simontc

Growing fruit n veg

I managed to kill all my tomato seedlings juat after transplating them by overwatering then ahead of the only 3 days it has rained this spring so far... anyhow, I started new ones but it appears the harvest will be late this year.

My tomatoes (the buffalo heart seeds) are doing really well. Germinated in 4 days and are ready to be potted on again. Ive passed a few to friends. It will be interesting to see how they grow over here

a grinder a lever and some beans

Mrs El c's ) Ox heart tomato plant (s) and strawberry plant (s)

IMG_20180503_171011.jpg

IMG_20180503_170928.jpg

IMG_20180503_170950.jpg

I'm envious, this year i think there will be no annuals and perhaps no usable strawberry crop. Time has got away with me, so the greenhouse still has last years' dead plants in, the strawberry planters are not yet made/ re-planted (the plants dies over-winter and I'd planned to replace with barrel-based strawberry planters).

Not even put any beetroot seeds in.

That said, perennials like currants, raspberries, blueberries etc are growing well, small figs forming and the plum tree had lots of bloom. Already had some rhubarb.

Must be more organised next year.

Mrs El c managed to save some strawberry plants but the Vine weevil did for quite a few. They lay eggs then large maggots eat the roots.

A good dosing of burning sulphur hopefully fumigated the G/ house. Some pea sized figs have formed. The Red currant is doing well but the Black currant is way behind :confused:

I've just pulled all my seed potatoes out of their nets as they've chitted on their own in a box. Laid them all out in trays. Got 5 verities this year.

Also just bought some more seeds (even though I've got tons..) and some onion sets. Might be a bit late for onions but with the recent weather I think it's pushed everything back.

Just waiting for some quick couplers to arrive for my BCS so I can go down the plot and turn it over. I could bolt the rotavator on the back, but it won't fit through my gate I don't think, and I don't want muck getting into the PTO (or losing my nuts).

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

Well what can be described as a rather large delivery turned up today. The poly tunnel and fruit cage.

First impressions are very good. The aluminium tube frame is substantial to say the least !

Bit of a result on some extra bags of postcrete today as well. Wickes only had damaged bags of the stuff on the shelf so I asked for some undamaged bags. The assistant put the ripped bags in a secondary polythene bag so I asked what they would do with them. They'll sell with 25% discount - that was me sold. Took 8 bags to the checkout expecting to pay £34 rather than £45. Till girl put in some magic words the screen and charged me £12 for the lot. Happy days !

Next step the simple job of putting together the jigsaw

I’m inspired!

Proper tomatoes are to die for.

Really fancy setting up a tomato plant corner in the garden. I do however have three kids, including a two year old boy. Anything glass is a non-starter. Any suggestions for a compact tomato house?

Mrs El c's ) Ox heart tomato plant (s) and strawberry plant (s)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33954[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33955[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33956[/ATTACH]

Seeds from a packet, or dried from a consumed tomato?

I’ve got a bit of space in the garden. Is it worth attempting sowing cauliflower, cabbage or broccoli? Or is it too late.

More importantly how easy is it to grow for a non green fingered person?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I’m inspired!

Really fancy setting up a tomato plant corner in the garden. I do however have three kids, including a two year old boy. Anything glass is a non-starter. Any suggestions for a compact tomato house?

You can grow them outside with success in some parts of the UK. If you're in the North then one of the cheap 4' x 2' frames with a plastic zip door is enough for a couple of plants.

Tumblers in a hanging basket works well, as with any outside tomato plants, don't put them out early that way you avoid the risk of frost.

I’ve got a bit of space in the garden. Is it worth attempting sowing cauliflower, cabbage or broccoli? Or is it too late.

More importantly how easy is it to grow for a non green fingered person?

Easy enough to grow but be aware of the cabbage white butterfly- brassicas are their favourites!

A machine, a grinder & some beans

I’m inspired!

You can get Perspex or 4mm polycarbonate sheet for greenhouses to avoid glass

Day 2 of the poytunnel build. Day one was a bit boring - 8 hours to dig 12 holes and set the ground posts in place.

Today we got the majority of the structure up and two of the four doors made.

We struggled for staging in the greenhouse. No such problems here - the left hand side will all be staging.... 30ft x 4 ft

Cant see the polythene going on tomorrow

IMG_3337.jpg

I love spring onion and fresh tomatoes, not easy to grow though every summer, usually depends on weather condition.

0d8e59c8ec11162263ad2e6a5012cbc9.jpg

Sweet corn going mad this year

0d8e59c8ec11162263ad2e6a5012cbc9.jpg

Sweet corn going mad this year

Our guinea pigs would love you!!!

They look very healthy and robust :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Our guinea pigs would love you!!!

They look very healthy and robust :)

The pigs would have to fight the chickens for the leftovers - they love 'em too

Plants are much stronger than last year. The sun and lots of water & feed seem to be to its liking

@working dog did you like the Bulgarian beefsteak tomatoes?

They have to be the ugliest tomato plants going but the tomatoes were great - just like the ones we get in Bulgaria. Lots of meat, few seeds and not too acidic. The good summer in the UK helped I think.

I have some seed left for next year when I will hopefully be more organised in the polytunnel

I already have the seeds for next years fruit and veg :

Bulgarian Tomato

Gardeners Delight tomato

Melon Emir

Melon Charentais

Sweet Pepper Long Red Marconi

Courgette Alfresco

Cucumber Sweet Crunch

While we were in Bulgaria I noticed that the Indian Bean trees in the complex had ripe seed pods. I brought some seeds home and now have over 20 bean tree seedlings

Cant grow much in the tunnel right now as it is full of tender plants for the winter

Blowing a gale here today. A few quince started falling meaning they were definitely ready to harvest. It took over an hour and resulted in excess of 200 perfect fruit, many of them half a kg in weight, plus another 40 odd wind-blown/marked fruit. From one tree! I will try and remember to take a photo of them tomorrow.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / 1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely and understanding husband 

Blowing a gale here today. A few quince started falling meaning they were definitely ready to harvest. It took over an hour and resulted in excess of 200 perfect fruit, many of them half a kg in weight, plus another 40 odd wind-blown/marked fruit. From one tree! I will try and remember to take a photo of them tomorrow.
That's alot of jam!

Laissez les bons temps rouler

That's alot of jam!

It would be if we made any! Apart from keeping a few to poach the rest are going to a restaurant up the road tomorrow.