RDW

Happy Donkey (www.happydonkey.co.uk)

Used recently (2010) to buy a grinder and accessories. Items were well-packed, as described, and delivered promptly, and a followup query was answered quickly by email. Including a bag of coffee to dial in the grinder was a nice touch. Note that prices are VAT-exclusive, but adding an item to your basket calculates and clearly displays the required VAT.

I've gotten a replacement part and a bottomless PF from Happy Donkey, and was very happy with the transaction. There was also quick response to a question I had about whether the replacement part included its mounting screw, which is one of those little details you really appreciate a dealer being able to address promptly. So I'm a happy customer.

Eurka Mignon grinder | Gaggia Classic | Rancilio wand | Auber Instruments PID | bottomless PF | VST baskets

Admetior digital spoon scale | OE dosing funnel | Reg Barber tamper (flat) | Bodum double-wall and Butlers.de cups

Latest beans: Londinium Decaf Costa Rican, Square Mile Tegu AA, Hands-On Lusty Glaze.

My Iberital MC2 and bottomless PF came from there, best prices and prompt delivery, can`t say fairer than that.

ECM Barista, Mazzer Royal, Bialetti Brikka, Aeropress, Reverse osmosis water system, home made Vanilla Syrup, Espresso Gear Barista tamper.

I've been ordering allsorts from them over the last 3 weeks, including iberital grinder, baskets, beans, puly products, stainless jugs, tampers, tamping mats etc. Everything arrives quickly & well packaged with great communication confirming the exact date of delivery.

I've phoned them for advice & clarification on a couple of occasions, always very helpful & friendly.

10/10.

I've used Happy Donkey a couple of times. They replace my Iberital MC2 when it stopped working. Their responses to emails can be hit-and-miss, but you get a very good knowledgeable response by phone.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

I have ordered cleaning products from them. Good customer service.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

I phoned Happy Donkey recently and found them very informative. They offered friendly advice and definitely worth a call if you want to purchase your products from a knowledgeable company.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

Has anybody here tried Happy Donkey's Classic Italian beans? Very good value if you like classic Italian espresso.

Londinium I, Mazzer Mini E, Claris Everpure, Aeropress, Cafétière.

I recently bought some Puly Caff and Puly Baby from Happy Donkey. Arrived promptly. No problems.

I also recently bought an Iberital MC2 from them. Again it arrived the next day, but unfortunately the courier company delivered it to the wrong address. I managed to sort it out though, so no harm done.

I would use them again.

RoloD, HD threw in a bag of Classic Italian beans as a freebie with my MC2. Very nice indeed. I think I'll be buying some more of those.......

Expobar Leva Dual Boiler -- Eureka Zenith 65E -- Coffee Forums Engraved Pro-Tamp 58mm Tamper (Thanks Coffee Forums!!!) -- Cafelat Tubbi Knockbox -- ECM Gran Crema Bottomless PF -- Freshly Roasted Beans -- Overwhelming thirst for espresso.....

Just another shout for HD. I just bought a MC2 grinder from them. Fantastic service very quick delivery and great customer service. Many thanks to Scott who quickly sorted out a query I had. I'll definitely use again.

Cheers

Russ

Expobar Dual Leva, Aeropress, Mazzer Super Jolly, Mazzer Major, Niche Zero.

May as well put my 2 pence worth in here... Had two orders with them and both been met with pleasantly and with great customer service! Highly recommended!

Spoken to them on a number of occasions prior to orders for advice and very helpful and friendly.

I've purchased the following with them:

Order 1: Gaggia Bottomless Portafilter, 2 x 2oz shot glasses (1 was chipped and replacement sent out straight away and efficiently), group head brush.

Order 2: Iberital MC2 (2 x 2oz shot glasses, group head brush and 500g Italian beans as freebies), water filter, coffee grinds brush, Silvia replacement steam wand for Gaggia Classic.

