Anybody know the guarantee that comes with one of these? Emailed coffeehit, but haven't had a response yet.

Ive considered rhino grinder and the hario's and I was going to hold off and treat myself at Christmas to a lido, but I don't think I can wait.

I really love the knock grinders, but it's just the long wait.

So I'm stuck between the lido2/3......... Don't travel that much so I could really go with either.

I know the ground coffee jar on the lido2 is glass.....is the bean holder also glass on 2?

Anybody got any advice which to go for.....not sure at the moment.

Thanks

Bean holder/hopper is BPA free plastic on both Lidos.

Not sure what kind of guarantee you are looking for, in normal use it's hard to see how you could break it?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Guarantee is going to be 12 months from retailer.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Lido 3 is lighter than the 2. Has a fold back crank for travel purposes.

MWJB.....Always worth knowing that something has a decent guarantee or back up......even if there is little chance of it breaking.....if it's a good product why not back that up.

Has anybody had chance to play with both a 2 and 3?

Has anybody had chance to play with both a 2 and 3?

I have both. What are you curious about?

Hi jbviau.........I have no experience with hand machines and as such really don't know which one to go for. Which is your goto out of the two when used at home?

With regards to turning do you find the lido3 easier or isn't there much difference?

Does the build quality seem better on one particular model?

Are they both similar in the cup?

thank you

wuyang

If am correct, reading the descriptions on Coffeehit if this is where you are looking at getting from, both have the same burr set now as previously available only on the Lido 3. Might be worth an ask to confirm which set is in the lido 2 as, if they are, your choices will then become aesthetics / weight over grind quality. If the new ones are not agressive enough for you you can always source the older lido 2 ones which (according to

from Hungry Ferret are interchangeable

Link to oeshop site that lists the differences should you not have seen this before : http://www.oehandgrinders.com/LIDO-Grinder-Chooser_ep_47-1.html

Hope of help and in the same research phase as yourself at the moment by the sound of it ( Coffehit have both in stock at the moment, having had them on back order for a while)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Think burr set in Lido 3 is slightly different to Lido 2 - less aggressive.

I'll have to give them a ring to confirm, but it does state On coffee hit that the lido 2 has 40mm Swiss steel burrs like johnealey said,( which from what I read used to be the Italian burrs).I knew the lido3 had the Swiss burrs from day one.

Just phoned coffeehit and asked about the burrs, the lido 2 now has the Swiss burr set same as the lido 3. I also asked about if the grinder comes with any guarantee......a straight foward question, but seemed a confusing question the person on the phone......after a while I was told no they don't have a guarantee, but we would send it back to orphan esspresso if anything goes wrong....odd.

So just got to decide which to go for now......

OE say they're stopping using the original Italian burrs (from the 2) and that if you want those burrs you should order soon. I assume coffeehit have re-ordered so don't have that Lido 2 model with the IT burrs and maybe you can find them from somewhere else if you do it soon...

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

^^^ I believe you'll have to order from the U.S. to be sure you're getting the Italian burrs if that's what you want (source:

).

Hi jbviau.........I have no experience with hand machines and as such really don't know which one to go for. Which is your goto out of the two when used at home?

With regards to turning do you find the lido3 easier or isn't there much difference?

Does the build quality seem better on one particular model?

Are they both similar in the cup?

thank you

wuyang

I rotate through my hand grinders on a regular basis and don't really have a favorite. Since I've had the L2 longer, I suppose I trust it more and might reach for it first when trying a coffee for the first time. The L2 and L3 are the same size, but the L2 weighs a good deal more and is, thus, a beast in comparison. The L3 cranks more easily, especially toward the finer end of the range, but also requires more turns for a given setting (~80 turns for 20 g. with my usual grind vs. ~60 turns using the L2). The L3's handle is more comfortable to hold. Build quality is great with both. In the cup, I don't notice a difference between the two, but I haven't done blind testing yet. Hope that helps!

Just phoned coffeehit and asked about the burrs, the lido 2 now has the Swiss burr set same as the lido 3. I also asked about if the grinder comes with any guarantee......a straight foward question, but seemed a confusing question the person on the phone......after a while I was told no they don't have a guarantee, but we would send it back to orphan esspresso if anything goes wrong....odd.

So just got to decide which to go for now......

Under Sale of Goods Act, your contract is with the retailer so they are responsible if something they sell goes wrong in first 12 months.

