Coffee Forums banner

Coffee Compass bean recommendation?

42K views 237 replies 90 participants last post by  Monochrome 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm about to get my hands on a Mignon to go with my Gaggia Classic.

I'll need some beans obviously and am going to order some Brighton Lanes from Coffee Compass because (1) there seems to be a general consensus round here that they're excellent and newbie-forgiving, and (2) because I lived in the centre of Brighton for many years and I've come over all nostalgic.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a second coffee I should order at the same time? Something that exhibits some other, different flavours?

(I've been making do for a week or so with grinding supermarket beans via my old bean-to-cup's grinder and feeding that into the Classic. The espresso has mostly been sour (I think, rather than bitter) but has been to my palate

drinkable as a white americano. (Kinda the same as I've been living on from my bean-to-cup for years, actually.)

So I think if there's a coffee that (as espresso) is regarded as being at the smooth and sweet end of the spectrum, that might be good to try. Especially because I'm presently haunted by having read a thread where on page 8 of a newbie's trials to get some decent tasting shots out of their machine, one of the old hands here asked "Do you actually like espresso?" What if I don't?!)

Oh - I gather there's a forum discount code for Coffee Compass. Who do I have to sweet talk to get a hold of that? :)

Cheers,

Mike

See less See more
#4 ·
Discount code sent via PM.

Depends on which tasting notes you enjoy or fancy trying? Have a look on their website, they have a really wide selection that should have something for everyone.

Gusto Gold was one of my fave's but it might be along similar lines to Brighton Lanes Blend and you said you'd like to try something different, so maybe save trying that for a future order?

There's a couple of long running threads all about Coffee Compass which include various recommendations. Worth a read.

If you're totally unsure, give Richard a call or drop him an email. He is super helpful and very efficient.

#5 ·
Hi Mike. A common mistake for someone fairly new to coffee is to order different beans straight away. Buy several bags of the same bean and learn the whole process. I bought into a subscription whereby I received one bag of different beans a month. By the time I had dialled them in, the bag was almost empty.

#6 ·
Thanks, DoubleShot.

Seems a useful tip, Doolally. Reckon I'll up the order to 3 bags (CC do a multi-buy as well) - won't be able to resist ordering _one_ different though. (Will probably go with Sweet Bourbon then - thats the name that stuck in my head from having read those other threads earlier in the week.)

(The problem with buying good fresh beans by mail-order is that it's going to make it very obvious how much my coffee-habit costs. I used to be able to hide the cost away in the weekly shopping
:(
)

#7 ·
doolallysquiff said:
Hi Mike. A common mistake for someone fairly new to coffee is to order different beans straight away. Buy several bags of the same bean and learn the whole process. I bought into a subscription whereby I received one bag of different beans a month. By the time I had dialled them in, the bag was almost empty.
How very true, how many times has this happened to me you would think I would learn!!

#12 ·
If you're cutting & pasting the discount code into the webpage then make sure you're not picking up a trailing space. Lost count of the number of times this has happened to me
:)

#14 ·
Haha the code worked for me last week. Brighton Lanes was my first bag from CC and was great for a newbie like me. Really fool proof. I'm currently on Mediterranean Mocha and then have a bag of Mystery Beans number 3 to try but I think I will go back to Brighton Lanes after that and try to improve my technique.

#19 ·
+1 for the Brazilian Rodomunho - I've just finished a bag and it was everything it was supposed to be - delicious, particularly as an espresso or Americano, though I found it got a bit lost in milk based drinks. I also think it's always worth adding a bag of the mystery beans to an order - they're excellent too, and a real bargain at little more than a fiver for half a kilo with the forum discount!

#20 ·
Could someone chuck me a code too please?

Richard is excellent to deal with directly too - great comms and his suggestions have bean (!) spot on.

Ordered a kilo with them a couple of weeks ago and would like more soon :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.