Would definitely use again! :)

Would it be worth a voting poll on supplier reviews?

Espresso: Gaggia Classic w/steam wand mod | Iberital MC2 | Bottomeless Portafilter | Motta 58mm Tamper (Flat)

Other brews: Cuisinart DBM8U Burr Grinder | Porlex Hand Grinder | 2 x AeroPress | 1 Cup Ceramic Drip

Tea/Cascara brews: Hario CHJK-45 Pot | Bodum Assam 1L Pot

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way!

I have just ordered a few bits namely shot glasses, steel jug and arrived in excellent time, well packaged too. Also answered my enquiry email quickly.

Caggia Classic with IMS Shower Plate - Brass Shower Plate Holder - Rancilia Steam Wand - OPV Mod - Compaq K3 Touch - Crema Pro 58mm Tamper - Currently drinking CC Sweet Bourbon

Just to add to my previous review...

Have finally just got around to fit the Rancilio Silvia steam wand mod. Can't tell you how easy it was.

Have been putting it off for weeks as looking through some of the tutorials you need sandpaper and a method of cutting through the existing Gaggia wand.

I thought I'd take off the existing want and compare the two side by side so I could see what was needed to be done. To my disbelief I had found that the parts were a direct swap! The retaining bolt on the Silvia steam wand was exactly the same as the original steam wand. :)

It took a grand total of 5 minutes! Some of which was double checking the side-by-side comparison as I couldn't believe I'd got this lucky!

It looks like the latest shipment of these in to Happy Donkey are direct replacements with nothing else needed to be done. The link to them is here http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hdr0001.html. Great news for everybody if this is how they are getting them in now.

Thanks again Happy Donkey! :)

Espresso: Gaggia Classic w/steam wand mod | Iberital MC2 | Bottomeless Portafilter | Motta 58mm Tamper (Flat)

Other brews: Cuisinart DBM8U Burr Grinder | Porlex Hand Grinder | 2 x AeroPress | 1 Cup Ceramic Drip

Tea/Cascara brews: Hario CHJK-45 Pot | Bodum Assam 1L Pot

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way!

Agree with all the positives.

Backflushing disc and other assorted cleaning stuff arrived, quickly and with no fuss.

Good 'how to' bits on their website to.

recommended.

Just to temper the flow somewhat.....

On the 11th January I ordered a grinder and bits from HD. Today (19th) I received an e-mail saying my order will be delivered on the 23rd.

Al

Gaggia Classic | Iberital MC2 | Bottomless Portafilter

I have used Happy Donkey a few times and always had a quick delivery.

My only complaint would be that they sometimes take a while to respond to emails. (Been a few days before!)

La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi, Brasilia Roma Cappuccino, Mazzer Super Jolly, Iberital MC2, v60, Dulait Grinder, Pullman Barista Tamper (Australian Oak), 53mm Motta Tamper

Work

La Marzocco FB80, La Cimbali Magnum

It's only me then? I ordered a grinder hopper from them last June after spending ages scouring the internet looking for one that would fit. Their website showed the exact one I needed. I ordered it. It arrived (no problems there). Unfortunately it looked nothing like the one shown, and while it didd technically fit in the hole the stem of the hopper was so tall it would have fallen off if you put beans in it and driven round a corner (ihave a van) also the quality was a bit crap tbh. Anyway after a couple of unresponsive emails I managed to get hold of them on the phone, I sent it back as suggested, they said they would send a replacement or give me a refund. Well its now more than 6 months later and I've had neither, despite repeated emails. I've tried to call them a few times, bit never got an answer. I might give them another try later, maybe they've improved.

Another vote up for Happy Donkey.

I've used them twice, once via their web page then this week over the telephone.

Spoke to Scott who took the order no problem and shipped next day. Been a slight delay with interlink but he's been very helpful keeping me informed of whats going on.....so fingers crossed if interlink come through, I'll be bottomless tomorrow and my classic will be sparkly clean ))

cheers

I'm new to the coffee world, but not to the online retailer world (I buy *a lot* online).

