Compak r120, is this the best grinder you can buy?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, quicker than expected but it makes no odds if it's doing the business.

I'm thinking of getting one to help me get rid of a big old plum tree in the back garden. I'm sure they can double as a chipper.

WATER : BEANS : STUFF

Ok, quicker than expected but it makes no odds if it's doing the business.

I'm thinking of getting one to help me get rid of a big old plum tree in the back garden. I'm sure they can double as a chipper.

Have you got the side access to get it into the garden?

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

Have you got the side access to get it into the garden?

I've got a mate who works for a crane company so he could crane it into the back garden

WATER : BEANS : STUFF

From distant hazy memory didn't coffeechap post a coffee grinder video last year of a beast of a thing...Chipping wood!

The R120 truly is "large" though. Saw and tasted the results of it in the one and only L1 shot I got to pour myself at the Rave day, even given my hamfisted amateur use of the L1 behind the counter was a very tasty shot, certainly the equal of anything pulled on other machines using an EK as grinder by far more experienced persons than I.

There was talk of getting a stool or box out so that people could see in the top (sorry Heligan:-) ) as on the counter top really was high up.

Had I the money, probably would especially as the other members of our family like Daleks, would be an easy sell with some tennis balls stuck on the side :D

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 117Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

I've got a mate who works for a crane company so he could crane it into the back garden

Is it strong enough?

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

I would like to suggest that this is not the best grinder you can buy. It only is available to single people with holes in their head, who forget to wear caps on cold days. To be the best grinder in the world it has to be fit for purpose and be capable of actually fitting in your house

tapatalk.com/groups/vesuvius or http://tinyurl.com/coffeetimeforum

A friendly chat over coffee

Everybody s best grinder will be different - reflecting space, obsessiveness , taste preference and cash...I'm sure the people that have frankt latest incantation would suggest it is very good too.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Suggest away Dave, as far as grind quality and versatility go it is amazing, It is fit for purpose, it's a deli grinder that can work in a shop. Some people will use it in the home but that is not what it or pretty much any commercial grinder is designed to do, you had the two that were and moved them on!

Love life, love my wife, I’m a great guy!

The fax machine was a brilliant invention but totally redundant until someone else bought one

I am not saying it is not an amazing grinder, it is. I am saying it cannot be the best grinder in the world for a number of other, practicality based reasons.

The fax machine was a brilliant invention but totally redundant until someone else bought one

I am not saying it is not an amazing grinder, it is. I am saying it cannot be the best grinder in the world for a number of other, practicality based reasons.

I don't hink I specified where it might be used in the original post, as I said before all commercial grinders are fit for purpose and that is in a commercial environment, we chose to adapt, adopt and modify them for our homes, some people with have space others won't. There are more than one of us that have these niw so it is beginning to be a good product.

Hey, I like the product! But my point is in the home environment it can only realistically be in a small number of homes because of its size. That is not knocking it at all but stating the fact that a lot of people who would love to own one cannot. Therefore it cannot be the best grinder in the world as affordability. And practicality must feature.

Fair enough, what grinder gets near it then across all environments and all brewing methodologies, only one springs to mind for me and that is just as big and is used in quite few households on here!

Edited by coffeechap

depends on the criteria you set. to assess something, you need a criteria. The Bugatti Phaeton maybe the best car in the world, but if you added practicality, costing availability of householders to actually buy one, then it would be no where near the top.

Why do you think the Sage Dual Boiler does so well?They have pitched it correctly and I would not be surprised if there were more Sage DM machines in the UK than many other respected makes!

I have set the criteria best all round grinder! So

Many aspects may be at play, but grind consistency across all methods, quality and clarity of the end result, ability to single dose with zero retention, noise levels, size, build quality, price. Please give me an example as like I said so far for me there really is only one other grinder out there.

I think I have covered those points and in the absence of your alternative I shall maintain my stance.

depends on the criteria you set. to assess something, you need a criteria. The Bugatti Phaeton maybe the best car in the world, but if you added practicality, costing availability of householders to actually buy one, then it would be no where near the top.

Why do you think the Sage Dual Boiler does so well?They have pitched it correctly and I would not be surprised if there were more Sage DM machines in the UK than many other respected makes!

Do you mean the Bugatti Veyron?

The Bugatti Phaeton would possibly be a little too long in the tooth to be considered the best car in the world

image.jpg

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Do you mean the Bugatti Veyron?

The Bugatti Phaeton would possibly be a little too long in the tooth to be considered the best car in the world

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15635[/ATTACH]

He very traditional you know

You know what I mean! Something exclusive cannot win a best of award.....

But anyone can buy one, people spen a lot of money on kit on here, it will never be an entry level grinder but then the best of a lot of things are not!, unless you said best budget grinder! Or best small

Grinder, some people will use this in their home some people will be able to afford it some people will value the exceptional grind quality and zero retention, however some won't on all counts