Coffee Forums banner

European Coffee Trip - Tips for Dialling in

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Xpenno 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Strange document name for a guide on dialing in.

Comments would be that it seems a pretty well written, solid guide and starting point. If you like rules to follow with coffee then it could prove useful. I see he's been using your 80c tips to brew
;)

#8 ·
aaroncornish said:
I thought that, but earlier he mentions that he sticks to dose that the basket is designed d'for, I guess we don't know how closely
:)
He says +-1g in the article. He probably uses VST or LM baskets which are designed to run at these tolerances. I work on the premise that rules are meant to be broken, especially when the rules were created all those years ago and so much has changed since
;)

I currently dose 20g in a 22g VST.

#11 ·
MWJB said:
Intriguing, can you expand on that? Aren't Gwilym's tips, just that, rather than rules?
OK, firstly my point was exactly this. They are there as guidelines but people tend to like to have set rules, I was trying to say don't use them as rules, maybe use them as a starting point.

Also, Vst states, a fair few years ago, that the usable dose for each of its baskets is +-1g from the specified weight, to me that's usually taken as a rule by most people I know who use vst at home or in shops. These rules/guidelines/whatever were created years ago and I think things have moved on in the coffee world since then, so my question is are these rules still valid.

I am currently dosing 20g in a 22g basket and getting some superb results. I've been reading a bunch of articles on extraction which interested me so i started to mess around outside these normal parameters and I'm happy I did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.