Nobodysdriving

Would like to buy the Alex Duetto III but...

Hi all

a small introduction first:

female, 45 years 'young'

I am half italian and as such 'love' espresso :)

however, just recently (2 months ago) learnt to drink it with NO sugar so I have only just started appreciating it this way and the more I drink it the more I fall in love.

I bought a Gaggia Classic (old one manufactured 2005) second hand, changed the group head to a brass one, installed a PID to machine and modified pressure valve to 10bar (so it's 9 going through the coffee in portafilter)

My technique is quite good, I use a naked portafilter with VST basket 18gr.

Anyhow...

I have only had this Gaggia a month now and I am already 'drooling' and dreaming of an Alex Duetto III :D :D :D

I do not have milky drinks (the rare occasion of me doing one is for guests) but I do LOVE the idea of the Duetto III because of the rotary valve, E61 group head blah blah blah :)

I drink a minimum of 4 espresso a day (2 in the morning, 2 to 3 in the evening), occasionally I may make more than 5 a day.

My main question is:

will I really tell a difference in my espresso for the 'better' if I upgrade to this machine ? I know functionality wise it 'is' better, but the actual coffee? can I get an even better shot?

I am happy to pay the price if it will get me a better espresso, the gaggia will end up on Ebay :D

sorry if it's a stupid question by the way and if it is please forgive me and I am ready to be educated :)

thank you all for your patience

PS If I end up buying it I will drive up to BellaBarista to get it (2hrs drive for me), will they let me try it before I buy it? (I will ask them but they are closed today)

Izzo Duetto MKIV , Eureka Olympus 75E :)

:angel:

Welcome to the forum. If the Alex is hooked up at BB they will definitely let you try it. A decent espresso machine with consistent temp control will produce a better espresso but only if it is paired with a good grinder so you need to think about that if you don't already have one.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Welcome to the forum. If the Alex is hooked up at BB they will definitely let you try it. A decent espresso machine with consistent temp control will produce a better espresso but only if it is paired with a good grinder so you need to think about that if you don't already have one.

thank you systemic kid

yes I do need to upgrade the grinder too I know, at present I have the 'Sage by heston blumenthal Smart Grinder Pro' (ie the newer version), it was a pressie...

I have to admit it is quite good, but I am sure when I try another I will be even more impressed? if so which one should I go for from here?

With the Classic you might get one shot in ten where you think 'Bloody hell, that was good'. A Duetto you bring that ratio down as it will be much more consistent like TSK says. You'll need a good grinder though.

With the Classic you might get one shot in ten where you think 'Bloody hell, that was good'.

Yes I think you are right...the coffee I get out of it is mostly good but yeah, only one now and again it's a 'bloody hell' shot :D :D :D

am looking at grinders now :) would be great if one that BellaBarista has is the one so I don't have to go to more than one place or order the grinder online :)

How much are you willing to spend on a grinder?

How much are you willing to spend on a grinder?

willing any amount in theory but...... that I 'can' unfortunately not much as the Izzo machine will take all the money I have :( (well I have £2200 left more or less and credit cards of course...LOL but the Izzo is taking most of that at £1800)

so what do you think is one I can get away with without getting too big a loan from the bank?

I can always upgrade the grinder again in due course once I've saved up

Suggest you ring BB and make an appointment, then you will have their undivided attentions!They have a wide range of machines on displayed will let you use them after a chat. At the price point you are at,the Duetto is one option but also the Verona is another. In the UK this machine is a BB special, not available through anyone else. There are plenty of threads on here covering both. All Izzo owners love their machines as do Verona, so you need to ask yourself what is the real difference and forget looks! Dave who contributes on here had a hand in the design of both machines...perhaps he will chip in!

Do you need a dual boiler if not making milk drinks? The only benefit would be adjusting temp via a PID but HX machines now come with these. How about a Rocket Evo 3 saving more money for a bad ass grinder?

Do you need a dual boiler if not making milk drinks? The only benefit would be adjusting temp via a PID but HX machines now come with these. How about a Rocket Evo 3 saving more money for a bad ass grinder?

Hi, I can't find this machine...I can find the rocket Giotto or Cellini etc would you be so kind to help me as to which one it is? :) thanks

My advice go to Bella Barista, have a look at the machines. I think the Verona is a good pick for you for a number of reasons and will give you the performance you need at a decent price point. it has a number of advantages over the Duetto. If you buy a machine and grinder together, you should be able to cut a deal with BB. With a machine like the Verona don't cheap out on the grinder. The Compak K3 or Eureka Mignon is really a minimum spec grinder for that machine and a better grinder is hugely desirable.

