NickdeBug

Why are holidays so expensive!

I might just be in a grumpy mood this evening, but why do we work our arses off so that some travel agent or airline can fleece us?

It probably doesn't help that I don't like holidays much. I travel an excessive amount with work anyway (as my BA air mile account will testify) and time off to me means time spent at home.

However, I have slowly been ground down and tonight agreed that we should go on holiday this year.

Two hours and £4k later I now have the dubious pleasure of two weeks in the Maldives to look forward to. As someone who doesn't like sitting still for long I am seriously questioning how I have ended up going to an island that takes 5 mins to walk around it.

jeez I'm a grumpy sod. Amazing she puts up with me really!

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Went there on my honeymoon. The received wisdom is to book a two centre holiday. Go somewhere first to slow down.

If you go straight to Maldives you'll burn your feet on the sand, drink yourself stupid all day long because you're so bored, and swear at the clean living Swiss from your deckchair as they walk around the island everyday for exercise.... (they pass you every seven minutes). It's beautiful but the total halt is very difficult to absorb in one go.

The saving grace for me was the crab racing drinking game in the evenings. You put crabs in the centre of a circle, the first to the perimeter wins and every other owner drinks! Also, I don't think they cleaned their beer pipes properly so one night we had a truly hallucinatory experience... I've had better but it was still good

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Now crab racing sounds like something that might be fun.

The jockeys must be tiny though.

Wish I had £4k to go to the Maldives.

Then I'd buy a Clima Pro and spend three weeks in France with the change.

...The jockeys must be tiny though.

The night of the grubby beer pipes they all wore tiny little silk shirts and jodhpurs, and they all spoke with Italian or Irish accents.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

I would have been quite happy with a long weekend in Cornwall and £3.5k change. Overruled.

Just think, you can sit on the sand burning your arse thinking to yourself '..what could I have spent £4K on that would've given me more pleasure.. a Vesuvius maybe?'

A few years ago I did the double thing with y ex - went to Orkney then Skye.. Should've done it the other way round - Skye was a bit of a comedown to Orkney..

Input: 'Terranovered’ Versalab M3 + Mahlkonig EK43 Turkish burrs + Niche

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

'Kin ell mate! I wouldn't mind going to the Maldives for a fortnight, although I totally get where you're coming from. I'm run ragged most of the time and even travel for pleasure is just more exhaustion and stuff to organise. Luckily the Hotmetalette is a brilliant organiser and good at researching stuff, but she'd been on about going to Santorini for a couple of years. I'm like you: I don't like sitting still for too long, but by the same token I need to just hang out in bars and restaurants on holiday, not have a stupid tick list of things 'you have to' go and see. In the end we were both so knackered I just said book whatever you like so long as we can afford it. So against my better judgement we did end up in Santorini for a week. Cost a bloody fortune (although not 4k thank heavens! ) and the hotel we had was so bad and so noisy, and the bed must have been hewn from bare rock. She was so disappointed she was in tears by day 3. Next time I think we'll just jump on the motorbike and go to the cotswolds.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Now a break in the Cotswolds sounds a great idea.

Wouldn't even have to leave home :)

Seriously, I know that I am having a moan and that We are bloody lucky to be in a position to have a holiday like this. But I spend far too much time in aeroplanes and hotels already and I can't help feeling that the money could be better spent elsewhere, like 20% of a nice classic vert for the summer.

I just went to Cologne for two nights, delightful weather, nice people, delicious food and beer, plenty of variety of activities, largest brothel in Europe, great shops, bags of culture. £40 return flight. £40 a night hotel.

Didn't visit the brothel.

LR|F83EV2|Niche|Lunar

£4k was only the mid range as well.

Silly money for a patch of sand, dodgy beer and a chewy reef fish buffet.

Meeru Island by the way

Wales is quite nice and relaxing. Went to Beaumarris (Anglesey) to the HPB place for a week last year (my other half's boss told her to use his points up) which was nice. Stopped above the golf club. Lovely place - the hall has a swimming pool, small gym, sauna/steam room etc as well as a nice snooker room. Nice relaxing week and caught it when we had a heatwave (got sunburnt at Red Wharf Bay.. that was fun).

