Canyon fodder

Foundry Coffee Roasters

..... Yesterday we secured the most incredible Central American I’ve ever tasted. It’s another natural but this time from Costa Rica and it’s even better than the Finca San Francisco from last year..... .

I'm at beanMax at the moment but already eyeing up my next order and the Las Lajas looks like it might be the ticket.

Is that the costa rican you mentioned a couple of times over the summer and will the Finca SF be making a return this year?

Yes, this is the new Costa Rican Natural. We've tried a washed version of the San Franscisco this year but passed on it and I'm waiting to hear whether there is a natural in the pipeline or not. I suspect we would have heard by now though so I'd guess not - which would be a real shame. On a brighter note though, we do have another natural ehiopian, natural Honduran, two washed ethiopians and a washed Guaetalan all coming up over the next few weeks. :)

I'm at beanMax at the moment but already eyeing up my next order and the Las Lajas looks like it might be the ticket.

Is that the costa rican you mentioned a couple of times over the summer and will the Finca SF be making a return this year?

Las Lajas is a beautiful bean, just finished a bag of them

Enjoying espresso & filter - Currently enjoying Craft House Rwandan Gitwe and Assembly ??? LSOL

Yes, this is the new Costa Rican Natural. We've tried a washed version of the San Franscisco this year but passed on it and I'm waiting to hear whether there is a natural in the pipeline or not. I suspect we would have heard by now though so I'd guess not - which would be a real shame. On a brighter note though, we do have another natural ehiopian, natural Honduran, two washed ethiopians and a washed Guaetalan all coming up over the next few weeks. :)

This should satisfy.......?:secret:

https://www.cafeimports.com/europe/beanology/view/la-perla-del-cafyo-micromill-finca-chispita-sl-28-golden-honey-12112

I’ve just seen that Guji Highland is showing as sold out on the website! Is this temporary or is that now it for this bean? It’s my favourite bean of the year so far so gutted if it is all gone!

Profitec Pro 600 / Eureka Mignon Specialita / Sage Smart Grinder Pro / Hario V60 Drip Decanter

I’ve just seen that Guji Highland is showing as sold out on the website! Is this temporary or is that now it for this bean? It’s my favourite bean of the year so far so gutted if it is all gone!

Yeah, that's it for that particular coffee I'm afraid. Although we have another natural and washed from Guji in the pipeline.

Went to the foundry cafe today and tried their new Ethiopian coffee in a flat white. I ate my lunch while drinking it and flavour notes were flying out of that cup, to me it tasted very floral and I was picking up apricot or some kind of fruitiness on the back end.

Very nice.

V60 / Aeropress / Wilfa Svart Grinder / Aergrind V2 / Fresh coffee beans

Guys, can anybody help me please with a target for brewing Rocko Mountain as espresso?

Having more trouble than expected - muddled and muted shots, or a bit acidic, punctuated with some superb coffee that I want to create more often but am struggling with!

Brewing with a Quickmill Veloce lever and Ceado E37s.

I have developed very detailed prep:

Weigh exactly 15.5g into a 15g VST

Whisk vigorously

Use a homemade credit card levelling tool and gentle taps to ensure perfectly event and level base for a gentle tamp - just until the coffee pushes back

Aiming for 5s PI

Guide lever back and let it do it’s thing.

I have tried from 40s (total of PI and extraction) down to 30s

I have tried finer grind and much more gentle tamp (turned into a semi-gusher!!)

I am brewing 15.5 in to 34.5 our target

Not sure how much this will help, but I've been dialling this is for the last couple of days and was very happy with a much more 'fruity' result today:

Niche grinder at about 19,

17.8g in, 38g out in 40 seconds - see profile in my signature.

I'd been approaching from the coarser side, so I'm tempted to try slightly finer to see where I get to, but today's after just a slight tweak finer was much fruitier than yesterday, so maybe it's quite sensitive somehow?

My tamp was quite firm - though of course that's completely subjective without a Puqpress!

I didn't do much to the ground coffee before tamping, just a gentle tap to get reasonably level.

Good luck!

Guys, can anybody help me please with a target for brewing Rocko Mountain as espresso?

Having more trouble than expected - muddled and muted shots, or a bit acidic, punctuated with some superb coffee that I want to create more often but am struggling with!

Brewing with a Quickmill Veloce lever and Ceado E37s.

I have developed very detailed prep:

Weigh exactly 15.5g into a 15g VST

Whisk vigorously

Use a homemade credit card levelling tool and gentle taps to ensure perfectly event and level base for a gentle tamp - just until the coffee pushes back

Aiming for 5s PI

Guide lever back and let it do it’s thing.

I have tried from 40s (total of PI and extraction) down to 30s

I have tried finer grind and much more gentle tamp (turned into a semi-gusher!!)

I am brewing 15.5 in to 34.5 our target

Vesuvius | Niche grinder | Mazzer Super Jolly | This week I shall mostly be drinking ... Foundry - Rio Magdalena, Colombia

P1: 2 [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected] ('lever profile')

Today’s experiments were going towards fine and properly light tamps. My usual tamp is “just enough” so I was barely weighting the tamper really.

That didn’t work - was temperamental - the light tamp force is unfamiliar so small discrepancies moved it from too fast extraction to too slow between shots.

