coffeechap

Compak r120, is this the best grinder you can buy?

having owned and used A LOT of grinders, including most of the top end ones, I have settled on the compak R120, why you might ask? Well I know it is a behemoth weighing in at over 30 kgs and it is plain huge and impractical for a kitchen (unless you you just don't care), but I have been getting the most crystal clear of shots from this beast and as a bonus that clarity continues into brewed methodology, fruits are in your face, bold and beautiful a touch of sweetness but so clean.

It transcends all roast levels and will even grind for Turkish, there really is nothing grinder wise that this cannot do. So I open this thread for those that have it to discuss the beast and what we are getting from it and for those that don't to ask as many questions as they like

image.jpg

Love this image from frans

image.jpg

Just love the chain adjustment mech

image.jpg

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

What's the retention like ?

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Pretty much zero

AKA Toffee chips

Pretty much zero

Under what circumstances?

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

so,why have these not caught on then, or are they just starting to?

Under what circumstances?

Single dosing, just pop your weighed beans in the top and what comes out is what you out in, pretty much

AKA Toffee chips

I think it just didn't have the kudos of a famous barista behind it

AKA Toffee chips

I was gonna ask about that with the size of the hopper!!! So that's just off permanent or you single with weight in hopper?

sig was stupid long........

they are not discreet and I am guessing this may have something to do with it fitting into a domestic setting . A bit akin to parking a dalek in the kitchen .

it is as they say a beast of a grinder !!!

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

I was gonna ask about that with the size of the hopper!!! So that's just off permanent or you single with weight in hopper?

No weight required with this bad boy just the beans you want to use, I leave the hopper on, spence has been plying using an aero press funnel

AKA Toffee chips

they are not discreet and I am guessing this may have something to do with it fitting into a domestic setting . A bit akin to parking a dalek in the kitchen .

it is as they say a beast of a grinder !!!

Yep totally with you, it is a grinder for someone who is in charge of the kitchen!

AKA Toffee chips

How about the R140?

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I'd love to see one in the flesh, perhaps I can kill two birds and see one in a coffee shop and taste the goods too...

WATER : BEANS : STUFF

How does the size compare to my Royal?

How about the R140?

R140 is three phase

AKA Toffee chips

How does the size compare to my Royal?

It is a lot bigger

Here it is next to the e10 and e8

image.jpg

Edited by coffeechap

AKA Toffee chips

Ah, OK that explains why it isn't often mentioned. (R140)

It is a lot bigger

Here it is next to the e10 and e8

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15613[/ATTACH]

jeepers, I was thinking big but that's.... BIG!!

jeepers, I was thinking big but that's.... BIG!!

Footprint is not much different though, so no more counter space is taken up, royal is bigger than the e10 as well

AKA Toffee chips

I think it just didn't have the kudos of a famous barista behind it

It's got you behind it

Interested to see how Spence gets on with it, his early indications were the flavour profile was a bit different to the German.

I just can't get on with the looks, it is nicer to use than the EK (switch, no thwacker) but it looks like a bollard or something

I'd argue the grind profile limits flexability on brew ratios . Anecdotally levels of sweetness aren't there to match the EK v2 coffee burrs. That said , I'm happy to test one for a while : )

@garydyke1

It's got you behind it

Interested to see how Spence gets on with it, his early indications were the flavour profile was a bit different to the German.

You are too kind!

Spence found the clarity amazing and the retention amazing too, it is different to the ek43 which has a sweetness in the shots unlike any other grinder, however the ek just doesn't give the clarity that the r120 does! Build quality is streaks ahead over the ek but it is an acquired taste in the looks department I will grant you that

AKA Toffee chips

I'd argue the grind profile limits flexability on brew ratios . Anecdotally levels of sweetness aren't there to match the EK v2 coffee burrs.

Ask lee gary, the r120 might just pip the ek for brewed, now there's a shocker!

AKA Toffee chips

Build quality is streaks ahead over the EK

Anything flimsy on the EK is designed to be cheaply replaced. The body and motor will and has lasted decades.

@garydyke1

Anything flimsy on the EK is designed to be cheaply replaced. The body and motor will and has lasted decades.

The paint is not cheap to replace and chips easier than any grinder I have owned

AKA Toffee chips