IGNORED

Sage Oracle: Recommendations for Beans + Settings?

Gardyke, great tip, I'll do that and report back tomorrow. Also, can you send a link to the spouts you use on your Oracle please?

http://cafe-kultur.de/collections/accessory/products/spout-bb-standard-2 Although mine are green.

Its the Dual Boiler I have. The oracle is at work with stock spouts

Cheers

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I think I'll be investing in an Oracle in the not-too-distant future. Exciting!

Was originally thinking of the Alex Duetto IV or the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi S1-II.. but i think the Oracle better suits what I'm after..

Are there any "known issues" with the Oracle or any quirks?

Picked up my oracle today

need help I will ring sage for wgs monday

i want to do latte art I have been trying all the settings

I am on 30 grind illy beans and cold jug and milk set to one dash above lattee any tips please

thanks love my coffee but new to this

steve

Picked up my oracle today

need help I will ring sage for wgs monday

i want to do latte art I have been trying all the settings

I am on 30 grind illy beans and cold jug and milk set to one dash above lattee any tips please

thanks love my coffee but new to this

steve

Is 30 grind a setting on the oracle? It's hard to give advice on this unless someone else has the same machine and beans, and even then settings will vary between machines.

You would be better served by fresh roasted beans. I'm guess the Illy ones are from a supermarket? They will have been sitting about on the shelf a long time.

As for the latte art, my tip would be to watch some videos. I'm sure there are ones showing how to do it with the Oracle. It's a technique that can take some time to master, but the espresso needs to be good too!

The more I read the more I am impressed by the Oracle. It might get me off the hook of making coffee for SWMBO. Having said that, I'm not a fan of integrated devices. I have hi fi separates in case the CD drive dies, protects the investment in the amp and power amp. Although nothing has ever died. Maybe I should trust more.

Don't Lakeland offer a lifetime warranty?

• 1 year later...

Each shot delivers at a pre set 22.5 grms. It is set to deliver southern hemisphere heavier bean doses & never been offered set to US/Eur circa 18 grms. Can be adjusted slightly but not much.

To get it to work at its best it is quite wasteful inasmuch as I allow 25 grms per shot & single dose. I only put into the grinder the amount of beans required for the number of shots I am pulling. With 22.5 size shot aim for circa 44/45 grms out.

A direct answer to your question is that even with the fan, left too long the Beans get too warm for my liking.

Thanks Ron - great insight

Have you experienced negative effects of 'too warm' beans in tasting coffee? e.g. towards the end of a day is it reasonably common to notice a difference in taste that you know is probably due to bean warming?

As a novice who has aspirations and the appetite to learn quickly - I'm assuming the 22.5 grms issue might not be a problem for me for a while though bean warming I'm not sure about.

I really like the repeatability of the Oracle from what I've read though still concerned whether it will grow with my expertise against my other option which would be DB and Mignon grinder

I very much do my own thing with the Oracle. It really is a very good machine.

Not everyone agrees with me but I do find fuller flavour coffee if the beans are chilled just before adding to the hopper.

I have always been anti hopper with any grinder. Beans detoriate much quicker than you imagine. Its alright used in a coffee shop with a fairly rapid throughput but beans in hoppers for home use is a definite 'no no' for me.

IMO DB with a separate grinder would be the way to go.

The Oracle benefits for me is that all the Family can use it with very little practice.

Coffee for myself I invariably make using the EK43 & then the Oracle.

As long as you adjust the weight out (ratio) the large dose is not a problem.

Family using it is main pull for me too - though still I think I'm gonna take your advice and go DB and separate

Sh*t I just checked the price when I googled 'EK43 grinder' - sh*t, still calming down....

Sh*t I just checked the price when I googled 'EK43 grinder' - sh*t, still calming down....

Sorry about that but I'm afraid that's life in the real coffee world.

You probably don't know but I had an EK way before the Oracle came into being.

• 2 years later...

Hooking in here... Just got the Oracle Touch and am suboptimally convinced. I just use the default setting on Espresso, and the coffee is lukewarm.

I find no setting for that; there is a brew temperature setting that I turned to 96°C, and there's the grind I've twisted to 8, but no change. Also, I put 32 secs but still only a very low amount of very luke warm coffee is coming out.

A cappucino I made though was nice. The milk function works well.

96 degrees is hotter than I’d go with most of the beans I use, I think I had the Oracle set most of the time at 92 or 94 when I owned one.

It may help to heat your cup before pouring the espresso, I used the hot water tap for this as the cup warmer was pretty poor as I recall.

I’ve not used the touch, my sense is that you will only get the best from the machine if you customise the settings to suit your tastebuds and ensure you are using freshly roasted beans rather than anything from the supermarket.

Good luck, there is plenty of useful information in this site in the sage section of the forum and from forum members if you get involved .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 15:01, _eMaX_ said:

Hooking in here... Just got the Oracle Touch and am suboptimally convinced. I just use the default setting on Espresso, and the coffee is lukewarm.

I find no setting for that; there is a brew temperature setting that I turned to 96°C, and there's the grind I've twisted to 8, but no change. Also, I put 32 secs but still only a very low amount of very luke warm coffee is coming out.

Have you actually measured the temperature of the water though? I took 2 back as the water was nowhere near the reported temp. I got the non touvh oracle instead. It's been great.

On 10/12/2019 at 15:01, _eMaX_ said:

Have a look at a vid I made for another member in 

Set yourself up a custom profile, its the only way to make sure that its you telling the machine what to do...