jkb89

Getting the maximum sweetness out of an aeropress?

Anyone got any methods to yield the best sweetness out of a bean? I've just ordered some Yirgs from HasBean but want to try and aim for a really funky sweet brew - any tips?

Cheers,

Joe.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. :coffee:

Use the best water you can to start with .

Try a dose of 13g , pretty fine grind ..leave it to steep for a long long time.

@garydyke1

How long is a long long time gary? Will try one now!

30 mins?? Wow! Ok.... I'll give it a shot...

Long brewing takes the extraction yield up to 24-25% and, as a result, can pull the sweetness out of the brew. Works the same when long brewing cafetiere, Sowden and other immersion brewers.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Long brewing takes the extraction yield up to 24-25% and, as a result, can pull the sweetness out of the brew. Works the same when long brewing cafetiere, Sowden and other immersion brewers.

For me it seems to lose acidity which I like in a brewed coffee

With higher yields the sweetness balances the acidity rather than getting rid of it.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Had a go guys, could only manage 15 mins before the temp dropped too much. I've got nothing that'll insulate it to drag the brewing time out a bit longer :-( its too tall to fit in my tea cosy... Can I start off a bit hotter? I started it at approx 80oC but if I can push that up it'll last a bit longer.... Doesn't seem any discernable difference from my 1min brew in the 15 min one :-(

Start in the 90's and wrap a tea towel round it which should help. Sorry can't be more specific on the start temp been a long time since done this on an aeropress / don't know the bean ( am sure Gary will offer up a good start temp).

Then, crucially, leave it alone for 30-35 minutes, have a look in the brewed section for comment on long steep sowdens / clevers for any further tips (which you could do whilst it merrily brewing away :-) )

Hope of help

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

A saucer to cover the top of the aeropress does the job for me. I've done 30 min steeps and it's still hot.

30 mins in the Clever got me from 95-96*C to 55-56*C which was still plenty hot to drink right away.

Start as high a temp as possible. If its too cold after 30 mins you must be in Jeebsy's kitchen

@garydyke1

I've always sworn by the recipe of 19g - 265g of water...Non inverted. It's quite a high dose and just really hits you in the face with a great body. Especially with a hasbean Yirgs this should give you lots of flavour:

19g - 265g

50g pre infusion for 30 secs and a good stir.

Poor up to 265g (it should be pretty much right at the top of the aeropress) and give it another stir.

Fit the plunger on the top to stop any dripping through the bottom of the aeropress and also keep the temp in.

At 1:30 plunge for 30 secs. Alter the grind around this recipe keeping it as strict as possible. usually quite fine as 1:30 is quite a short brew time.

Let me know how it goes,

Lawrie

Just followed Gary's suggestion of a long, long steep with a fine grind. Wow, it makes such a difference. Admittedly I wrapped it in a tea towel and forgot about it for 50 mins but result was a cup of tasty coffee at 47c, warm enough to slurp and enjoy immediately . So much more taste from these beans than my usual aeropress and they taste sweeter. Thanks @garydyke1. What water would you suggest buying to help even further? Nearest Waitrose is 90 min round drive

Gaggia Classic (Silvia Wand) | Eureka Mignon | 58mm Reg Barber 'Hasbean' Tamper | Aeropress |CCD| French Press

Just followed Gary's suggestion of a long, long steep with a fine grind. Wow, it makes such a difference. Admittedly I wrapped it in a tea towel and forgot about it for 50 mins but result was a cup of tasty coffee at 47c, warm enough to slurp and enjoy immediately . So much more taste from these beans than my usual aeropress and they taste sweeter. Thanks @garydyke1. What water would you suggest buying to help even further? Nearest Waitrose is 90 min round drive

just look for ones with a fair amount of calcium and magnesium , hopefully not too much bicarb

@garydyke1

Use the best water you can to start with .

Try a dose of 13g , pretty fine grind ..leave it to steep for a long long time.

I'm guessing using an inverted steep.

Grind in first?

Don't stir?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I've been trying this for about a week now and it's great really brings new flavours to the table. I still bloom and stir for thirty secs then top up to near the top and stir again a few times. Wrap in a towel and wait for 30 mins brilliant. I'll try the next without a bloom and stir and see if it's different.

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

I'm then gonna muck with the grind to see where I get the best taste for me.

Londinium R, Hg-one, button tamper, vst,ims,V60,siphon,aeropress...and still no idea

I'm guessing using an inverted steep.

Grind in first?

Don't stir?

i stirred with the pour, if that makes sense. Then flipped it before plunging , which again agitates . But play around and see what works for you

@garydyke1

i stirred with the pour, if that makes sense. Then flipped it before plunging , which again agitates . But play around and see what works for you

Cheers Gary, always good to know starting point.

I tried a Sowdens today at work using a thermometer. I got stuck on a call and before I knew it it had dropped to 50c and had been steeping for over an hour. Tasted amazingly sweet, all be it on the cool side.

As I'm away next month I'm looking to see what I can do with an aeropress for long brew.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I'm going to give this another go. Anyone have a vague starting point for grind on hausgrind? 13g with 250g water? What's the target EY?

a vague starting point for grind on hausgrind? 13g with 250g water? What's the target EY?

At a guess, 1.4 on the Haus?

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com