Canyon fodder

Foundry Coffee Roasters

[h=1]Las Terrazas vs Rianjangi Peaberry[/h]

Anyone? Before I sell my coffee machine etc because I don't use it because I cannot get Under Milkwood to taste nice, I am thinking of ordering some new beans. (note to self, don't buy 1kg bags ever again - taste flat compared to how the 250g of UMW tasted).

I bought some beans from foundry before but can't remember what they were called. During the Roastery of the Month on here. I think they tasted like terrys chocolate orange and were fantastic.

Foundry do you have a coffee shop in your brewing place? You are only 80 miles away (Chester to Sheffield). Thanks.

Anyone? Before I sell my coffee machine etc because I don't use it because I cannot get Under Milkwood to taste nice, I am thinking of ordering some new beans. (note to self, don't buy 1kg bags ever again - taste flat compared to how the 250g of UMW tasted).

I bought some beans from foundry before but can't remember what they were called. During the Roastery of the Month on here. I think they tasted like terrys chocolate orange and were fantastic.

Foundry do you have a coffee shop in your brewing place? You are only 80 miles away (Chester to Sheffield). Thanks.

FOundry have an awesome cafe there. Get over and check it out.

Nuova Simonelli Personal 1 ¦ Mazzer SJ

I am a regular at their cafe in Sheffield and can vouch that they serve great coffee, have great sandwiches, tasty sweet treats, and all the staff are lovely.

A very relaxed modern cafe as opposed to the usual third wave hipster vibes you usually get.

V60 / Aeropress / Wilfa Svart Grinder / Aergrind V2 / Fresh coffee beans

Just drinking Rianjangi Peaberry OMG it is delicious. I thought it would be sour as I had the grind very fine and it took 1:50 to extract enough to get a latte as apposed to the normal 30 seconds. But nope it is delicious first time. And I left it on the side going cold whilst steaming the milk...

Which is dangerous because I now think "time to upgrade Gaggia to a dual boiler?" *checks BB* ECM Synkronicity £2200 eeeeeeeek

^You can get a near new Vesuvius for less.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

:)

^You can get a near new Vesuvius for less.

Probably. I can't really afford either at the moment. I want to buy a Dell 38" Curved monitor (I am an author, I use monitor all day.. so I guess it takes priority).

Probably. I can't really afford either at the moment. I want to buy a Dell 38" Curved monitor (I am an author, I use monitor all day.. so I guess it takes priority).

Yep I think that does. I had to not buy a 2018 road bike this year,haha. Does that count.

SAGE IS NOT A UPGRADE

Yep I think that does. I had to not buy a 2018 road bike this year,haha. Does that count.

Im pretty certain whatever the question, when it comes to road bikes (or MTB) the answer is ''buy a new bike''

Im pretty certain whatever the question, when it comes to road bikes (or MTB) the answer is ''buy a new bike''

Mathematicians crunched the numbers years ago & came up with the formula n+1 where n=the number of bikes you currently own.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Mathematicians crunched the numbers years ago & came up with the formula n+1 where n=the number of bikes you currently own.

So true. I’m currently at 3 road bikes. 2 mtb. 1 bmx. Oh, and don’t forget a spin bike.

I use two of them. However the others are still perfectly justified. (In my mind).

Ethiopian Guji Highland Farm this morning as a flat white, tasted of chocolate lime sweets. Nom nom nom.

Gaggia Classic / Aeropress / V60 / Niche Zero / Wilfa Svart / Feldgrind

So I am on the last of the Rianjangi and I just can't get it sweet enough for my taste buds. I know it is likely that this is my fault. I changed to asda smart price still water I don't know if this is the issue. I also changed brands of milk.. I presume all whole milk is just whole milk?

So I ordered

[h=1]Las Terrazas and[/h][h=1]Rio Magdalena[/h]

Instead and will see how they go.

I am trying again to find some scales that aren't £200 and work and are water/stain proof.

I've had a few foundry roasts now and I've really struggled to get something good out of them...

