Sign in to follow this  
beanhound

Gaggia classic baskets

Hi

I've just bought a gaggia classic from amazon.

After struggling with the new style pressurised baskets I got googling & found this forum!

I have to grind very course to get any flow, is this a characteristic of the pinhole basket?

Should I order the old style basket?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave and welcome to Coffee Forums UK

Yes, an old style basket is highly recommended

The pressurised baskets currently being shipped are causing issues that you may be experiencing (such as restricted flow or spray in all directions)

Let us know if you need any links for suppliers

Happydonkey and CoffeeHit are the 2 places I would look first though

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Whats the new basket designed for? I take it that it helps produce a "crema" with the "for all coffee makers" type ground coffee that is readily available?

Lee

Coffee consultant, barista trainer & technician based in North Devon!

Email me! Tweet me!

Call me! 07455 188935

Hi

I've just bought a gaggia classic from amazon.

After struggling with the new style pressurised baskets I got googling & found this forum!

I have to grind very course to get any flow, is this a characteristic of the pinhole basket?

Should I order the old style basket?

Regards

Dave

In my experience you will waste lots of coffee trying to get a good shot with the pressurized basket, and if you lose the brown plastic bit it sprays coffee up the walls !

Do yourself a favour and bin the brown plastic thing, give the pressurized basket to your local scrap man and order a regular basket from Happy Donkey or wherever and you wont look back ! Well...... that is unless you reply to a post about pressurized baskets........ see Messy spitting Gaggia thread.....

Thanks for the replies.

I am now sorted thanks to happy donkey who have sold me the correct baskets.

I think I'll take the advice & bin the pressurised baskets.

I have just received my Classic from Amazon. All seems well and yes they have the pressurised baskets but what I am not sure about is a bit of plastic that was in the box that I can not find a home for.

It is like a rectangular hexagon with raised slots that look like they should fit in some where! Any ideas? About 5-6 inches long and about three inches high!

I have just received my Classic from Amazon. All seems well and yes they have the pressurised baskets but what I am not sure about is a bit of plastic that was in the box that I can not find a home for.

It is like a rectangular hexagon with raised slots that look like they should fit in some where! Any ideas? About 5-6 inches long and about three inches high!

That sits in the drip tray, under the stainless mesh.

What is that hexagon for in the drip tray? I found it just got messy so don't use it.

Meant to be a splash guard from the overflow pipe (diverting the water along instead of into the tray and out again)

Next to useless though (like the plastic tamper supplied)

I always remove and everyone I know does too.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense, I think. Still, no need for it.

I wouldn't be binning the pressurized basket things, though, hang on to 'em as I've a feeling they're going to come in handy when I decide to have a go at backflushing - it looks easy to convert them into blind baskets?

I kept my splash guard, as I see no reason not to have it.

Eurka Mignon grinder | Gaggia Classic | Rancilio wand | Auber Instruments PID | bottomless PF | VST baskets

Admetior digital spoon scale | OE dosing funnel | Reg Barber tamper (flat) | Bodum double-wall and Butlers.de cups

Latest beans: Londinium Decaf Costa Rican, Square Mile Tegu AA, Hands-On Lusty Glaze.

I kept my splash guard, as I see no reason not to have it.

Took mine out, it seems to serve no purpose, just something else to wash!

Ah, thanks, that makes sense, I think. Still, no need for it.

I wouldn't be binning the pressurized basket things, though, hang on to 'em as I've a feeling they're going to come in handy when I decide to have a go at backflushing - it looks easy to convert them into blind baskets?

I just bought a blank basket with my normal basket. Suppose you could block the holes to make your own blank.

Blind baskets are less than £3 and the rubber backflushing discs are less than a £1 (these sit in a normal basket)