mrpetrov

Sage Oracle: Recommendations for Beans + Settings?

Hi there!

I've recently purchased the Sage Oracle after enjoying it when in Sydney last Christmas. I'm no coffee expert, so I was looking for some starter recommendations for fresh bean brands and related Oracle settings (eg grind coarseness, tamp pressure, temperature, etc) for your recommended beans? I generally like mid-strong coffee, but not too bitter or tart. We live in south west London (SW6).

Any guidance or suggestions hugely appreciated!

P.

Ok Oracle doses around 21 g each time

I would not play with the tamp pressure to be honest

Grind setting will be dependent on the type of coffee your using and i cant give you a number to work to for that

What coffee are you using though :)

Have you read through the manual , id would look at setting up the volumterics programme ( there will be clip and sutff on the sage site to help you with this )

Any questions come back ...

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Listen to Boots.

He is the oracle on the Oracle

Looks like a great bit of kit - enjoy!

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

We have one at the roastery . I was very surprised to choke the machine only half way through the grind settings. The dose is very nicely tamped and appears to be based on basket depth. An 18g VST results in 20.5-22g depending on the coffee and its flipping consistent, within 0.5g each and every time.

Edited by garydyke1

@garydyke1

Sounds impressive. How does the heat from the boilers affect the beans? I'm just curious, not in the market. As you will see from signature I'm not for throwing stones at Sage kit.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Sounds impressive. How does the heat from the boilers affect the beans? I'm just curious, not in the market. As you will see from signature I'm not for throwing stones at Sage kit.

Longer the machine is on , the hotter the temp in the hopper

I weighed out about 30 doses in the basket supplied ( not the vst ) was 21g plus or minis 0.2 each time

Longer then machine is on you tend to find the grind needs to tighten a bit

Instagram - rjw_inc

Many thanks for the tips! I've read through the manual - it would be awesome if I could get a combination of beans and settings that you guys might recommend? MrBoots, what's your choice of beans and settings for your oracle? Thanks again.

As for volumetric settings - do you mean setting the volume settings for the 1CUP and 2CUP settings?

Finally, how should I think about how tight I should put the basket into the group head? I mean do i screw it in as far to the right as I possible can, or just as far as it begins to tighten...? It seems the tamping, grinding etc is all so accurate, but it leaves huge margin of error for the human part of the process (is inserting the coffee filter/basket into the group head)...?

Many thanks for the tips! I've read through the manual - it would be awesome if I could get a combination of beans and settings that you guys might recommend? MrBoots, what's your choice of beans and settings for your oracle? Thanks again.

Buy some decent fresh beans from a decent roaster

Have you had your white gloves visit form Sage , they wil help you dial in a shot and set up the volumetrics

Instagram - rjw_inc

Ok, will do. We haven't got the white glove service, we bought it from amazon...do we just call sage and ask for a white glove first time service?

Ok, will do. We haven't got the white glove service, we bought it from amazon...do we just call sage and ask for a white glove first time service?

Could do . I dint know if its provided with all purchases or not

Give it a go . Its worth it....

First off buy decent beans - fresh - not supermarket

What drinks do you want to make ( latte? amerciano ? )

What flavours do you want ( chocolate nutty fruity ? )

Instagram - rjw_inc

The coffee we have at the moment is some monmouth fresh beans,. although they're probably a few weeks old now (although no sign of sweating).

We generally make americanos and add a dash of milk. Prefer chocolate/nutty flavours rather than fruity.

The coffee we have at the moment is some monmouth fresh beans,. although they're probably a few weeks old now (although no sign of sweating).

We generally make americanos and add a dash of milk. Prefer chocolate/nutty flavours rather than fruity.

Fresh roasted is a good start

Try and get the white gloves service if you can , they can show you how to set up the volumetrics and the one touch americano functions

Instagram - rjw_inc

The Oracle has a fan to keep the beans cool. Damn thats a nice touch. Plus the work area lighting, which I do wish my SDB did have. Considering how to add lighting to pimp (yo yo yo) my SDB.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

The more I read the more I am impressed by the Oracle. It might get me off the hook of making coffee for SWMBO. Having said that, I'm not a fan of integrated devices. I have hi fi separates in case the CD drive dies, protects the investment in the amp and power amp. Although nothing has ever died. Maybe I should trust more.

I have a follow-up query. I've been noticing that my oracle reliably tends to start pouring the espresso out of the left nozzle a fraction of a second before the right nozzle. I ran a few tests, and it seems that the left espresso nozzle will fill up an espresso glass about 3-5mm more than the right espresso nozzle. Is this something to be concerned about and is it worth contacting Sage about? Thanks as always!

Is your machine perfectly level?

I wouldnt worry about that, unless your machine is perfectly level and your bed of grinds is also perfectly level then you will get a pour from one first, if its a second or two+ for the pour to appear from the other side then maybe have a look at the two above points.

Twitter @Froggystyle

Ah, got it. Haven't checked how level it is or not - will do! Thanks again guys.

EDIT: Yup, checked with 2 spirit levels and it's as near to perfectly level as I can tell (to the level of precision of my human eyes).

Ah, got it. Haven't checked how level it is or not - will do! Thanks again guys.

EDIT: Yup, checked with 2 spirit levels and it's as near to perfectly level as I can tell (to the level of precision of my human eyes).

I hate the Sage spouts, they are too narrow and too flat. anyway.....

Put a small square of paper under the two left feet and try again. Keep adding another square of paper until the pours are consistent. The spirit level wont look to have changed to the naked eye but its a enough to get a proper split pour. I did this with my DB prior to changing the spouts to Nuova Simonelli ones.

@garydyke1

Gardyke, great tip, I'll do that and report back tomorrow. Also, can you send a link to the spouts you use on your Oracle please?

Gardyke, great tip, I'll do that and report back tomorrow. Also, can you send a link to the spouts you use on your Oracle please?

http://cafe-kultur.de/collections/accessory/products/spout-bb-standard-2 Although mine are green.

Its the Dual Boiler I have. The oracle is at work with stock spouts

Cheers

@garydyke1

The oracle is at work with stock spouts

What does that get used for?

What does that get used for?

It's on trial. Possibly will start selling them

@garydyke1

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I think I'll be investing in an Oracle in the not-too-distant future. Exciting!

Was originally thinking of the Alex Duetto IV or the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi S1-II.. but i think the Oracle better suits what I'm after..

Are there any "known issues" with the Oracle or any quirks?

Picked up my oracle today

need help I will ring sage for wgs monday

i want to do latte art I have been trying all the settings

I am on 30 grind illy beans and cold jug and milk set to one dash above lattee any tips please

thanks love my coffee but new to this

steve