I ordered from Happy Donkey and realised I made a mistake in the order right away. With any online retailer this wouldn't be a problem. I sent them a message via their website's contact form and rested comfortably (it was late in the evening). Around midday the next day, I received an email confirming shipment (granted, quick shipment). A phone call to Happy Donkey confirmed that the order had been picked up by the courier unchanged, because there was no sign of my message in their inbox.

It was Scott I spoke to and he seemed to think that the failure of their contact form was normal and that these things "just happen". His lack of concern for the failure of his website's contact form was, in my eyes, bizarre. However, as I'd made the original mistake, I was happy to share the cost of this failure by just buying the item I actually wanted *aswell* at a reduced price, or some similar offer. Scott's best offer was a whole £1.00 off. We're talking about a website that charges £5 for carriage here :) When I expressed that I wouldn't be putting anymore business through them again if that was as good as he could offer, Scott's attempt at customer service led him to claim I was "getting shirty". Then he said "whatever" and hung up.

I really hope he/they (is Happy Donkey just Scott?) can turn this around, and if so I'll update this post. Until then, I'm buying elsewhere.

Edited by nobrob

I have to say I've never had any problems with Happy Donkey and their £5 delivery charge (for everything) actually seems very reasonable.

I think in cases where you have made a mistake the best thing is to pick up the phone and talk to the company (this is certainly my policy) to make sure they can correct the order or cancel it.

Londinium I, Mazzer Mini E, Claris Everpure, Aeropress, Cafétière.

I tried to post my findings as objectively as possible. Although some opinion has leaked in, it should serve as an unbiased view on how Happy Donkey have behaved with me and will potentially behave with any customer. This post is more subjective.

I have to say I've never had any problems with Happy Donkey and their £5 delivery charge (for everything) actually seems very reasonable.

"Reasonable", sure. Many retailers will provide cheap if not free delivery. If they can do it, why not Happy Donkey?

It makes no sense to me to charge £5 if you're buying something that is less than 100g and fits in a large letter. It also makes no sense to me to charge £5 if you're spending a large amount of money in a single order (the profit will be made in the expensive item's margin).

One reason I can think it may seem reasonable to you, is because as far as I can see, most online retailers in the coffee market seem to charge around £5 for carriage (please show me I'm wrong, I'd like to shop there!).

In any case, it's not my main point. I paid the carriage charge for my order. It would just be nice to know that since the margin on their delivery charge is probably quite high, that they could waive it in certain circumstances.

I only wanted to change one item in my order, now it's going to cost me £5 to have that one item shipped.

I think in cases where you have made a mistake the best thing is to pick up the phone and talk to the company (this is certainly my policy) to make sure they can correct the order or cancel it.

I openly admitted that there was a mistake on my behalf. But for a retailer to express absolutely no concern over the failure of their contact form and then to be rude to me is quite unacceptable.

Edited by nobrob

I have used Happy Donkey a few times for bottomless portafillter and a few other odds & sods and never had a problem, also while i have been trying to buy an upgrade for my current machine Scott has been very helpful with info & when he couldn't provide a second hand machine he was more than happy to give me the numbers of few service people he deals with that may have second hand machines suitable, so my personal experience has been nothing but very positive & helpful beyond the norm.

Edited by RobD

Quick mill Verona, Eureka Mignon, 17 & 21gLM VST plus other stuff, even get a half decent coffee out of it sometimes :D

I highlighted my post on this thread to Scott.

His response was to refund my payment and reverse the courier.

No apology and still no concern for their malfunctioning website contact form.

Satisfaction all round then.

Ive used Happy Donkey many many times, received advice from Scott by phone at no advantage to him, as well as wangling a healthy discount on a grinder some years ago.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Happy Donkey.