Don't worry guy's, the instructions make it sound far more daunting than it actually is.

The newer models (like you'll all have) automatically set themselves to the correct depth so no measuring required. Essentially it's as simply as removing the blanking bolt from the machine, remove any existing washer, put in new brass washer and screw in adapter finger tight then nip it up 1/8 of a turn with a spanner. Insert probe (no measuring required just push in as far as it will go) and top adapter nut and tighten up finger tight. Now give it 3/4 of turn with a spanner to compress the ferrules. Job done. Note that if you undo the adapter to remove the probe at any point then when reassembling you should only tighten the nut by 1/4 of a turn (not the original 3/4) because the ferrules will have already been deformed/compressed by the original fitting.

Having said all that, the first time you use the machine is always a bit daunting, especially if you've previously read this post ; http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/erics-e61-thermometer-2nd-degree-burn-t21918.html :)

Also be aware that that after a while (~6months) I started have an issue with the probe giving weird readings (like 300oc etc) or not always turning on. This turned out to be some corrosion/residue in the battery compartment. This appears to be an issue with the orginal manufacturer. http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?20655-Eric-s-E61-temperature-probe-problem

Edited by marcuswar

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

Having said all that, the first time you use the machine is always a bit daunting, especially if you've previously read this post ; http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-machines/erics-e61-thermometer-2nd-degree-burn-t21918.html :)

I had not read that before...

Anyone wanna buy an E61 thermometer :exit:

(j/k obvs)

Just fitted mine. Machine is currently warming up so I cant have a look at temps.

My group has an internal wonk to the path through the e61, so the thermometer juts off to the left a little.

5845CnCl.jpg

Already revealed what I suspected, brew water is too hot and not reducing with flush.

Edited by Dylan

Don't worry guy's, the instructions make it sound far more daunting than it actually is.

The newer models (like you'll all have) automatically set themselves to the correct depth so no measuring required. Essentially it's as simply as removing the blanking bolts from the machine, remove any existing washer, put in new brass washer and screw in adapter finger tight then nip it up 1/8 of a turn with a spanner. Insert probe (no measuring required just push in as far as it will go) and top adapter nut and tighten up finger tight. Now give it 3/4 of turn with a spanner to compress the ferrules. Job done. Note that if you undo the adapter to remove the probe at any point then when reassembling you should only tighten the nut by 1/4 of a turn (not the original 3/4) because the ferrules will have already been deformed/compressed by the original fitting.

/QUOTE]

Really is as simple as that! Thanks.

What the temps suggest is something else though!!

Coffee enema anyone?

• About:

Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 22000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:

We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Terms of Use

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Buy Advertising Space

Donate

Get Your Supporter Badge (per year)