Canyon fodder

Foundry Coffee Roasters

Hi,

Thank you for the delivery of my first proper bag of beans. I went for the Rocko Mountain Reserve. Glad to see others on here like it. Should I be still be aiming for 1:2 in 42secs as per the brewing recommendation on your website?

Cheers

Flat white please :time-out:

Sage DTP | Sage SGP | Motta tamper | a cut up mini whisk | dosing funnel

Also got a the Rocko Mountain reserve yesterday assuming I should let it rest for at least a week before attempting espresso, what's the general espresso ratio and v60 ratios everyone is using?

Hi,

Thank you for the delivery of my first proper bag of beans. I went for the Rocko Mountain Reserve. Glad to see others on here like it. Should I be still be aiming for 1:2 in 42secs as per the brewing recommendation on your website?

Cheers

Don't stress over the time , as there machine is running a 6 second pre infusion.

Aim for that ratio perhaps at 30 seconds.

It's gonna be a different kettle of coffee to medium roast, toffee, coffee, nuts . But I really like those naturals as a base for milk drinks.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Also got a the Rocko Mountain reserve yesterday assuming I should let it rest for at least a week before attempting espresso, what's the general espresso ratio and v60 ratios everyone is using?

I had rocking from other roasters .

V60 i used the @MWJB v60 process for one cup

13.5 add 225 g of water in short pours .

Aim to ballpark drain of bed from water 3-3.20 ish

Espresso minimum 1:2 , ball park 30 seconds , linger ish shot.

Don't be afraid to experiment with heavier shots 1:2.5

Instagram - rjw_inc

ok so with the Gaggia and @MWJB method which he has been very helpful with something like 6 x 40g pours 30 seconds apart? or smaller intervals / no of pours

and for espresso in usually dose 17g in my Gaggia double basket so for 1:2 to begin with aim for 17g > 34g in around 30 secs?

looking forward to the change from chocolate and nuts!

I do this one.

https://wp.me/p61SIk-ga

Re espresso yeah sounds good .don't worry about sticking to strictly to time I'd be ok with 30-40 seconds ish.

used that recipe this morning and there was some nice flavours coming through but a tiny bit of sourness maybe due to the fact the water wasn’t straight off the boil but the bed extracted at 3:30

im only 5 days post roast too so that may also be the isssue

used that recipe this morning and there was some nice flavours coming through but a tiny bit of sourness maybe due to the fact the water wasn’t straight off the boil but the bed extracted at 3:30

im only 5 days post roast too so that may also be the isssue

5 days is fine.

Yeah try with hotter water or grind just a touch finer.

Instagram - rjw_inc

Why is it on my last 18G of Rocko I nail the brew, strawberry galore not every time is the money shot,haha

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

5 days is fine.

Yeah try with hotter water or grind just a touch finer.

hotter water got rid of the sourness 2nd time round and it tasted slightly over extracted so i think if i coarsen the grind up slightly it should be just right hopefully

Morning all, so thanks for bearing with us on this one. The two new beans we have will be launched on Tuesday. It's taken a bit longer to get the labels sorted this time but they're on their way now. Full details will be out on Tuesday but we have a new decaf and a really delicious new comfort offering from Rwanda. We've also just secured another amazing coffee for the second year running, but that one has only just landed so will be a good few weeks away yet. .....and finally, you can now buy our beans green! Phew, busy week.

So the Rocko Mountain I’m still getting slight bit of sourness @ 94oC on the gaiggia at 17g > 34g in around 33 seconds so extract longer or hotter or both?

So the Rocko Mountain IÂ’m still getting slight bit of sourness @ 94oC on the gaiggia at 17g > 34g in around 33 seconds so extract longer or hotter or both?

So the Rocko Mountain IÂ’m still getting slight bit of sourness @ 94oC on the gaiggia at 17g > 34g in around 33 seconds so extract longer or hotter or both?

I'm going 18 - 45 with my classic at 94 and getting really nice results :)

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Just finished my first bag of coffee from foundry. Rio Magdalena - Colombia. 18 in 40 out in about 45ish seconds with a 10ish second pre-infusion. They were delicious!

It did however take me half a bag to get to that recipe. So I guess it's a good thing I ordered 2 bags :)

I am gonna crack open the rocko mountain tomorrow morning though

LR, ZM

I'm going 18 - 45 with my classic at 94 and getting really nice results :)

thanks for the info so longer extraction and ratio and what sort of time was that extraction in?

thanks for the info so longer extraction and ratio and what sort of time was that extraction in?

Running at 35 seconds (give or take a second either way), I'm not hugely experienced but FWIW I'd suggest starting by keeping the grind as is and just go with the longer ratio, if that's good sorted if not maybe tighten up the grind a little at that stage.

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

Just finished my first bag of coffee from foundry. Rio Magdalena - Colombia. 18 in 40 out in about 45ish seconds with a 10ish second pre-infusion. They were delicious!

It did however take me half a bag to get to that recipe. So I guess it's a good thing I ordered 2 bags :)

I am gonna crack open the rocko mountain tomorrow morning though

I have a similar story: first half of a Rio Magdalena bag went unnoticed, probably because it was sandwiched between two other great coffees from Foundry, Karumandi AA and Rocko Mountain. Pulled the second half from the freezer recently, and discovered that it is delicious with long lasting choc/caramel aftertaste even in FW.

With a dimmer I tied to do a kind of a lever profile on my Gaggia: first 10 sec keep the dimmer at the minimum setting, this gives a low-pressure pre-infusion. Then rump the pressure to around 8 bar and keep the dimmer at this setting. As the flow increases with time, the pressure drops to about 2-3 bars at the end of the shot. I use 18.5g -> 39g in 45 sec, incl 10 sec pre-infusion.

• Like 1

Gaggia '06 Baby Class (Dimmer / pressure gauge, MrShades PID, IMS shower / brass holder), 18g VST + LevTamp

Almost out of the Rocko Mountain which I've really enjoyed however i'm tempted to get the Rio Magladena again but really struggled with it last time, surely there must be some proven success stories with it now?

Almost out of the Rocko Mountain which I've really enjoyed however i'm tempted to get the Rio Magladena again but really struggled with it last time, surely there must be some proven success stories with it now?

Surprisingly I managed to get Rio Magladena dialled in far easier than Rocko mountain. It's delicious once dialled in and will definitely be a repeat order for me

• Like 1

LR, ZM

Surprisingly I managed to get Rio Magladena dialled in far easier than Rocko mountain. It's delicious once dialled in and will definitely be a repeat order for me

i found the rocko quite easy but the Rio Magdalena a nightmare!

anyone had decent results with a gaggia and v60?

Edited by Breezy

Just got some news. New crop Rocko Mountain is due to land in a couple of weeks! Fingers crossed it’ll be as good as ever. Assuming it’s up to scratch, this will be the 6th crop we’ve taken in a row. Luckily we have enough of the current crop to last another 2-3 weeks too.

Anyone else feeling the newsletter/email communication has become a bit too pushy lately? I've started receiving a lot more emails the past few months than I did before. I know I could unsubscribe but I do enjoy the occasional news about new beans, etc. 

• Like 1

Worth feeding the info back to the Foundry team as I'm sure you're not alone in your thoughts.

• Like 2

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Have had a bit of a look. But is quite difficult on tapatalk.

Does the foundry discount code no long er exist. I had one previously but it no longer works.