coffeechap

Compak r120, is this the best grinder you can buy?

Thanks for the input! I think it comes down to the question of single-dosing vs on demand, which as of now i cannot answer good enough to decide between the R120 and a ceado e37s or compak e8, which would be my od choices.

Life is hard that way...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

The r120 is so much more versatile, you will not waste coffee, enjoy better coffee although it is big

AKA Toffee chips

My switch was from the R120 to the E8.

E8 is more than enough for my needs, but then I am not single dosing anymore.

As CC says, the R120 is more versatile, but it is also twice the price (which is alot of coffee waste) and looks like it could be used to grind other grinders.

The zero retention on the R120 is remarkable though. It was never under and on occasion came back over. It was therefore creating coffee!

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

The question is, will i be switching beans enough to justify single-dosing... An e8 or ceado would maybe be a bit less hassle. Thinking of hosting some friends i.e., weighing each cup separately, oh my...

Weigh beans, throw in top, weigh grinds. Process probably still quicker than using an OD when you take into account filling / setting up timers etc on a shot by shot basis (I state this based on experiences using the Mythos with 75mm titanium burrs which are not exactly a slouch either)

Is not really about speed of grind though or at least shouldn't be in the home environment and in a commercial environment you would need to weight out into small pots first to make use viable.

It is however about taste in the cup and versatility. Bear in mind have a Lido 3 bought for pour over / immersion brews and a Mythos for volume use, I still find I use the R120 95+% of the time as put stickers on the outer dial to go back and forth to (do this for other beans too, should I want to swap between beans)

Is it overkill in the home, absolutely but I suspect it would also be overkill in many a commercial environment as would other titan grinders especially when most paying customers have milk in their coffees.

Would I have another, in a heartbeat :) What I would say though and this echo's what said above, try if you can to use one, taste the output with a bean you are familiar with as your taste buds will be the one writing the expensive cheque (unless of course you are running a deli or need to grind lots for others then go ahead)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Funny though that there is no R120 in the german Kaffee-Netz. Compak seems to lack a bit of distribution here

Fantastic grinder! I had the chance to try it while visiting a roastery a awhile ago and comparing it with a K30, it was impressive. Espresso delivered on another level, clear, mild, perfumed, i fell in love. The noise though...Jesus...unusable at home unless you live in a atomic shelter.

No, live in a normal house with normal people in :)

No noisier than the Compak K10PB near it and massively shorter time wise for grind so can only assume was being used with the bag shaker in place and the lid open on the hopper. Take the bag shaker mech off ( silver shiny long bit hanging down front would have made a noise like a concrete mixer with a brick in, driven by a concentric device in the base also needing removal) and way, way quieter.

Still huge and imposing though, not for everyone. Glad you enjoyed your espresso, very transparent of how the bean roasted (both good and bad) and different in that respect to other titans such as the EK43 which address the bean in a different manner.

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

I'll second what @johnealey said, it's actually really easy to live with! Without the bag shaker it's not too loud and I'm sure Frans disconnected the chute scraper on his to make it even quieter (not that I've felt the need to) Don't get me wrong, it is a beast and sounds like a jet engine when the burrs are spinning but it's quieter than my blender haha

IMG_20190129_120849.jpg

La Marzocco Linea Mini, Compak R120