Stevebee

Hausgrind vs Lido 3 grind settings

Have just received a new walnut Hausgrind which should have been good news.

However, as I'd sent a number of emails and various voicemails cancelling the order a few weeks ago it was a suprise to see the wooden box delivered today. Especially as I'd bought a Lido 3 from Coffehit (next day delivery - excellent) in the meantime!

Immediate reaction was to put it up for sale but it looks so nice I am tempted to keep both.

Run some beans through to do a quick comparison between the two grinders.

On the Lido 3 the range from Espresso to Fine Drip for me is from 1 notch from zero to 10 notches, not a massive amount of turn (there are 16 notches on the ring). At 1 notch though it is fine.

However on the Hausgrind I dialled in the grind that equates to a 10 on the Lido 3 which was to my eyes 1 full revolution plus 9 o'clock (1 plus 9/12). I went down as low as 3 o'clock which was like talcum power with Espresso at about 6 o'clock, a little finer than the Lido 3

So a Haugrind at 6 or 7 on the dial equates to 1 notch on the Lido 3 (very slow output at this setting).

This looks to me as though there is more headroom / finer adjustment for Espresso on the Hausgrind than the Lido 3 although both can produce for Espresso. I know that the Lido 2 setting 16 is the equivalent of 10 on the Lido 3 - seems the new swiss burrs is the difference.

Both grinders are very easy to grind with, the Hausgrind probably a bit smoother but not much in it

After doing this grind comparison, if I sell one it will probably be the Lido 3 but more likely we're going to stay a 2 grinder family

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

https://www.kaffeeculture.co.uk

When tightened, the zero on the dial is exactly at the zero on the handle so I guess no offset

Espresso : Vesuvius Steel Pipework, Londinium L1, Ponte Vecchio Lusso  Grinders : EK43 & Titus alignment tool, Compak E10, Mazzer Royal, Niche Zero Black, Macap MC7 Deli, OE Pharos, Hausgrind, Feldgrind, Feld 47

Did a quick brew on the V60 2 cup to verify some settings. At 6 notches on the Lido 3 the total brew time (with my technique) was 2:10 On the Hausgrind at 1 and 1/2 turns (1 and 6 o'clock) it took 2:16 total - same beans, 17g weight with the same technique with the Hario kettle with 275ml brew weight.

So it looks like 6 on Lido 3 is about 1 + 7 o'clock on Hausgrind - I do prefer the wider spread of adjustment on the Hausgrind. However it is difficult to be specific about grind consistency but visually both look good.

Haven't tried French Press grind as I don't own one.

How long did it take from order to delivery for the hausgrind. They look lovely grinders, I opted for the lido3 in the end.

Sadly, delivery on Hausgrind/Feldgrind can be very hit and miss. Some members have been waiting many weeks for their orders.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Ordered 23 June after they were showing in stock on the website with an order confirmation received next day.

Payment taken next day as well.

Tried to cancel via email and phone on 9th July as I was planning on a cycle tour of Europe and needed to have the grinder before I left so bought a Lido 3 from Coffeehit (delivered next day) instead

My tour was unfortunately delayed a few weeks. Hausgrind delvered today, 21st July - less than weeks.

So now have 2 grinders. Will keep both for now