Interestingly the faster shots were a nudge bright, but tasted better. Although had

Lighter body and no tiger striping.

The longer shots had great body, loads of striping, just not great flavour - muddled and socky.

I am thinking this bean is not liking a longer, slow extraction, so very fine and light tamp might not be the answer, as I am susceptible to overtamping.

Maybe coarsen up tomorrow and accept for shorter extraction time.

So more success this morning.

Reverted to my standard tamp, and loosened the grind a couple of notches.

Much more consistent over 4 shots. Balanced acidity and flavours and within the realms of the tasting notes.

15.5>34.5 over around 40s was nicer today. Could still loosen grind a nudge as this needed a 6-7s PI and I usually aim for 5s.

This was yesterday’s best effort:

49cebe6633d3622014165c8fa0ef213c.jpg

Lighter crema today and less striping, but tasted better.

Frustrating me slightly that I know the beans have a little more to give but I don’t have the skills :)

I am wondering if there is something about these beans that benefits from the longer PI. Maybe could try raising the temp a little also and see what I can extract that way.

Update time folks! We have just launched three new coffees in the webshop, 2 from Ethiopia and 1 from Guatemala. You can check out details for them all over on the website here

There's somethinig for everyone. The natural is from the family owned Kayon Mountain Farm in the Guji region. For those of you that are already missing our Guji Highland Farm, then you are going to be more than happy with this coffee, it's incredible. Huge florals and very clean for a natural. We also have a new washed Ethiopian coffee, Nano Challa which is a fantastic example of washed Ethiopian coffee - stunnig complexity and yet really well balanced so makes for exciting, accessible espresso. Completing this release is another coffee from Guatmela. Guatemala is propbably the one country that has been surprising us the most with the rane of coffee produced there. We're finding that there is no 'typical guatemalan' and thats a good thing. This one is called Joya Oscura and it's another family farm. We've placed this one in the 'Comfort' section as it has a delicious nuttiness to it that feels indulgent and velvety. Still, it's not simple coffee and there is plenty more revealed when brewing for filter, a sparkling acidity being one of it's most delightful qualities.

As you can probably tell, I'm really excited about this release! - and really cant wait to start hearing from you about how you all are finding the coffee too!

Looking forward to trying those new Ethiopia beans - and even more looking forward to the brewing class this afternoon :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

24656db5785b339df749cc4109d6af9a.jpg

Really informative course. Thanks, Lee! Still felt we should have stayed to wash up though :)

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband / 

24656db5785b339df749cc4109d6af9a.jpg

Really informative course. Thanks, Lee! Still felt we should have stayed to wash up though :)

Sounds like you had a fun time. Looking at the photo, I'm guessing an aeropress may be on order soon?

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Sounds like you had a fun time. Looking at the photo, I'm guessing an aeropress may be on order soon?

Yes! For out and about maybe. We could also cart the HG-1 with us too

I must say I do get plenty of enjoyment out of my AP and Aergrind combo. For one, it's super easy/forgiving and super portable. 2, it's the only way I have to do brewed coffee, as I don't have all the special kettles etc. 3, with the PUCK PUCK I can use it as a drip tower for cold brew. 4, no more crap coffee at work.

I probably should do a brew course but Sheffield is a bit too far alas. Maybe I'll have to see if Cupper Joe fancied an AP coffee morning?

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Just received a bag of Foundry Rocko Mountain, ordered after it seemed to come so recommended on here. Only a few days roasted so probably not really ready yet but I have to say it's absolutely gorgeous.

Foundry's Rocko is pretty high on my list of best coffees ever (or at least, personal favourite). Avenue and Jolly Bean roasted theirs very well too. I just love the Ethiopian natural. If I wasn't on LSOL I'd just have a foundry sub and try to get as much Ethiopian natural as I could while in season. Mind you we had 2 in a row on LSOL so it's all good!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Foundry's Rocko is pretty high on my list of best coffees ever (or at least, personal favourite). Avenue and Jolly Bean roasted theirs very well too. I just love the Ethiopian natural. If I wasn't on LSOL I'd just have a foundry sub and try to get as much Ethiopian natural as I could while in season. Mind you we had 2 in a row on LSOL so it's all good!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

You just have to try the Kayon Mountain......so good.

Just ordered a bag of Kayon and a bag of Rocko. Its been a few months... I keep talking about it, now it's done!

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Just received this morning a bag of Las Lajas, Rocko, Rio Magdalena & Rianjangi..it will be the first time with Las Lajas looking forward to the favours....

Fracino Cherub, Mahlkoning Vario, Pullman Big Step tamper and Pullman precision basket and some Beans.

Also got the Las Lajas to try next but with LSOL and the Rocko on the go and disappearing for a week it'll have to suffer a little freezer time.

These guys are fast! Ordered Sunday, they roasted and posted it Sunday, got it this morning (Tue)! Now how long should I rest it?

Only half joking - got 2 days worth in the hopper. Might have to start off with the Aeropress by Thurs. Probably the best way to drink it anyway...

___

Eat, drink and be merry

My Guat beans turned up today, I went for the Joya Oscura as the write up for them made my mouth water. I do like a Guatemalan bean, this region seems to always hit my sweet spot so looking forwards to cracking into these tomorrow morning.

Enjoying espresso & filter - Currently enjoying Craft House Rwandan Gitwe and Assembly ??? LSOL