kostona

Mazzer Robur E vs Compak E10 vs add the best grinder under £2000

Dear forum members, it is my 1st post here, however I am frequent reader of its pages.

My birthday coming up and I decided to treat myself with a new grinder (currently have Mazzer Super Jolly). Looking at the write up online Robur E seems to be the best choice however it is quite big. Compak E10 came out quite recently which is smaller but has the same size burrs, unfortunately there is not much write up on it online. I would like to know what the difference in the cup?

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with grinders above Super Jolly's level so please be kind.

I was also considering HG ONE but not decided that I don't want manual grinder. EK43 is also out of the question, cause reasons =)

This is a purchase for years to come so I don't mind to buy the best grinder available.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Cause reasons =) Means ?

You have two concial burr grinders there , is this intentional ?

Difference in the cup between those two will be neglible , it will come more down to function and retention

Do you want to single dose or change coffee's alot

What machine are you pairing it with

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Yeh I argee with Martin here, your comparing 2 conicals here what about flats; At this price point I wouldn't say a 'best' just some excel in areas where other lack a little. Alot also ties into you personal drinking preferences and quantity of coffee used per week say how often you like to switch out coffees etc.

In my honest opinion, I'd struggle to deal with the size of the Robur in the house unless you were running with a modified hopper etc. The compak is quite abit smaller, especially with the 'cupping' hopper some users are using on here.

For me talk about the types of coffee you enjoy and your user requirements (switching coffee, buying kilos vs buying 250g bags etc.) And everything will start to pan out.

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

Have you ruled out considering an Eureka Mythos?

He could get a Mythos One at the upper end of the budget!

The Ceado's wouldn't go a miss either - E92 can be single dosed on.

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Almost in clima pro territory

Thought the Mythos One (ClimaPro) was circa £2.5k and therefore over OP's stated budget hence suggested the more 'wallet-friendly' vanilla Mythos model.

Thought the Mythos One (ClimaPro) was circa £2.5k and therefore over OP's stated budget hence suggested the more 'wallet-friendly' vanilla Mythos model.

Still at a cheeky price!

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=mythos_One_Clima_Pro_Grinder

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Hi thanks for the quick replies it is very helpful,

at the moment I have Rioba Milano E61 machine which is single boiler machine and which will be replaced very shortly with either Profitec Pro 700 or La Marzocco Linea Mini. I am just waiting for the Minis to ship and hear the feedback from the users. Pretty keen on La Marzzocco, but profitec 700 feature set sounds amazing.

I drink about 2 long blacks a day + 1-2 cups of V60 in the late afternoon. I don't add milk / sugar, but my wife drinks flat whites so therefore it is important to have that option. Currently we go through 1.5-2kg or so a month. Most of those are blends from Rave / Has bean, but we also drink single origins with V60. I like more medium / light roasts with more fruit on the cup than the chocolate. I will prefer a single dose grinder, so we can run several beans at the same time (buying 250g bags). I guess the less retention the better.

regarding the choice of conical burrs. I have read that the flat burrs accentuate the chocolate flavours and the conicals the fruit flavours.

EK43, the more I read about it, the more I feel like it is too smart for me. It is arguably either the best grinder or the fad. A few places in London I've been to either swear by it or curse. I don't have enough experience to tell the difference therefore going for "safer" option. I have a feeling that it will be a better grinder for single origins but again, I am not qualified enough to have an opinion on this.

thanks again!

I wouldn't want to be single dosing a robur...its not great retention wise

Instagram - rjw_inc

Well, ideally I don't want to spend over £1600-£1800 (that is what Robur is going for). 2-2.5k is probably an overkill.

Regarding the Mythos, I haven't seen them around in coffee places in London, everyone is pretty much using Mazzers or K30 ek43 here. So can't compare.

Depends on the cafes you go to. There will be a few mythos around for sure

Instagram - rjw_inc

Comparing shot s between cafe s and their gear is a thankless task

Different coffee different baristas etc...

Instagram - rjw_inc

The Mythos One is gaining more and more popularity amongst coffeeshops and for good reason - I've seen quite a lot of places get them in/swap them for their old grinders.

Nonetheless you're single dosing and you honestly aren't going to benefit from many of the features the Mythos One has over its Eureka branded counterpart.

If you like conics and the taste profile they produce have a read of forum member DavecUK's review of it (setup and modded for single dosing) -

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/CeadoCoffeeGrinderReviewv1.5.pdf

Once you get past burr type is there really much difference in the cup at that price range (£1600-£1800) ?

Twitter @Froggystyle

Pop into Grind, London (London Bridge area?). Look out for the loud fella (Scotford). They have three Mythos One's in use. I'm sure he'd happily share some in-depth knowledge about them to at least give you some more food for thought. Currently on holiday for a week so wait until he's back.

Non-ClimaPro version well within your budget:

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mythos-grinder.html

Edited by DoubleShot

Pop into Grind, London (Chelsea Bridge area?). Look out for the loud fella (Scotford). They have three Mythos One's in use. I'm sure he'd happily share some in-depth knowledge about them to at least give you some more food for thought. Currently on holiday for a week so wait until he's back.

Lol....not during rush service he wont.

Instagram - rjw_inc

I wouldn't want to be single dosing a robur...its not great retention wise

so the cons of Robur so far are the size and the retention. So is there a reason why e10 is cheaper than Robur but technically will give the same results in the cup?

Pop into Grind, London (Chelsea Bridge area?). Look out for the loud fella (Scotford). They have three Mythos One's in use. I'm sure he'd happily share some in-depth knowledge about them to at least give you some more food for thought. Currently on holiday for a week so wait until he's back.

Non-ClimaPro version well within your budget:

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mythos-grinder.html

where about are they? I live next Battersea Park might pop down. The only good place here is the place at queens town road station and they use K30.

Do less reading more tasting. Itll be an expensive mistake.

I doubt ud tell the difference between a robur and a e10

Any you did may be more than likely due to other variables in the shot

Instagram - rjw_inc

I doubt ud tell the difference between a robur and a e10

Any you did may be more than likely due to other variables in the shot

More on conical v flat

I'm still tempted to sell a kidney or something to test this out. A guy from a cafe up here spoke to Coffee Italia on the phone and they said they have M1s ready to ship from Italy