teejay41

Calling all Quick Mill Owners!

Here's a new Quick Mill sub-forum especially for YOU!

Please use it to the full to show the Administrators and Moderators that QM folk are a force to be reckoned with!

Thanks to the hierarchy who sanctioned it and allowed its mum to give birth.

Tony.:coffee:

QM Verona with 0.5mm gicleur & IMS 200µm screen; Mazzers SJ & Royal with single-dose mods and precision adjustment dials by timmyjj21; naked PF; VSTs 15, 18, 20 & 22; Chinese Distribution Thing; Pergtamp & Torr XS convex; Brewista & other scales; Brita Pro Quell 1200; Gene Café 101A. Loadsa bits'n'pieces 'cos too much is never enough!

I cajoled our busy elders and betters for this sub-forum to be allowed, and although technically insufficient numbers have so far expressed an interest, the request has been granted and the Quick Mill forum is now up and running.

In order to appreciate my reasoning for its existence, please view this thread, http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?23876-New-Verona-Forum&p=300286#post300286 and maybe one or two of its predecessors and a couple which follow. I hope we can all benefit from using it on that basis, or indeed for any legitimate purpose beneficial to Quick Mill enthusiasts.

To anyone looking for guidance on choosing a prosumer machine, this rather lengthy thread (all 70-odd posts of it) http://coffeeforums.co.uk/showthread.php?23751-Decisions-decisions!-Choice-between-two-prosumer-machines might be of interest, but unsurprisingly, it's heavily biased towards the Quick Mill Verona machine.

I have thoughts, partially put into practice already, on how to fill an inaccessible Verona water tank, but I'll trial it a bit in practice to dot the i's and cross the t's before posting it in detail. So far though, it appears to be ticking all the boxes.

I'd be glad to hear from any interested Quick Mill forum participants, either by way of replies to this thread or PM if you prefer.

Thanks for your interest in reading this post.

Tony.:coffee:

Edited by teejay41
typo

QM Verona with 0.5mm gicleur & IMS 200µm screen; Mazzers SJ & Royal with single-dose mods and precision adjustment dials by timmyjj21; naked PF; VSTs 15, 18, 20 & 22; Chinese Distribution Thing; Pergtamp & Torr XS convex; Brewista & other scales; Brita Pro Quell 1200; Gene Café 101A. Loadsa bits'n'pieces 'cos too much is never enough!

Thanks for the QM sub forum guys , although my Vetrano is one boiler short of the Verona it's an impressive HX machine.

There's only one improvement I would like to make and this concerns the annoying cutting out mid shot when the tank runs out of water.

I do like the flashing 'water low' light on the Rocket R58 which at least gives you an idea of the water tank level rather than just cutting out .

Is there a generic water low system available that could be adapted to the Vetrano ? It's a pain removing all the cups etc off the top of the machine to check the level !

Thanks for the QM sub forum guys , although my Vetrano is one boiler short of the Verona it's an impressive HX machine.

There's only one improvement I would like to make and this concerns the annoying cutting out mid shot when the tank runs out of water.

I do like the flashing 'water low' light on the Rocket R58 which at least gives you an idea of the water tank level rather than just cutting out .

Is there a generic water low system available that could be adapted to the Vetrano ? It's a pain removing all the cups etc off the top of the machine to check the level !

Afraid I don't know of any-such system. It would always be possible to make up something external, using a small float-switch at the bottom of the tank... I'll ponder it and see if anything comes to mind. As I've had the Verona for less than a fortnight (or two weeks, in American) I've yet to get to grips with that sort of stuff. I keep the tank pretty well topped up anyway, and will soon be posting details of a solution to filling a tank where there is limited clearance below cabinets above, with no room for a bottle or jug and no sightline to the water-level.

The Verona has cut out due to low, or no, water just the once. Fortunately, I was doing a back-flush at the time, so it didn't matter. At least I know the system works!

Edited by teejay41

As you have to remove the cups to fill up, work it into a routine. With the Verona my routine is when not all the cups are in place , last thing at night I fill the tank knowing that I can make coffee /steam through the day without needing to top up.

Alternatively as teejay said possibly rig something utilising standard parts.

Has anyone got any experience of the q m silvano? It's on my list of possibles, but not that much info available.

thanks

Has anyone got any experience of the q m silvano? It's on my list of possibles, but not that much info available.

thanks

I had one for a month. Capable little machine. uses a thermoblock for the steam so takes a couple of seconds to get from water to steam. has a PID if that appeals.

Thanks, what did you replace it with? Trying to avoid buying one thing now, and another in 6 months when I realise that is missed out on one thing or the other!

Thanks, what did you replace it with? Trying to avoid buying one thing now, and another in 6 months when I realise that is missed out on one thing or the other!

Welcome to the forum ,,meet dfk41

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hello to all Quick mill owners, i'm quite new to Home espresso.

Recently bought Alexia Evo,99.9% for espresso, i have paired it up with the Profitec ProT64 grinder.

Ibelieive this combination will last me for many years without getting upgradeitis any time soon.

My question is ''how often should i backflush with detergent''?

Ihave see you tube videos and Wogan coffe suggests using detegent every day, whereas Chris coffee says use it monthly.

Your thoughts and advice guys please.

Hi,

That's an interesting question but you might be better off putting it on one of the more general (less machine specific) sub-forums as it's relevant to all E61 group machines and you would be likely to get many more views.

I think that opinions on this subject vary widely. There are factors which will effect the rate at which the coffee oils and other contaminants build up. For example, the type of coffee you are using, the frequency of use, hardness of water etc.

I have a Verona (so also an E61 lever machine) and pull about 3 to 6 double shots on it on an average day. I guess that I back flush with detergent every two to three months and find that to be plenty. I once left it much longer but became aware that there was a significant reduction in the quality of the taste and crema of the coffee I was brewing. The subsequent clean out resolved that immediately.

The key thing is that it is absolutely critical that you re-lubricate the cam and valve pin ends after every detergent back flush. Not doing so will lead to rapid wear of the valve pin ends which will cease to be 'square' against the cam and that will cause the group to stop functioning properly. Dave Corby has written an excellent guide on how to do that but I'm not sure if it's on this Forum (although I would have thought it should be). However, although it's not difficult to do, you certainly wouldn't want to be doing it every day !

Hope that’s of some help.

• Like 2

There’s a thread here, a sticker, which is called “Cleanliness is next to goodness” or something rather. I’d recommend you read that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's what you should watch will give you all the details you need

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

Here's what you should watch will give you all the details you need

The design of the Minima is different. It’s operated by a solenoid valve, and therefore does not require lubrication after backflushing .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello to all Quick mill owners, i'm quite new to Home espresso.

Recently bought Alexia Evo,99.9% for espresso, i have paired it up with the Profitec Pro T64 grinder.

I Believe this combination will last me for many years without getting upgradeitis any time soon.

My question is ''how often should i backflush with detergent''?

I Have see you tube videos and Wogan coffee suggests using detergent every day, whereas Chris coffee says use it monthly.

Your thoughts and advice guys please.