Try coffee LOL! Sorry couldn't resist.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Well this is an old thread..

But for those of us who like tea and coffee...

Supermarket teas are surprisingly and exceedingly bad. For less money than some tea pigs you can get tea shipped directly from a supplier in china.

I’ve been using this company for several years

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

brewing instructions - applies to their jasmine & dragon well tea

http://shop.amazing-green-tea.com/dragon-well-tea.html#brewingguide

Although Jasmine is ridiculed as inferior tea, I love jasmine and I love the tea when its good quality and uses good quality leaves as a base. Pearls tend to be inferior quality and more astringent than good open tippy leaves

This years Moli Jinzhen golden needle King AAA Grade is very good.

The difference in quality between this and the aforementioned tea pigs I tried out of curiosity is laughable.

I go for a 70-90C Temperature. I personally do not find the temperature to be as pernickety an issue as for coffee.

When pouring boiling water into my cold tetsubin, the temp drops to 80 in seconds and the cast iron pot holds the heat for a good time. On second and subsequent steeping, I use my thermometer to ensure the temperature drops sufficiently before adding the tea in the diffuser.

I sample the tea intermittently, until it tastes right to my own tastes, i.e. enough flavour without becoming astringent. Currently 5-10 minutes. Take the diffuser out and put to one side for the next pot. The flavour improves over the second and third steeping, by which time I’ve generally had my fill of tea for the day.

Edit: Water is important. I had to give up drinking tea when I moved to london for a few years. Soft Scottish water passed through a brita water filter to remove the chlorine works nicely for me.

Edited by PreCoffeeCantankerousness

La Pavoni Europiccola Millenium - Porlex mini - Eureka Mignon Mk2

Hi I use http://www.teagems.co.uk absolutely brilliant cheaper and better quality than tea pigs as well as being delivered to your door. I can recommend the earl Gray as well as the jasmine pearls. In fact I have tried most of the flavoured teas and found them all to be deliciouse. Sorry I sound like an advert I'm not on commission.

Green tea will help you to aid some fat. My trainer also recommend it to me, but you must take care of possible side effects. You can find some informations here link removed..

Edited by Rhys

Mikey1090, although I have turned into a huge lover of tea, including of green tea 5 years ago, I will be honest, I am not entirely convinced that green tea is the best and most scientifically-supported way to boost your metabolism. I am a great supporter of healthy living, so have researched this thoroughly.

The NHS is a good source of information on scientific evidence on different claims, as it is peer reviewed by doctors and this is what it says on the matter: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweight/Pages/how-can-I-speed-up-my-metabolism.aspx

However, if you would like to get into green tea anyway, in my opinion, a quality loose leaf dragonwell (also called 'Long Jing' or 'Lung Ching' in Chinese) as suggested above, is a wonderful place to start!

I used to think I don't like unflavoured green tea 5 years ago, when I only drank it in tea bags - it tasted like astringent dishwater to me, until I came across a quality loose leaf tea given as a gift from China to a dear friend of mine, who gave it to me.

It wasn't a dragonwell (I think it was a more vegetal, more delicate tea like a Yun Wu green tea), but I would also recommend that a dragonwell is a much better place to start as it has a lot more flavour - it is very toasty and nutty, being a lovely, rich, pan roasted green tea. Especially if you are used to the richness of coffee, then this would be the most suitable green tea - I think.

Freshness and quality of the leaf especially the tie of year it was plucked - in March - early April is best) is very important though, as green tea loses its flavour, leaving the astringency only quickly.

Yulia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our tea bottega: www.eastcottandburgess.co.uk

A proud co-owner of my family-run artisan tea company, called the Eastcott & Burgess Tea Bottega.

Inspired by my English grandparents, their life-long, unwaning love for tea and by the beautiful countryside of Surrey county.

Our aim is to inspire and to make this world a happier place through tea.

You should green tea a go don't fall at the first hurdle. Remember that green tea needs hot water around 80C not boiling water as this makes it very bitter, a major problem with high street cafes! Try Chun Mee or Gunpowder to start as these have very different flavours.

Green tea helps with your body weight loss. Green tea burns fat and boosts your metabolism rate naturally. :storm:

Green tea helps with your body weight loss. Green tea burns fat and boosts your metabolism rate naturally. :storm:

It does neither of these to any large degree, it's an urban myth

Sage Duo Temp Pro and Mazzer Super Jolly (Doserless Mod) | Espresso Addict!

I think the reason most people don't like green tea is because they brew it wrong. They drink it like black tea which ends up being bitter.

To get a good cup of green tea, after the kettle boils, let it sit around 5 minutes, so the water temperature is around 80c. Then when you pour into your cup don't brew for more than 2 minutes.

I used to hate drinking green tea but once I figured out the correct way to prepare, I am enjoying it now.

I'm no expert but I have had alot of success with chinese gong fu style brewing for green tea which, from my understanding, usually involves a larger quantity of tea leaves than western style tea brewing and shorter steep times.

At the moment I am enjoying what-cha's Zhejiang wild dragon well 'long jing' green tea. I use 6 grams in a 150ml Gaiwan and brew using 80°c filtered water for 60 - 90 seconds then pour through a strainer. This results in a refreshing and tasty brew with no bitterness.

You can get multiple brews out of good leaves this way, how many depends on, in my opinion, the quality of the leaves and how long you steep each brew for.

With good leaves, decent quality water and shorter steep times I have discovered something completely different to the 'green tea' I was used to and now enjoy my little tea sessions.

Hope this helps.

I really love houjicha - its basically green tea roasted like coffee so has certain similarities - mainly that its more mild than green tea and has a laid back taste.

Traditionally though, it is seen as a little cheap (comparably to stuff like sencha) so don't give it to your Japanese guests unless you want them to leave.

I'm not sure why it's seen as cheaper as it is usually made from Sencha anyway?

what about jasmine tea, they are so easy to drink and basically green tea leaves blend with jasmine flowers.

I've heard that white tea is actually much better for fat burning. It's the least processed type from the camellia sinensis plant and contains the highest amount of antioxidants, which are responsible for increased fat burning. 
Here is an interesting article about it: https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/effective-benefits-of-white-tea-for-weight-loss/#gref

If you want a recommendation on which white teas to try, let me know! 

Tatjana xx
https://teapro.co.uk/