Output: KVdW Speedster + V60 + AeroPress + Syphon + Bialetti Induction Moka Pot + Bialetti Mucka Express + jar of instant for visitors..

I went to the Maldives on honeymoon. Echo lots of what you say but the snorkelling was amazing. While the (now ex) wife sat and lazed about I swam on the reef and found morays eels, a several hundred pound grouper, turtle and one day a pod of wild dolphins swam past / under me.

Would be glad to forget her and evenings etc were pretty dull but I'll always remember the reef and it's denizens fondly.

One of the best holidays that I remember was a week in Tenby when I was 17.

Spent the whole time jumping in and out of boats and a lovely redhead who's name now escapes me.

I just went to Cologne for two nights, delightful weather, nice people, delicious food and beer, plenty of variety of activities, largest brothel in Europe, great shops, bags of culture. £40 return flight. £40 a night hotel.

Didn't visit the brothel.

That's a bargain!

Went to Amsterdam as we had free flights care of KLM points, still cost us over £300 for a long weekend at an apartment (opposite the hermitage - near the skinny bridge) took €710.00 (after changing, which included apartment) and came back with about £40. Good job the flights were free!

Spent the whole time jumping in and out of boats and a lovely redhead who's name now escapes me.

I can't believe you've forgotten me!;)

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Jumping in and out of... ... a lovely redhead... Do you remember anything else of the holiday lol

Yeah the Maldives seems to be one of the most expensive places on earth to go on holiday from what I can gather. I actually really do want to go to the Cotswolds this year instead of abroad. And if I had 4k to spare I'd do £500 on a week's B&B and nice meals, and the remaining 3.5k on a (nother) motorbike to get there! If that's where you live then I'm a teeny bit jealous cos it's a beautiful part of the country.

Funnily enough we were just looking at some holiday pics this evening and I found the pics from Cologne. We went for a long weekend and it was ace. It helps that I speak German and know what's what when it comes to beer and food over there. I planned a tour of the best places that served Kölsch such as Päffgen and traditional food like Schweinehaxe. She went to the markets leaving me in the 'man crèche' (any suitable boozer). We checked out the cathedral, the panoramic view from the tower on the other side of the river and did a boat ride. Loads of great pics too. Might be Berlin this year actually.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Man crèche.

love it

:)

We've done our first holiday aboard in term time this year and its truly wounding. We were looking at Euro camps in Italy which worked out to be 3.5k for effectively staying in a caravan and self catering.

We've booked an apartment in Spain instead.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Italy. Now there's a place where they know how to get money off you! Hotmetalette's friend is from a village near the Amalfi coast. She went to the wedding there so we decided to go there for bird's birthday. Apart from Paris I don't think I've ever been rinsed for so much cash in return for mediocre food served by grumpy disinterested staff. The classic example was that we asked for a coke with ice and lemon. I even made the effort to ask for it in Italian. It was 40 degrees in the shade, in the place where they grow lemons. The waitress pretended not to understand (well my Italian is pretty poor to be fair) but she slammed down 2 warm cans of coke and with a face that would turn milk to yoghurt said "No ice. No lemon." before demanding something like 8 euro.

Somehow girly always wants to go to these overrated overpriced places!

Tell me about it... 3 weeks later this year in California and Nevada. Using a lot of points to upgrade to business class for the flights there and back.

Looked at hotels in San Francisco. Yeah... Ok. We'll use AirBnB instead I think. At least Vegas isn't that bad.

Luckily, I know someone in who can lend me a car, so that drops off one of the major charges. Plus it'll be a damn sight better than a normal hire car.

Still going to be hovering around £5k I think by the time we're done... *gulp*

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

If you want action the Maldives will drive you mad. Weve been to two islands and its the perfect holiday for me - sat on a beach reading and generally relaxing. Have you booked all inclusive ? The first time we went there was the b&b option but food and drink was stupidly expensive.

Our fist visit was the flight to Male and then a 12 hour boat trip to the island - not a fun journey !

Snorkelling is amazing, as has been said before - meeting a 5 ft reef shark can be a bit of a shock though !

a grinder a lever and some beans