Compak r120, is this the best grinder you can buy?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it matters not if a grinder is classed as "Best grinder" aside from ticking all boxes concerned sooner or later there will be another around the corner which will claim this and that. I think most people on the forum tend to think ahead on what grinder to get next I know I certainly do, and so long as manufacturers come up with the latest gizmo's I will always look at upgrading. as it happens I'm lucky to have the space for the R120 Hmm!

Hottop roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly Areopress, Clever Coffee Dripper

I am not knocking the grinder or its ability. I am saying its size prohibits it from being in many non commercial settings. If your claim excludes practicality and numbers owned then perhaps you are right.

I wonder what Tom thinks?

Tom will be putting his marvellous machine against it very soon. So we shall see, I like toms grinder and the work that has gone into it, but it is not available to anyone but tom so far, I will be happy to concede to a better grinder

Love life, love my wife, I’m a great guy!

If the criteria for best grinder on the forum had a rule that there had to be 5 owners you would be knackered!

Not for long though

I think it matters not if a grinder is classed as "Best grinder" aside from ticking all boxes concerned sooner or later there will be another around the corner which will claim this and that. I think most people on the forum tend to think ahead on what grinder to get next I know I certainly do, and so long as manufacturers come up with the latest gizmo's I will always look at upgrading. as it happens I'm lucky to have the space for the R120 Hmm!

I agree and my original post was a question, I sincerely hope that grinders get better as manufacturers have been somewhat lazy through the years,

I have room too... I have concerns for my financial stability....

WATER : BEANS : STUFF

What I get from the original post is the statement that this might be the grinder that delivers the best results in the cup across different brew methods.

It's caveats were stated.

If you want to be pedantic about it David (and I don't mean that in a negative way) I'd suggest a starting a separate thread with a scoring system or such like.

Coffee enema anyone?

Can someone tell me who ( not what , who ) wins later.... I'm not sure I'll be able to sleep unless I have a definitive answer

The last 20 posts have put me to sleep already

are you including your own post in that number jeebsy?

I fail to see how someone can come on here and make a bold statement like CC has, and when anyone dares to question it as I have done....all the usual mice come out of their little holes to nibble away..

tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius or http://tinyurl.com/coffeetimeforum

A friendly chat over coffee

I think most threads transend into this type of thing, I would like to keep it about discussing this grinder

And answering questions that people want answered.

I fail to see how someone can come on here and make a bold statement like CC has, and when anyone dares to question it as I have done....all the usual mice come out of their little holes to nibble away..

You have dared to question it and I appreciate that dave, I would like tom point out that my title is not a statement but a question and I am happy for healthy debate on the subject, as someone who has owned many grinders, albeit usually very briefly you are in a position to suggest alternatives based on your experience, but alas you decline.

I am more than happy for any questions about this grinder though and indeed how it compares

to any of the other grinders I have used!

Lets be honest , in the grand scheme of things . it doesn't really matter. One Dave can think one thing is best , another Dave can think another is best ....The Boots Spoonyomatic ( v4 ) will still rule them all ....

Im not gonna question what anyone thinks is best , I've not even used the grinder in question , and I'm just not bothered truth be told ...

Buy what you can afford , make tasty coffee , let people know what taste's good and is worth trying ....be happy ...

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I don't think it was an entirely serious proposition, it's too subjective, tiresome and everyone knows the ek is the best grinder in the world anyway

I must admit I'm attracted by the fact you can single dose with this bad boy and with no retention, similar to the HG I m enjoying now. Dave as you've had both will the difference in the cup be staggering or just different

Hottop roaster, Mazzer Super Jolly Areopress, Clever Coffee Dripper

I must admit I'm attracted by the fact you can single dose with this bad boy and with no retention, similar to the HG I m enjoying now. Dave as you've had both will the difference in the cup be staggering or just different

It will certainly be a lot cleaner than the hg1, both grinders do different things, as all Ek owners will attest there is a sweetness for the Ek that is not achieved by any other grinders, but the r120 is IMHO more accurate in portraying the coffee in question, which to some pallets might be too much. Is it staggeringly different, probably not, but if you want to do brewed as well then there is so little out there to get near this. I am no expert in brewed but experts have said it is awesome.

I am not saying it is not the best grinder in the world, therefore it is not up to me to suggest what is. The best grinder in my world is the E10, but not everyone will agree, but I am not asking a question/making a statement now am I. All this is subjective as the only person on here who owns one (apart from Foundry) is you. I know you like to be impartial and I am sure you are spot on with your diagnosis, therefore anyone who wants to, has the right to come on here and test your theory.

You have no problem with that, but the usual suspects seem to.....

tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius or http://tinyurl.com/coffeetimeforum

A friendly chat over coffee

I think that I have just spotted a potential gap in the market for Grinder Top Trumps.

I was already on it...

Can you wear the hopper as a hat ?

Can jeebsy bench press it ?

Biggest retention ? Biggest is best no?

Times bought by Dfk?

Do Bella Barista have it on offer ?

Reviewed By DaveC ?

No of Coffee Illuminati Endorsements ?

Famous Barista Face on it ?

Owned by how many lizards/usual suspects ?

Potential Barter worth in egg laying goatz ?

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

One Dave can think one thing is best , another Dave can think another is best ....The

Think I will change my name to martin then there can be two