In the past, I felt it was my old grinder (Vario) that was making things tricky but I've been unable to get a decent shot from the latest ones with my HG One/Silvia (Rianjangi Peaberry and Rio Magdalena from 19/7/18). I'm trying to decide whether there is something I can improve, the silvia isn't up to the task or Foundry roasts simply aren't to my taste!

For both of the roasts above, I can easily dial in a grind that doses 36g in 30s from 18g. I'm performing RDT and WDT (LW Bind Shaker) and using a naked portafilter the pour's are acceptable. The foretaste generally seems promising (sweet/sour fairly balanced) and some of the packet tasting notes start to come through. However, then I get a solid wedge of gackiness on the mid/after-taste.

I've got another couple of bags of beans to try and I'll give them all a go on my home setup (Mythos/Londinium) at the weekend but I was wondering if any of you have some feedback or tips on where I may be going wrong? Is this the point where finer temperature control and/or pressure profiling start to help?

Tbf, Foundry are based in shef so I should prob just drop in and see how they taste in house...

Thanks,

J

Londinium R v3 / Silvia / Mythos One CP / HG One / Feldgrind Mk2 / Baratza Vario / Dripster / IMS 18g VST / Londinium Tamper / Decent Espresso Baskets + Tamper / Acaia Scales / Forge / Foundry Roasts

I've had a few foundry roasts now and I've really struggled to get something good out of them...

In the past, I felt it was my old grinder (Vario) that was making things tricky but I've been unable to get a decent shot from the latest ones with my HG One/Silvia (Rianjangi Peaberry and Rio Magdalena from 19/7/18). I'm trying to decide whether there is something I can improve, the silvia isn't up to the task or Foundry roasts simply aren't to my taste!

For both of the roasts above, I can easily dial in a grind that doses 36g in 30s from 18g. I'm performing RDT and WDT (LW Bind Shaker) and using a naked portafilter the pour's are acceptable. The foretaste generally seems promising (sweet/sour fairly balanced) and some of the packet tasting notes start to come through. However, then I get a solid wedge of gackiness on the mid/after-taste.

I've got another couple of bags of beans to try and I'll give them all a go on my home setup (Mythos/Londinium) at the weekend but I was wondering if any of you have some feedback or tips on where I may be going wrong? Is this the point where finer temperature control and/or pressure profiling start to help?

Tbf, Foundry are based in shef so I should prob just drop in and see how they taste in house...

Thanks,

J

Why would 18>36 in 30 seconds mean tasty ? If not tasty adjust til tasty.

1:2 in 30 seconds is not some magical nirvana .

Have you changed the ratio from the one above , it not , why not ?

And yes temp surfing with a silvia isnt the best way to tasty ( does it have a pid ? )

Ignore pressure profiling , its icing in the cake not essential to getting to drinkable .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks,

J

I’d be happy to spend some time with you if you do decide to drop round. Give me some notice and we can arrange half an hour or so to run through a few things together and see if we can’t help you out.

Why would 18>36 in 30 seconds mean tasty ? If not tasty adjust til tasty.

This is always a bit of a dilemma. We get so many requests for recipes and so we tend to just list whatever we are doing in the coffee shop. The actual answer we should give to recipe requests is ‘it depends on water/grinder/machine/filter/baskets/dose/distribution/tamping/machine temp settings/mains water flow rates/age of beans/how long beans have been exposed to air/weight/channelling/pre-infusion times/colour of the cups/taste preferences and expectations/water temp/ambient conditions’ but no-one really wants to hear that

In reality you just have to learn to steer the ship for yourself working within whatever limitations are in place. In reality, a recipe is barely even a starting point. This is why there is so much more value in helping people to get their heads

around it all for themselves. Of course it’s a bit hard at first - both technical knowledge wise and taste bud calibration wise but once you’re over the jump, everything becomes so much simpler.

Top tip: Start at 1:1:5 (because it’s a reasonable place to start with a vario) or 1:2 (because that’s a reasonable place to start with the Mythos). Pull a shot and as long as it’s taking somewhere between about 25 and 40 seconds from pushing the button to target yield, then leave the grinder alone. Next, just keep extracting more (by running more water through the coffee), keep doing this until it tastes bad and then go back one step - that’s probably as good as it’s going to get for you. Or at least it’s not worth burning through tonnes more coffee chasing what will probably be a negligible gain.

