Joel.Sim

"New" EK-43

Ah well spotted !

Now what month of manufacture, would give us an idea of what coffee burrs ...

It looked to be 05/15. I wonder is it a refurb or 'seconds' model?

You still have not said who you bought it through

Op isn't Uk based Dfk dont get your knicker in a twist

Is based in Scandanavia

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Why do you say that? Now you are not a mod...I dunno.....I could not care less.....I only asked as others wonder, where it came from. lets be honest, if it is one of a certain few sites he is wasting his time as they are just box sellers. I do not believe mahlkonig would send out a machine in that box from the factory, therefore, where has it come from?

Is based in Scandanavia

Correct and not planning on hanging anyone out before they have a chance to respond.

I do know that some grinders from the WOC event in Gothenburg had been offered out to dealers though

Correct and not planning on hanging anyone out before they have a chance to respond.

I do know that some grinders from the WOC event in Gothenburg had been offered out to dealers though

Your EK has a manufacture date of 05/15 so it's hardly old. I'm guessing it's been used for something like an event. Check with the seller.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I wouldn't be happy with the state of that, my E10 had grinds which you would expect as BB test them all before shipping, but they also pack really well.

Minimum is that the supplier sorts that cracked dial and confirms the packing is crap and will not send machines out like that again.

Twitter @Froggystyle

Your EK has a manufacture date of 05/15 so it's hardly old. I'm guessing it's been used for something like an event. Check with the seller.

I suspect the same and I'm guessing I know where as I was there.

If that's the case they should've said so and I shouldn't have paid in full... So will be interesting to hear their response.

My Clima Pro had been used at the London Coffee Festival but sold as such and the only evidence of use was some coffee dust on the exit chute. If it has been used in event that should have been made clear and a bit of wedge taken off.

I suspect the same and I'm guessing I know where as I was there.

If that's the case they should've said so and I shouldn't have paid in full... So will be interesting to hear their response.

Look forward to hearing what they say. One plus side if it has been used for an event, it will have had several kilos put through it which will be good for seasoning the burrs. EK burrs need upwards of 20kg before they really settle down. That's a lot of beans.

Seller should offer a discount as the grinder should not have been sold as 'new'.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I think mine are just about settled now, had to clean and recalibrate last night and gained about 10 degrees. 1.5 on the 3FE dial and I got a 40 second shot with the Foundry Yirg (was has previously been nudging 0)

Look forward to hearing what they say. One plus side if it has been used for an event, it will have had several kilos put through it which will be good for seasoning the burrs. EK burrs need upwards of 20kg before they really settle down. That's a lot of beans.

Seller should offer a discount as the grinder should not have been sold as 'new'.

Yeah that's a good point.

Luckily I've got 120kg(ish) of greens sitting in the basement waiting for experiment roasting... But it's still gonna bf a while before I'd push 20kg through the EK.

I would reject that , it looks very used to me .

All EK's are factory tested but there shouldn't be any grinds stuck to the bag clip.

@garydyke1

EK burrs need upwards of 20kg before they really settle down.

Not the "new burrs" according to the information from Mahlkoenig.

grinder_type.jpg

Interesting the new coffee can go finer than the K30

Interesting the new coffee can go finer than the K30

Fineness wont equate to slower shot though, as it will be the mix of grind sizes that dictate this ?

Instagram - rjw_inc

So here's the contact between seller and myself so far....

"Hi,

Well I’ve received the first part of my order today. The EK-43….

Unfortunately I must say that it’s not as happy of a moment as it should be.

The packaging seems to have left a bit to be desired and it’s had a rough ride by the looks of it.

It also looks to have had a little more than just some test and calibration grinding done on it. Quite an amount of grounds compacted on the bag clip alone.

There are several places on it with paint missing and there is no marking/sticker on it to say which burrs it has coffee/turkish, etc. Also the dial looks to be cracked, almost as though the screw has been over tightened.

All in all I must say that it looks like a used machine (allbeit it can’t have been used much as it was produced in May)*to me that was poorly packaged and then had a rough ride.

See photos for clarification….more pics to come in a second email.

Regards,

Joel Simpson."

-------------------------------------------

"Hi Joel,

I’m very sorry to see that the postal service has not treated the parcel with care.

You have my guaranty that the grinder is new and has never been used before but all grinders have been grinding coffee in the factory in Hamburg. Due to the tuff way the shipment has been handled coffee remains (witch is quite much in this grinder) will move from the snail / grinding chamber to the outside of the grinder…!

Do you have any suggestions how we can solve this…?

Best Regards

Niels"

--------------------------------------------

"Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I understand that grounds will have come out of the chamber and spread around in rough transport.

The amount of ground coffee compacted on the bag clip confuses me. I wouldn't have thought they ground that much during testing and I also would have thought they would clean that away!?!?

I also don't understand how the paint missing on top of the foot of the grinder can have been damaged during transport. It makes no sense. See attached picture once more...

The other marks certainly can have happened during transport as, in my opinion, it was rather poorly protected. The should be no way that the motor housing can come almost out of the box to the point that the plastic around it is damaged (well and the housing itself fur that matter) Especially for a rather expensive item.

I believe that the dial should be replaced with a new one. I don't know if it's happens in transport or if someone has been heavy handed!?!?

Can you confirm for me the type of burrs in the grinder as it is not marked on it?

Was the grinder packed by you guys or by Mahlkönig??

What is your usual plan of attack with this type of situation??

Sending it back and having a new one sent seems like a lot of trouble. But receiving a brand new grinder for 21000nok that presents as used doesn't feel great.

Regards,

Joel.

This is possibly a reasonable result!?!?

"Hi Joel,

I will be able to send you a new dial and at the same time offer you a compensation of 15% of the value of the grinder…!

The burr set is for coffee.

The grinder has been packed by Mahlkönig.

Best Regards

Niels"

EDIT: My reply before you posted your last update was:

Letting them away too easy IMO. If you paid for a brand new one, you should get a brand new one. I'd insist they took it back and supplied me with what I'd paid for.

If it's this bad visually, there may be hidden problems. Especially if it's been kicked about by a courier.

In response to your last update:

The discount they are offering is essentially £250.

I do not believe that Mahlkonig would allow an EK43 to leave them packaged in that condition.

It's up to you whether or not you are willing to keep it. That's a fairly hefty discount which to me suggests they are desperate to get rid of it, as it would be very tempting to keep it at that price.

I'd still stand by my original comment and insist on a new one.

Edited by risky

250 and a new dial...I'd be tempted. If you want a new one you'd be entitled to ask for it (lets do a burr swap first though)

Yeah I'm on the fence with this one.

Considering suggesting that, if it was actually packed by the factory, perhaps we take it up with them and see what they want to do.

As long as you still have/keep the same right and guarentee, that a new grinder would come with then £250 seems a good chunk

Instagram - rjw_inc

As long as you still have/keep the same right and guarentee, that a new grinder would come with then £250 seems a good chunk

Also a valid point.

If I do accept their offer I think I will be telling them that it'll have to be 15% plus the 25% of that 15% that I just had to pay in tax on it this morning.

What's the tax, vat?

What's the tax, vat?

Yeah MVA... So it's probably a bit cheeky since I claim that back anyway...

A goat could be alright though, I am getting sick of mowing. Although between two kids and a Labrador there's no room left on the couch so I don't know what we'd do with it in winter!?!? I do like making goat sausages though....

Bugger it. I'll take their offer.

I'm outta here on holidays for two weeks after today, so I won't be here to get it picked up and swapped, etc...