice one or two places has old-school on-demand grinders but unfortunately all places use the same two or three crap, stale coffee beans so you'll not get a decent cup anywhere.

There's a contemporary market down town called Mercado da Ribeira and there's a coffee stall in there with a shiny Faema where you'd think you'd get some but alas not.

My grand plan is to move to Lisbon and introduce speciality coffee there, but it would mainly be for the benfit of 'coffee educated' tourists as I think you'd be hard pushed to get a Portugese person to pay more than 1Euro for an espresso and as for light roasts, well forgetaboutit!

#4 ·
Cheers guys, I was hoping that a check of WBC competitors would help out, but it seems there's maybe a couple of places in Lisbon and not much else. Unfortunately (from a coffee point of view), I'm off to Porto, Sao Pedro Da Moel & the Douro valley. Maybe I'll just trade coffee for wine for 2 weeks
:)

Having been to Lisbon before we really enjoyed going to an old cafe near the funicular just out of the centre, amazing pastries and it was fun to go up to the counter and ask one of the aging baristas for a bica. The coffee was some of the hottest, most bitter Ive ever had but at least the pastry and a sachet of sugar made it manageable.

#6 ·
"A modern roasting and cooling process delivers and retains it's special aroma and excellent taste"

"Combines the intensity of robusta ground beans with the fine and delicate aroma of arabica ground beans"

"Delta cafe is Portugal market leader"

bugger

#9 ·
Literally about to start this thread myself; off to Lisbon week after next. Will be taking my own supplies but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for cafes... Doesn't sound too hopeful!

#10 ·
frandavi99 said:
Literally about to start this thread myself; off to Lisbon week after next. Will be taking my own supplies but wondered if anyone had any suggestions for cafes... Doesn't sound too hopeful!
Follow the Sprudge link above… we're off to Lisbon in October so it was good to see that there are at least a couple of places worth hunting down.

#13 ·
Visited both Fabrica and Copenhagen Coffee Lab today; both are well worth a visit.

Fabrica is a nice place quite near to the other sites. The usual espresso based offerings along with a range of filter choices; V60, Aeropress and French press. I was very happy with my espresso and sandwich watching them weigh out green beans for the toaster towards the back. Staff were friendly if a little slow, so be patient!

Copenhagen Coffee Lab was a bit of a trek but I had the best V60 there I've had in ages; super clean and zesty. Breakfast was great and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her flat white. I expect I'll pop back here in the week just to drink some more of that coffee. Didn't see what it was or if they sold bags but I'll be looking a lot closer next time.

#15 ·
Pastel de Nata is the saving grace of a trip to Portugal (and Macau should you find yourself on the other side of the world). I could eat those til they came out of my ears. They even knock our English custard tarts into a cocked hat and I consider those a delicacy!

#17 ·
Pasteis de Sintra are pretty good too. Also had one with a cherry filling that was great. I'm trying to eat my way through the different pastries, good ones are a lot easier to find than good coffee.

#20 ·
Paid a return visit to Copenhagen Coffee Lab yesterday. The espresso was disappointingly ordinary but I chatted to the barista about another V60 and she recommended a Guat and translated the tasting notes (from Danish to English) promising me apples and chocolate. It pretty much delivered spot on. Not as good as the previous V60 but still very good.

On the way out I got over excited and grabbed a bag of their Ethiopia Kochere only to realise it's already 6 weeks post roast. Still tastes pretty good in my Aeropress this morning though.

In pastry related news we also hit up the original Pastreis de nata shop in Belem; a massive tourist trap but to be fair also the best we've eaten yet. My wife ate four....

#23 ·
You inspired me.....

Food Ingredient Recipe Tableware Baked goods

Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

First attempt.....could have been worse! I'll not be near Portugal anytime soon so I thought I'd bring a little Portugal to me!

Attachments

#25 ·
They look incredible for a first attempt, nice one! We have a Portuguese sandwich bar at home that makes them, my wife assures me they are pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.