Compak r120, is this the best grinder you can buy?

however the ek just doesn't give the clarity that the r120 does!

That's a bold statement , at what extraction yield ? What brew method ? I've not had similar levels of clarity as the EK from any grinder , Marco Uber Included .

@garydyke1

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a bold statement , at what extraction yield ? What brew method ? I've not had similar levels of clarity as the EK from any grinder , Marco Uber Included .

Indeed it is gary, perhaps you should try one, I am no expert on brewed coffee as you and others are but I am sure lee will chip in soon enough, I can only comment on shots done side by side with the ek (coffe burrs) and the r120 on the l2

Love life, love my wife, I’m a great guy!

Don't have any gaping holes in my coffee enjoyment right now, nor the money to invest .

And that is all that matters, if you get what you want from the kit you have then perfect, I believe spence invited you down for a play on the beast?

And that is all that matters, if you get what you want from the kit you have then perfect, I believe spence invited you down for a play on the beast?

He did but life's too busy right now and weekends are far too short

@garydyke1

He did but life's too busy right now and weekends are far too short

Fair enough, would love your opinion on it though at some point

Yep totally with you, it is a grinder for someone who is in charge of the kitchen!

775mm!? Nearly 3ft tall!

I'm so not in charge of my kitchen.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

Have you used the r8, r80 or r100? Any good?

Considered all of them but they don't have the exit chute mechanism that the r120 has, so will probably retain a lot more coffee

Happy to run one at home or the roastery for a week. If it kicks ass then we'd say so. Can swap for mucho coffee

Let me get it back for a couple of weeks then I will get it up to you for a couple of weeks

Considered all of them but they don't have the exit chute mechanism that the r120 has, so will probably retain a lot more coffee

Ah ok thanks. Watching with interest!

I saw it at the forum day at Rave and actually think it is quite good looking. I like the stark industrial design. If I had the money (I don't) and the space (again no) and SWMBO signed off on it (snowball's chance in Dubai) I would prefer the looks of the R120 to the EK43. I have no doubt that the build quality of the EK43 is exceptional, but the R120 makes the EK43 look like Heath Robinson whipped it up in his garden shed.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Yeah I like its appearance too. But it's blinking massive (and about £1500 more than I can spend on a grinder!)

Yeah I like its appearance too. But it's blinking massive (and about £1500 more than I can spend on a grinder!)

It does replace all the grinders though similar to the Ek

It does replace all the grinders though similar to the Ek

Don't tempt me - although I'll keep looking at it. (Anyway I only have 2 at the moment - £750 75e and a £50 Cimbali for decaf!)

Don't tempt me - although I'll keep looking at it. (Anyway I only have 2 at the moment - £750 75e and a £50 Cimbali for decaf!)

Wait till brewed grips you

Wait till brewed grips you

Oh no! I've dabbled but I'm far too impatient.

(Always open to experiencing an epiphany though!)

I've written some thoughts after spending a couple of weeks with the R120, I promise I'll post tomorrow, it's been one of those months!!

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

The EK 43 is coming in a cut-down version the stam will be quit a bit lower!

02-10-16 Eeklo Belgium, I'm on it with my great coffees for the second time <first time!="">

The biggest outside Flea market from Vlaanderen 1400 stands

Sales flap open; 08:00 www.facebook.com/A3koffie < My coffee-trailer >

!! I Love CoffeeForums UK !!

</first>

No not at all, the chain mechanism is purely for the grind adjustment mechanism, it does not move during operation, the r120 is a lot quieter than the ek43 in operation

Beauty & the beast!

In charge of the kitchen counter tops & actually have the space, having just bought the 75e though which I'm VERY pleased with & am only making brewed at the moment, but if in six months the R58 has still not pulled a shot & I'm a confirmed brewed man I could see the Rocket & 75e going to fund one of these & my coffee journey (domestically at least!) being reached :)