rob1803

Cherub help!!!

Hi,

I have my Cherub plugged into an electronic timer so that it is ready to go when I get home from work. On Saturdays I have it timed to come on at 12 noon. When I got home from work around 1.30 I could smell burning and realised that somehow I had managed to leave the water switch in the on position- effectively the machine was pumping out water for 90 minutes and then was obviously still pumping when dry....:(:(

Having switched off and let the machine cool down I tried refilling with no problems. The machine now heats up, gets up to 1 bar, steams and the water tap works fine.

The problem appears to be that the pump is not pumping water with any pressure through the group- rather a trickle. I have actually managed to get it to produce an undrinkable coffee but that is running for well over a minute.

I am thinking maybe a new pump and have seen them on espresso underground. Anybody with any knowledge of these have any ideas whether it will be pump replacement or anything else. I'm happy to give it a go stripping down, but obviously don't want to be replacing parts unnecessarily.

Any help or ideas appreciated guys ....

Rob

Pumps won't like running for such a large period of time so I should imagine that's what'll be broke

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Pump is a pretty sound bet. They aren't meant to run for that long, let alone empty!

Also if its filling then its a good sign everything else is working, just a pump forced toward an early grave.

Thanks for the info guys- I'll have to dig out the adjustable spanner then lol.

You can order direct from Fracino here

http://www.fracino4u.com/spare-parts-c8

But £50 seems a lot for a consumer machine pump, take the back off and find out what the make of the pump is and see if you can find a cheaper one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/PUMP-DEFOND-PUMPS-PHOENIX-50N-230V-50HZ-53W-NO-ULKA-PUMP/331239038390?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p5197.c100068.m2280&_trkparms=ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211130857%26meid%3Df0c7604066794b76a75d0a907a9d2e60%26pid%3D100068%26clkid%3D7738538778531018008&_qi=RTM2063723

This is the pump. I got the one from Fracino and paid £60 including next day delivery, simply because I'm impatient and couldn't wait for shipping from Italy, but £24 delivered is a big saving. It took me five minutes to replace it and I'm back drinking Rave signature again :)

Not sure if it's the pump that's gone on mine but might be a good place to start!!

It does sound like the pump. Have a look here.

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/vibration-pump-is-it-worn-out

To carry out the tests you would need a few bits and bobs and to learn where your OPV is and such things. If it were me, I would just get a new pump and install it, as the link says, its an easy job and at worst you will be slightly out of pocket but with a new pump. The £24 to me would be worth it in comparison to the time and energy it would take to learn how to and then test the pump you have.

The pump is an easily obtainable vibe pump. I can't remember the details but it does say on the pump itself. It's not exclusive to coffee machines so shop around rather than by it from a coffee site. They aren't much more than about £15

Modded Fracino Heavenly | Eureka Zenith 65e | 15g/18g VST's | Made By Knock 58.35mm Tamper | Torr 58.4mm Tamper | AeroPress | V60 | NotNeutral Mugs | A cupboard full of stuff

Get in touch with fracino. They will point you towards where you can buy a new pump and will probably help with how do fit it too. I bought a second hand cherub and replaced the pump, took about 10 minutes. Failing that try espresso underground.

Hi. It was really very easy. Just unscrew the covers, it will be clear how the pump comes off and which parts you need to take off the old pump when you see the new one. There are some exploded diagrams of cherub parts on the internet, they show you how everything fits together and once you have the covers off it will make sense.

Don't worry it really is very easy. If you get into problems fracino are very helpful on the phone I'm told☺.

Hi. It was really very easy. Just unscrew the covers, it will be clear how the pump comes off and which parts you need to take off the old pump when you see the new one. There are some exploded diagrams of cherub parts on the internet, they show you how everything fits together and once you have the covers off it will make sense.

Don't worry it really is very easy. If you get into problems fracino are very helpful on the phone I'm told☺.

I have copies of the exploded diagrams if anyone needs them.

I have copies of the exploded diagrams if anyone needs them.

That would be great if you could email me them I have week off in couple of weeks so going to try and fix it then just need to order the pump

Don't buy a 240V pump. These vibe pumps are severely effected by line voltage, a 240v pump was the source of most of my issues when I rebuilt a cherub.

Go for same pump with uprated brass fittings and 230v.

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

Masses of information up on HomeBarista if you have a poke around

@obsessivity

CallumT do you have a link to a recommended pump? The one above on flee bay is 230v so should be ok I don't paying a little extra though if need be

Voltage noted, I only looked at the pump fitted, try and grab an EX5 as it has brass fittings that may be abit more robust.

@obsessivity

You can save a few quid over that by buying from ebay, but that pump is correct.

Just found one 11.99 delivered on flee bay so hopefully next week I can get the machine back up and running

Thank you everyone for your help I replaced the pump this morning and just managed a nice espresso 18g in 26g out 26sec so think we are back up any running no horrible noise. Naked pf a bit messy so need to look into that though