Occasionally you’ll get to a bad place with the shot and then it gets good again but not usually.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

I just had a quick play with the Rio Magdalena and a notch finer on the HG One (around 30s for 25g).

This did improve the aftertaste but at the expense of a very salty foretaste.

I tried tamping a bit lighter and this improved the saltiness a little.

I'll def try and drop in to the shop sometime - it's a shame you aren't open on sundays! ;)

Thanks,

J

Londinium R v3 / Silvia / Mythos One CP / HG One / Feldgrind Mk2 / Baratza Vario / Dripster / IMS 18g VST / Londinium Tamper / Decent Espresso Baskets + Tamper / Acaia Scales / Forge / Foundry Roasts

ok, so continuing on the theme of struggling with the issuing of recipes, we've been playing around in the coffee shop for the past few days and we're almost done developing this. May be of some interest to those of you who own both a V60 and an Aeropress.

https://foundrycoffeeroasters.com/blogs/news/using-the-hario-v60-to-brew-better-aeropress-coffee

Edited by foundrycoffeeroasters.com

Any ideas why your 24 express mail takes 3-4 days to arrive? I ordered Monday/Tuesday and it didnt arrive until today. Said it was roasted on the 24th?

Had to go elsewhere as I didn't think it would take 7 days for an order to arrive especially as you are only on the other side of the peak district (I know post doesn't work like that though).

Any ideas why your 24 express mail takes 3-4 days to arrive? I ordered Monday/Tuesday and it didnt arrive until today. Said it was roasted on the 24th?

Had to go elsewhere as I didn't think it would take 7 days for an order to arrive especially as you are only on the other side of the peak district (I know post doesn't work like that though).

That’s unusual. Despite the bad rep that Royal Mail has, we usually find they take 2 days at most. Sorry about that.

Mine is always really speedily delivered - usually the day after roasting day! Flipping RM can be unreliable at times though, annoyingly.

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles  /  1998 La Pavoni with NickNak single hole steam wand tip  /  Monolith Titan Conical & MAX  / HG-1  /  Kalita wave  /  Stag kettle  /  OCD  /  Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer  /  gold B Plus stirrer  /  Push Tamper  /  Puqpress  /  15g & 18g vst  /  IMS 35μM  /  LDT  /  Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers  /  LW Bean Cellars & Caddy  /  Decent thermometer  /  Acme Evo 150ml cups  /  Espazzola  /  Hottop  /  Acme and Loveramics cups /  embroidered by me bar towels  /  coffee bar towel logo embroiderer to the hoi polloi  /  in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass  /  6 gorgeous guineas  /  a dog  /  a very lovely and understanding husband 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MildredsBarTowels

It's ok. I was pleasently surprised opening La Tezzera (?) to find they are lighter beans. I had a quick hope they would be like your old Finca San Francisco. Alas I was wrong but it tasted exactly like your tasting notes (and made on presumably far worse equipment) - cherry cola. 5/10 initial taste but a 10/10 aftertaste. And I used half as much milk as usual - trying to keep carbs down to 15g per day is hard when nice coffee arrives!!

Just ordered a bag of the Las Terrazas - looking forward to trying it!

Work: Fracino Cherub (OPV mod), La Pavoni Europiccola (with added pressure gauge), Brazen Plus, V60, Aeropress, Mazzer Royal (titanium burrs), Compak K3 Touch, Gold finger 58.55 Sharp Edge, Reg Barber 58.35mm C-Ripple...

Home: Gaggia Classic (PID, and usual mods), Mazzer Super Jolly (and usual mods), Torr Goldfinger Convex 58.4mm, Torr 58.4mm Soft Convex Ebony XS "Vintage Brass"...

I was in the foundry cafe today. Great flat white and a nice sandwich, what more do u want for a fiver?

Chain coffee shop which tries to look speciality called 200 degrees, is half a mile from foundry and they want a fiver just for a factory made sandwich!

V60 / Aeropress / Wilfa Svart Grinder / Aergrind V2 / Fresh coffee beans