I think I will be quite content with the Swiss burrs....I'm no expert.....I'm just rubbish at making my mind up given the choice of two to pick from.

Doubt they make any difference in the cup which is where it matters.

I think I will be quite content with the Swiss burrs....I'm no expert.....I'm just rubbish at making my mind up given the choice of two to pick from.

So go for the Lido 3 then it's more flexible with a detachable handle and plastic catcher. Sorted :-)

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Lido 3 also comes with a bag to carry in wheras this is an extra on the 2. If you watch the youtube clip I linked to earlier, a couple of minutes in they start swapping out the parts so could always try and source some older 2 burrs if not happy with the 3.

I like the look of the 2, definately a beast, but with the same burrs as the 3 any previous advantage of speed / less turns has gone leaving more weight and a different handle to contend with.

Having watched Patrick (TSK above) at the Rave day grinding away on his lido 2 some Rocko mountain, I did make a comment in the morning session about making light work of the beans, I meant time wise as clearly effort wise this was not the easiest of beans to grind ( he did shoot me a filthy look at the time and now regret not taking him up on his offer to grind the rest :-) )

Was all in good humour and got to say the brewed coffee made from the Foundry Rocko Mountain, ground in the lido 2 and served so many different ways ( v60, clever,chemex, misudashi cold brew, siphon) by a quality "brewer" really was very good, with flavours in the cup that were quite astounding some of which would be down to the quality of the grind.

Right, now I've effectively talked myself into a purchase off to order a Lido from Coffeehit, question is which one...... :-)

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 106Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Ordered the lido3 today.......main reason it maybe the easier of the two on my hands.....which seem to ache a lot these days.

And that makes 3 purchases of a Lido 3 from this thread as I ordered mine this morning :-)

Was a lot easier decision now that the burrs the same and as I hate static would have ended up buying the anti statci cup for the 2 which negates the difference of cost ( still looks like a beast though)

Now to go and break the news to the Porlex that it is going into semi retirement....

John

Edited by johnealey
can't count as well as spell!

I'm still on the fence on which to get, so I have a few questions aimed at any owners to help me decide:

1. Does the weight of the Lido 2 make it any harder to use over the 3? Is the 2 too heavy?

2. Is the stopper on top of the 3 useful? Do beans pop out without it?

3. Lido 2 comes with a counter-top stand - how does the 3 stand without one? My Rhino grinder is always falling over at the slightest nudge.

I don't intend to take it anywhere so it's only for home use. I understand that the 2 is designed for this but wondered if there are any advantages in getting the 3. I'm not fussed on colours either - anything goes in our kitchen.

Thanks,

Andrew

OE Lido 3 Grinder | Aeropress | Kalita Wave Style Set | V60 | Espro | Clever Coffee Dripper

The Lido 1 & 2 stand just fine with the jar in place without a stand. With the jar removed the 2 & 3 stand on the adjustment ring just fine too. The base is just extra protection against significant knocks.

Bean fragments will pop out of any of them without the popper stopper. Not a massive problem...but could be annoying for others.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

And that makes 3 purchases of a Lido 3 from this thread as I ordered mine this morning :-)

Was a lot easier decision now that the burrs the same and as I hate static would have ended up buying the anti statci cup for the 2 which negates the difference of cost ( still looks like a beast though)

Now to go and break the news to the Porlex that it is going into semi retirement....

John

Make that 4 now.

Thanks MWJB for the reply.

OE Lido 3 Grinder | Aeropress | Kalita Wave Style Set | V60 | Espro | Clever Coffee Dripper

Coffeehit must be rubbing their hands at all this :-) good to support a forum advertiser.

Mine arrived this morning via tracked DPD / interlink express well within the 1 hour window advised on the mail. Just about to go and have a play, will post up some pick in a bit, but stood next to my porlex tall does remind me of the whole R120 grinder bigger than Godzilla thread also going on at the moment.

Will also be interested to hear if Lee has any suggested grind settings for the foundry Rocko and Kenyan beans winging their way to me at the moment ( going to be oh so caffeinated over the next couple of days with so many brew methods to play "noo grinder" with!).

Initial thoughts: quality heavy bit of kit, came wrapped in its own neoprene case ( extra on the Lido 2) with a brush and handles hex driver already in pockets in the side.

Now...To grind!

John