Hi everyone,

At the minute I have a built-in Siemens bean to cup machine which John Lewis have agreed to exchange for me as it in unable to heat milk to an acceptable level. I've never been particularly happy with the coffee it produces either. Anyway, I quite like the look of the Sage machines they stock. At first I thought I'd exchange it for the Barista Express and have the difference refunded but after reading more into it, a lot of people are saying the grinder isn't really up to the job so now I'm leaning more to the Dual Boiler and a separate grinder. Would this be a better option than the Oracle as I presume it's grinder may not be as good as a separate one? On the other hand would these machines be overkill for someone who only make a couple of drinks per day (normally latte)? I pretty new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I only make two drinks per day for myself, my kit is over £3k, read into that what you will...

If you can afford it, yes get the dual boiler and a decent grinder to pair it with, the grinder is the tricky part though.

How much do you have after buying the dual boiler for the grinder, does it have to be new, does it have to fit in to a certain style of kitchen?

Twitter @Froggystyle

The oracle is a great automated machine ( dosing , taming and milk are great ) . It's week point " in the cup " is the grinder

So its about compromise - do you want to put some time and effort in making coffee with a seperate grinder and machine , with potential greater tasty rewards

Or have a simple coffee making experience possibly at the expense of some nuances taste wise..

Is it you that will use this machine or other people ?

Does learning to be a home barista appeal to you ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I only make two drinks per day for myself, my kit is over £3k, read into that what you will...

If you can afford it, yes get the dual boiler and a decent grinder to pair it with, the grinder is the tricky part though.

How much do you have after buying the dual boiler for the grinder, does it have to be new, does it have to fit in to a certain style of kitchen?

I'll have almost 100 pounds left over if I exchange for the Dual Boiler plus just now it comes with a free Smart Grinder Pro which I'd probably stick on Ebay. I'd be willing to put more to it without going overboard. How much should I be looking to spend on a suitable grinder for this machine? The machine and grinder are probably going to be kept in a kitchen larder unit so the look doesn't matter too much. I would prefer the grinder to be reasonably compact right enough.

So with the cash and money from your ebay sale you should have about £250, i would look to get another £100 on top of this.

This puts in the new mignon area, or second hand mazzer, both will do a decent enough job, but i think the mignon may be more suited to you, its easy enough to just load up and grind straight into the portafilter, the mazzer will require some mods and may be too much faff.

Its all down to how much time you want to put into making a drink?

Twitter @Froggystyle

Two thumbs up for SDB. Of course I would say that as I own one and we all go for a little bit of self validation don't we? There are a number of very well respected members here, people who really know their coffee and technique who have the SDB as their home machine. Definitely pair it with a grinder better than the Smart Grinder though. Breville/Sage haven't really hit their stride with grinders yet. Mignon is very popular here and very compact so if size or appearance is an issue in your home it is probably best pick in that ballpark from new.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

There are a number of very well respected members here, people who really know their coffee and technique who have the SDB as their home machine.

Bet you anything you like, there are a lot more well respected members who do not have a Sage DB anywhere near their house!

You say that your current machine doesnt heat milk to an acceptable level. Are you looking to boil the milk ?

a grinder a lever and some beans

There are a number of very well respected members here, people who really know their coffee and technique who have the SDB as their home machine.

Bet you anything you like, there are a lot more well respected members who do not have a Sage DB anywhere near their house!

Sageist........

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

The oracle is a great automated machine ( dosing , taming and milk are great ) . It's week point " in the cup " is the grinder

So its about compromise - do you want to put some time and effort in making coffee with a seperate grinder and machine , with potential greater tasty rewards

Or have a simple coffee making experience possibly at the expense of some nuances taste wise..

Is it you that will use this machine or other people ?

Does learning to be a home barista appeal to you ?

Yes, I read your excellent review and the Oracle does look like a great machine.

I can see the benefit to both options so not 100% sure at the minute. Is the grinder on the Oracle the same as on the Barista Express?

It will probably be just me using the machine as my other half likes her drinks prepared for her :)

It is beginning to appeal to me, especially if I'll achieve better results after some practice.

There are a number of very well respected members here, people who really know their coffee and who have the SDB as their home machine.

Sure there are other choices, no doubt about that. The SDB is not a bad choice. Good enough for Gary, good enough for me.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

So with the cash and money from your ebay sale you should have about £250, i would look to get another £100 on top of this.

This puts in the new mignon area, or second hand mazzer, both will do a decent enough job, but i think the mignon may be more suited to you, its easy enough to just load up and grind straight into the portafilter, the mazzer will require some mods and may be too much faff.

Its all down to how much time you want to put into making a drink?

Ok, I did have a figure of around £350 to £400 pounds for a decent grinder although I could maybe stretch to a little more.

I have had a quick look at the mignon after seeing it mentioned on here and like the look of it. With regards to the mazzer, is that that the mini you're talking about? If so, what modifications would need done to it and is it worth the extra money and hassle. Oh, and do you think the mignon would produce much better results than the grinders on the Oracle and Express?

Sure there are other choices, no doubt about that. The SDB is not a bad choice. Good enough for Gary, good enough for me.

It is a bit of an assumption that you both qualify as well respected members of the forum.......of course, others may disagree with me.......I am sure many will object to you labelling Gary like that as well, but hey ho!

Two thumbs up for SDB. Of course I would say that as I own one and we all go for a little bit of self validation don't we? There are a number of very well respected members here, people who really know their coffee and technique who have the SDB as their home machine. Definitely pair it with a grinder better than the Smart Grinder though. Breville/Sage haven't really hit their stride with grinders yet. Mignon is very popular here and very compact so if size or appearance is an issue in your home it is probably best pick in that ballpark from new.

Haha, we do indeed! Ok, that's good to know. To be honest, if the Sage grinders were any good I would have been very tempted just to go for the Barista Express as I'll probably only be making a couple of drinks per day. Yes, I've noticed the Mignon's popularity on here and like the look of it.

Too many buttons for Dfk i am sure.

cheeky...I had one for two days before I sent it back as not fit for purpose. What purpose......making coffee with Jampit. it absolutely butchered it!

Me, i would look at something like the Compak K3 Touch over the mignon.

The Mazzers have never really done it for me, sure they are great grinders for the price, i just don't like the look of them.

Twitter @Froggystyle

cheeky...I had one for two days before I sent it back as not fit for purpose. What purpose......making coffee with Jampit. it absolutely butchered it!

How far are you from Coffeechap? He offers training.

Twitter @Froggystyle

Haha, I'm not really a betting man :) I need to get the machine from John Lewis and the Sage ones seem to be the best on offer.

jomo, in fariness, for the position you are in, you will not do better than a Sage DB. it is quite capable. learn your craft. Pair it with as good a grinder as you can muster, and away you go

You say that your current machine doesnt heat milk to an acceptable level. Are you looking to boil the milk ?

Haha no, the machine I have can only heat the milk by around 40 degrees Celsius.

argumentum ad infinitum. LOL

It did?

Or you did?

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.