unoll

Ims 200um showerscreen

I got a shiny new ims 200um shower screen yesterday and it seems to make a noticeable difference to water distribution versus the shower screen fitted to the machine as standard. Previous flow seemed to predominantly come from nearer the centre of the screen but with the ims I get an even distribution of droplets. Not quite sure if my grinder and technique are good enough for me to notice a mind blowing taste difference but I seem to be getting more even looking pucks with less donating and extraction ratios against time seem to have less variance.

For reference, I bought mine from foundry at the same time as a kilo of beans so I got the screen for £15 minus 15% discount and free postage, not sure there's a better deal if you want one of these (beans are pretty good too).

Instagram = @unolonu

How difficult was the shower screen removal? I need to clean mine I think! My water droplets are quite even on my standard screen - especially after a backflush.

I didn't find it easy to remove the stock shower screen. Tried using a spoon and a short flat blade screwdriver. Almost gave up a few times. What I didn't realise and something that I hadn't seen mentioned was that the lip of the shower screen is behind the seal/gasket. So, if your seal is getting on a bit and has hardened etc, I'd advise trying to lever that out rather than what I tried which was trying to prize out the shower screen itself.

Invested in a set of pointed/angled spike type tools which I'll use when replacing the stock seal and shower screen with an IMS 200um competition screen plus Cafelat long life silicone seal in the next week or so.

It's a pain to get off but I find it easier if the groups heated up a bit. I use plastic tyre levers to do the job.

+1 on the cafelat seal. I swapped mine the day I got the machine. Way easy to clean and nice to know it won't perish or make the shots taste weird.

I'm still enjoying using the screen, dispersion is miles more even and I don't get donut pucks any more.

Instagram = @unolonu

Plastic tyre levers sound an interesting instrument to use. Do you have a link please to the ones you're using?

Thanks.

Plastic tyre levers sound an interesting instrument to use. Do you have a link please to the ones you're using?

Thanks.

Jesus

Thanks.

Just get some cheapies from wilko or somewhere like that. Probs not very good for their intended use as I've snapped loads on tight tyres, but they do the job fine in this instance. The plastic is less likely to damage your nice shiny e61 finish.

Instagram = @unolonu

There's your problem.

Other members advised having used a short 'stubbie' screwdriver which is the only reason I tried that after having no luck using a spoon. A combination of trying both plus tugging on the shower screen was how I eventually got it off.

Hoping that this time round by aiming to prize the seal out, things will be somewhat easier.

+1 for the IMS. Just replaced my stock one on the Vivi and it's made a noticeable difference. The spent puck also no longer has holes where the majority of water flowed. Super easy to keep clean. I think everyone should have one of these! Also, highly recommend the clear silicone gaskets from @steve_bkk. Just lube the edges and it's easy enough to fit/remove and clean the basket (E61).

Coffee enema anyone?