The above is assuming you want to buy new and have a 3 year warranty on the grinder and 2 year warranty on the machine. if you buy correctly now, your pretty much done for as long as you want, as upgrading brings only small benefits after you get the right kit. So you might consider a pairing of Verona+Eureka Olympus 75E (with TiN burrs) as a very good setup.. and the Eureka TiN burrs will last you for around 30 years in domestic use and a 75mm flat burrset produces good results in the cup, it's also a very easy grinder to use, clean and live with. One word of advice though, try not to borrow money for your setup.

P.S. There are many advantages to a dual boiler machine over an HX beyond just being able to adjust temperature with a PID. I no longer own any HX machines, all mine (3 machines) are dual boiler now. I used to have 4 dual boilers, but sold one. I don't often make milk drinks and the argument about having a HX if you don't make milk drinks is not a good one. You could equally argue that if you make lots of milk drinks an HX is better. I own both a Verona and a Duetto and used to own a Rocket R58 dual boiler.

ACS Vesuvius DBPP, Izzo Duetto DB, Minima DB, Lelit Bianca Prototype DB (paddle flow control) BTC Machines: Roasters: Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster, other failed roasters: Grinders: Ceado E92, Niche US and UK: 145kg assorted greens: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/

As an upgrade path I followed this (Gaggia Classic to Alex Duetto)

The number of sink shots should be nil with the Alex

Night and Day difference between the two

If you can afford it - go for it

There is usually a Duetto plugged in at Bella Barista

Call Claudette / Marko on Monday and they will advise what's on their bench at present

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

My advice go to Bella Barista, have a look at the machines. I think the Verona is a good pick for you for a number of reasons and will give you the performance you need at a decent price point. it has a number of advantages over the Duetto. If you buy a machine and grinder together, you should be able to cut a deal with BB. With a machine like the Verona don't cheap out on the grinder. The Compak K3 or Eureka Mignon is really a minimum spec grinder for that machine and a better grinder is hugely desirable.

The above is assuming you want to buy new and have a 3 year warranty on the grinder and 2 year warranty on the machine. if you buy correctly now, your pretty much done for as long as you want, as upgrading brings only small benefits after you get the right kit. So you might consider a pairing of Verona+Eureka Olympus 75E (with TiN burrs) as a very good setup.. and the Eureka TiN burrs will last you for around 30 years in domestic use and a 75mm flat burrset produces good results in the cup, it's also a very easy grinder to use, clean and live with. One word of advice though, try not to borrow money for your setup.

P.S. There are many advantages to a dual boiler machine over an HX beyond just being able to adjust temperature with a PID. I no longer own any HX machines, all mine (3 machines) are dual boiler now. I used to have 4 dual boilers, but sold one. I don't often make milk drinks and the argument about having a HX if you don't make milk drinks is not a good one. You could equally argue that if you make lots of milk drinks an HX is better. I own both a Verona and a Duetto and used to own a Rocket R58 dual boiler.

As an upgrade path I followed this (Gaggia Classic to Alex Duetto)

The number of sink shots should be nil with the Alex

Night and Day difference between the two

If you can afford it - go for it

There is usually a Duetto plugged in at Bella Barista

Call Claudette / Marko on Monday and they will advise what's on their bench at present

thank you both for your input

I will go to BellaBarista in person as I do want to see things and talk to the people I am buying from....Dave thanks a lot for the grinder advice much much needed!

going to look at these options now

Glenn...Night and Day difference definitely sounds worth it, especially as espresso is perhaps the only treat I have in life :D

Dave would you be so kind to 'expand' as to why you think the Verona will be a more suitable option for me? also what are the advantages over the Duetto in your opinion?

thank you :)

This is why it is tricky to make decisions with different advice out there. I would always say that spending your budget wisely on a better grinder rather than a DB with something like a Mignon will improve your shots way more than the difference between top end HX and DB.

At the end of the day trying them out at BB is the way to go, fully talking through your requirements to make an informed decision.

More temp stable machine = more consistent espresso with the quality defined limited by skills, coffee , water and grinder.

More consistent grind ( from " better " grinder ) potential more in the cup taste wise but consistency limited by skills , coffee , water and machine.

Knack is to have a balance

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Give BB a call and you should be able to taste many coffees from many machine / grinder combinations if they know you coming ( there really is no pressure there) +1 on all the comments re grinder as the best machine in the world fed by a grinder not up to the task is a disappointing place to be.

Try the suggested machines with different grinders and you will hopefully taste what is being discussed above and stop at what you can afford! If you have a bean you know the taste of am sure if you ask really nicley once have tried a few shots with BB's beans they will take your beans so you can have a real test of what benefit you will gain over your current set up. Don't be suprised if the biggest taste difference in the cup comes from the choice of grinder rather than the machine itself. Old hifi adage: gargage in, garbage out, the earlier you put better components in the chain, the better with to a certain degree the law of diminishing returns being applied, so good fresh beans, good grinder, decent machine etc etc.

