Has anyone got any green tea recomendations?

I've been told by the guy that works in the gym to start drinking it to aid my fat burning. I just seem to wince when I drink it though. Where should I start?

Brands?

Water temp?

Flavours? Thought apple etc might appeal more.

Just plain dragon well loose leaf tea. Really refreshing drink. Don't think of it as a mug of tetley tea - enjoy it for what it is

a grinder a lever and some beans

My tip for green tea is to avoid it like a dose of the pox.

I really love houjicha - its basically green tea roasted like coffee so has certain similarities - mainly that its more mild than green tea and has a laid back taste.

Traditionally though, it is seen as a little cheap (comparably to stuff like sencha) so don't give it to your Japanese guests unless you want them to leave.

most people haven't a clue on how to brew green/blue/yellow/white teas. Dose, temp, time & water quality are equally as important as with coffee. You need good quality loose leaf to start with!

@garydyke1

Green tea is just as particular as espresso.

Dose, temp and steep have to be perfect or it won't go well.

Houjicha is pretty forgiving with temp, but will run away pretty quickly with time.

A good rule of thumb for green tea is 80c for about 30 seconds - but that will in most cases only get a drinkable cup.

But it's better to be gentle.

You can brew tea many times* - so if you brew too aggressively, tea will quite happily give what it's got. Which is probably a whole lot of bitter.

* in the same sitting - it's not a good idea to leave tea for any significant amount of time.

Green tea bag

Boiling water

Leave it in forever

Boom

well come folks lets get some recipies up to help the guy out then!

AKA Toffee chips

well come folks lets get some recipies up to help the guy out then!

Without the type of tea at the least it's difficult to make any suggestions.

Most reputable loose leaf tea is supplied with a recipe showing g/L and time

@garydyke1

if your still looking for green tea try high quality MILK OOLONG from london tea exchange, spitalfieds

your taste notes will be wonderful liquid velvet+light whipped cream, above a very pleasant light bouquet of orchids

(warning once tried your hooked for this tea)

Green tea is a wonderful beverage with potential health benefits. Prepare water at 160°F to 180°F. Good quality water is essential for green tea.

The Hotmetalette brought me back some lovely tea from a trip to China. They're long leaves wrapped up as balls and when you pour water on them they open out into beautiful flowers. You do need a glass tea pot to enjoy the full effect of course, but the tea is lovely too.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

They have these in wagamama. Try one in a long glass latte cup

Londinium L1 Luxe - Compak E10 - Macap M7 - Brita Aquaquell - Torr Trapez Tamper - IMS Shower screen - IMS & VST baskets

Green tea does not make you lose fat, the trick is putting less in your mouth than your body uses.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

Cam, these are the tea balls I mentioned above. I haven't got the perfect glass for them to look great in, but they work alright in my double-wall glasses.

1594a8b6394cd7eb4a02022dc41b7bed.jpg52efcb8e028c4d447779a74ee9b29e67.jpg

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Goto Costa. You buy their lovely tall glass latte glasses there very cheaply and they are just right

Londinium L1 Luxe - Compak E10 - Macap M7 - Brita Aquaquell - Torr Trapez Tamper - IMS Shower screen - IMS & VST baskets

Have you found a green tea to your liking Mikey?

As said here there is a huge variety in what is available and it is a case of finding something that is right for you. Some people like a light sweet tea like the Milky Oolong mentioned or a Jasmine tea, while others prefer a earthier tea like Bancha or something that sits between the two like Chun Mee.

Don't use boiling water and don't steep the tea for too long, and I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

Has anyone got any green tea recomendations?

I've been told by the guy that works in the gym to start drinking it to aid my fat burning. I just seem to wince when I drink it though. Where should I start?

Brands?

Water temp?

Flavours? Thought apple etc might appeal more.

Hi Mikey1090,

Not sure if your using teabags or loose leaf but if you are using teabags, I strongly recommend switching to loose leaf, the flavours are much more organic and refreshing.

As for taste, green tea can often be grassy and many people find they just don't compare to a good proper English brew, but as you state, green tea has certain benefits.

Have you tried flavoured loose leaf green teas? Raspberry Green tea is delightfully fruity and is delicious iced with a little mint! My review on a certain brand of Raspberry green can be found on ym blog http://www.tastethetea.co.uk/2016/02/06/raspberry-green/

I find water temperature doesn't affect green tea too much however, if it is brewed for more than a few minutes it can often take on a really bitter taste that's unpleasant so it's important to not over brew.

Hope this helps :)

Chelsea

Hi All,

I have dropped a few lines about the Green Tea Benefits. Basically the green tea is very good and there are almost none negatives and it is hardly to believe that someone is overdone with it. It helps for Heart, its anti bacterial, improve the memory, helps for fat burning, lower the risk of the various type of cancer.

First off bus some decent green tea, not super market stuff.

This place in London sells decent Japanese Sencha

https://tombotea.myshopify.com/products/zen-sencha?channel=buy_button&referer=http%3A%2F%2Ftombocafe.com%2F&variant=5993716612

Or try Ippodo [super famous Kyoto tea company] which ships internationaly

http://shop.ippodo-tea.co.jp/kyoto/shopf/goods/sencha.html

When brewed with with the previously mentioned recipe

80c 30sec

It should taste sweet, not bitter.

-jkk

__________________________________________/////EK43////EXP DB/////

Heyyy, A few hints :)

- NEVER go for store bought tea bags.. The tea leaf used in them is low grade (called fannings or dust) Due to the size of them they infuse quicker and prone to bitterness. even steeping for a shorter amount of time is no good, as then you won't get the great taste.

- Go for loose leaf. It's far better tasting and better quality than store bought.

- Temperature is a BIG thing. If you steep green tea in boiling water it can often ruin the tea and make it bitter. Try steeping at 85C. Although if you buy loose leaf, most companies will tell you the recommended temperature and steep time on the packet. I always follow these guidelines and then adjust to personal preference if I feel the tea could go a little longer.

- If your not sure and don't want to commit to loose leaf, go for a flavored loose leaf to ease you in.

Try places like Adagio, Bruu or Bluebird Tea Co which have a large range of flavoured blends, your bound to find a few that appeal to your preference.