Hope of help and some good advice, above this post, to take along with you.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

John

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 113Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

John

will do John

I will ring them on Monday and 'book an appointment' so I will get their undivided attention :) I will have to take a day off work to go there but it will be a nice 'holiday' :D

now that 'you people' have put the Verona machine in my head I am 'intrigued' as to why this may be an other option for me to look at, but am sure at BB they will help me get to the right conclusion for myself :)

I wanted the Alex and arranged a visit to BB to test, unfortunately though they did not have o e set up so couldn't play, went for a rocket R58 in the end. As lots of said give them a call Monday and arrange a time to visit, you will get well looked after and if you couple in a grinder you should get a nice little discount as I did.

Grinder is key with these level of machines, choose well!

Twitter @Froggystyle

Hi all

a small introduction first:

female, 45 years 'young'

I am half italian and as such 'love' espresso :)

however, just recently (2 months ago) learnt to drink it with NO sugar so I have only just started appreciating it this way and the more I drink it the more I fall in love.

I bought a Gaggia Classic (old one manufactured 2005) second hand, changed the group head to a brass one, installed a PID to machine and modified pressure valve to 10bar (so it's 9 going through the coffee in portafilter)

My technique is quite good, I use a naked portafilter with VST basket 18gr.

Anyhow...

I have only had this Gaggia a month now and I am already 'drooling' and dreaming of an Alex Duetto III :D :D :D

I do not have milky drinks (the rare occasion of me doing one is for guests) but I do LOVE the idea of the Duetto III because of the rotary valve, E61 group head blah blah blah :)

I drink a minimum of 4 espresso a day (2 in the morning, 2 to 3 in the evening), occasionally I may make more than 5 a day.

My main question is:

will I really tell a difference in my espresso for the 'better' if I upgrade to this machine ? I know functionality wise it 'is' better, but the actual coffee? can I get an even better shot?

I am happy to pay the price if it will get me a better espresso, the gaggia will end up on Ebay :D

sorry if it's a stupid question by the way and if it is please forgive me and I am ready to be educated :)

thank you all for your patience

PS If I end up buying it I will drive up to BellaBarista to get it (2hrs drive for me), will they let me try it before I buy it? (I will ask them but they are closed today)

Other than the fact that I'm slightly older, not female and not even slightly Italian - I could have written your post myself a few years ago.

My drink profile is identical to yours (milk just for guests, I drink espresso or strong Americano).

I had a Classic (still have it in my office), with brass plate, PID, OPV, etc

I upgraded directly to a Duetto (II in my case). Great machine, ideal for my drink profile (yes, you want a dual boiler!).

Now I'll frustrate you - because with a great grinder you CAN get comparable shots from the Classic... I really enjoy the shots from my heavily modded Classic - but enjoy (sometimes more sometimes less) the shots from my (almost) standard Duetto.

The Duetto looks much nicer and sounds much better too!

Where are you? You may find someone on here with a Duetto who is close to you - there's a thread somewhere with wonders/machines that are prepared to help.

I'm in Wiltshire - and you could gladly bring your Classic to me and compare results if you wanted to come and see / use a Duetto.

Anyway, the upgrade that you're looking at is exactly what I did 5 years ago and I've not looked back so do it!

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Other than the fact that I'm slightly older, not female and not even slightly Italian - I could have written your post myself a few years ago.

My drink profile is identical to yours (milk just for guests, I drink espresso or strong Americano).

I had a Classic (still have it in my office), with brass plate, PID, OPV, etc

I upgraded directly to a Duetto (II in my case). Great machine, ideal for my drink profile (yes, you want a dual boiler!).

Now I'll frustrate you - because with a great grinder you CAN get comparable shots from the Classic... I really enjoy the shots from my heavily modded Classic - but enjoy (sometimes more sometimes less) the shots from my (almost) standard Duetto.

The Duetto looks much nicer and sounds much better too!

Where are you? You may find someone on here with a Duetto who is close to you - there's a thread somewhere with wonders/machines that are prepared to help.

I'm in Wiltshire - and you could gladly bring your Classic to me and compare results if you wanted to come and see / use a Duetto.

Anyway, the upgrade that you're looking at is exactly what I did 5 years ago and I've not looked back so do it!

Hi MrShades :)

thank you!

I am in the south of London

I will take up your offer of seeing the duetto (and trying its espressos) if my visit to BB does not prove 'fruitful' ;)

yes the 'heavily modded' Classic is not too bad and everyone's right that the grinder is a key part....

from this 'Sage Smart Grinder Pro' which 'lower budget range' grinder from BB will be 'better' or is there any which I should not 'bother' with as they will be similar in what they do?

If you want to spend around £200 then to get maximum value for money I'd go with a used commercial grinder - something like a nice condition Mazzer Super Jolly (or anything else with 64mm flat burrs and 1400rpm).

Much better spending £220 on a Mazzer (that'll last a life time) than slightly less on a plastic Sage (that'll fail within 2 yrs probably)

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!