Beanosaurus

Ceado E37s A.R.S.E Mod

Inspired by the Mythos One Clump Crusher and a desire to improve the performance of my grinder, an idea was conceived in the twilight hours of a Wednesday evening...

As promised - here is the guide to making the Anti-Retention Static-Eliminator modification for the Ceado E37s.

1. Take off the upper burr carrier by removing the 3 screws.

1b57af4b62e553d3f8059a874ab0d9b1.jpg

2. Remove the front panel and gently slide out the flat cable to place it by the side of the body.

d4c6d6e4da5f1f188f04cf5f6436286d.jpg

3. Remove the SCC flap with an Allen key - just loosen rather than remove the nut, also be wary of the washer and slide the rubber flap to the left then remove the adjustment pin.

1247cd66dabd68dd373582c550b9b500.jpg

4. Remove the chute by loosening the two Allen bolts - I found these to be tight so please ensure you have a perfect fitting Allen key, be wary of the SCC plate mounted behind the chute that will come off as well.

3299d2ca9ef096dbbd0eb1eaca9f90a2.jpg

5. Remove the grind chamber flap - it sits loosely and will come out easily.

73370a39f918166345c7e4f1b61c9ead.jpg

Edited by Beanosaurus

6. Take your favourite bevvy can and cut a piece out with some scissors - 3"x3" will do.

If Carlsberg did clump crushers...

c0a5d89034bb8a14f55d3e423c40474e.jpg

7. With the bolts in the chute holes, place it on the aluminium sheet and prick two holes where the bolts lie, then take something wider like a kebab stick and bore the hole wider to accommodate the bolts.

I eventually screwed them through and attached the sheet to the chute.

150e8f4f870a6b78df63158ab3ade2d0.jpg

1be7b132dceea7a64f37236f9c3bcd7e.jpg

8a04353049ef1c0cf802cfebefaa5be1.jpg

8. Cut around the backplate of the chute removing any sharp edges.

35a2950f84fd63c82b0760ae7dc003cb.jpg

Make an incision exactly half way across from the top to centre to create the first 'tooth'.

Score the bottom corner with a drawing pin then unscrew the sheet from the chute.

fd75c7dbe59dc42efdde6d5aa56207fa.jpg

The next bit is fiddly - slightly bend the top left corner of the sheet up then take the first cut slightly farther, rotate the scissors and aim for the bottom corner marking and then take it across horizontally so you end up with three "teeth" - bend them out approx 30-45 degrees.

(I realised the V.1 mod had a lip at the bottom so the above descript is for the V.2 - more on this later.)

7a4cf92a8b9c1161e5fcf900d401909a.jpg

32d76769ec8a3186cad45295c4619187.jpg

8c80a3a042c07eb8171e1f5fe96adf53.jpg

Edited by Beanosaurus

9. Re-attach the chute with the SCC plate.

Get some electrical tape and cover up the top of the chute - this will stop ground coffee flying inside the grinder's innards.

You'll need three pieces.

ebf15b78c1f98761d836c186ae894721.jpg

10. Re-assemble the grinder!

Here are some rough sketches of the first two designs and several others I haven't tried yet which may give better benefits.

The aluminium flexes when centrifugal force from the burrs pushes coffee out so the thicker the can the better as less movement means more consistency.

2e7e02b84ac053b4996a36f9db0e30ff.jpg

Also I removed, tipped, scraped out, and weighed all residual coffee from the nooks and crannies of the burr chamber area and it weighed an impressive 5.8g.

I can't quantify as to what retention that would be in terms of having a decent weight of beans in the hopper with the grinder having already had say at least 5 shots through it from a deep clean but it will be really low!

42f40ab952f2ca79794c6c74f9e2810d.jpg

Edited by Beanosaurus

At last, a can of Carlsberg being used for a good reason, even if the contents are worthless.

Good job

@garydyke1

Must be a little frustrating to spend £1000+ on a grinder and still have to do all this.

I've not had the chance to see one of these in action. Is the clumping that bad?

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

If Carlsberg did A.R.S.E mods they would probably be the best Anti-Retention Static-Eliminator modification for the Ceado E37s in the world

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Beanosaurus

Genius!

Many, many thanks for taking the time to put this guide together and sharing it.

Must be a little frustrating to spend £1000+ on a grinder and still have to do all this.

I've not had the chance to see one of these in action. Is the clumping that bad?

The first vid shows the grinder with the SCC on set very open - basically at its worst (I was WDTing the doses).

https://vimeo.com/125371550

The second shows the V.2 mod, anecdotally speaking I'd say it was a tad clumpier than the first version but no major issues with distribution and retention upon looking up the chute is very minimal.

https://vimeo.com/125371576

With each bag of beans I go through I'll try out the other designs and see which of them I prefer.

Unfortunately I don't think I can afford either time or money to do a controlled test with each design.

After each session, I always clean out the exit chute of any remaining grounds using a brush. How easy/difficult are you finding cleaning with your A.R.S.E. in situ?

I don't bother, used to use a kebab stick but now I just purge a couple grams when I come back to it.

I do the purging too the following session but I'm thinking when changing from one bean to the next, I'd be happier with a complete clean out. Guess could always remove the top part and get a brush in and around the new pointy jaws part of your mod?

Is that an Orphan Espresso pf funnel? Looks just the ticket!

A soft 1/2" brush will do the business of you're inclined to keep things clean, but if you do a deep clean you'll have to repopulate the gaps with a few grams of the new stuff.

No bother really. :)

How usable is it, on the clumping side of life, stock?

Thank you.

Saw you try to PM me but only just cleared my inbox.

As stock it's certainly usable, finding the sweet spot on the SCC can be tricky and I will say that if you do decide too adjust it, it will not go any tighter if you have ground coffee through it as there will be resistance in the form of retention.

Clear the chute and flap out with a kebab stick/pointy thing then adjust otherwise it won't work.

If adjusting the SCC to be more open then of course that's fine.

When grinding finer you'll may opt to have the SCC closed tighter - this also means more retention.

Saw you try to PM me but only just cleared my inbox.
Yep, sorry. I wanted to ask you a few questions about the grinder, the main one being about clumping. Are you happy with it?

Thank you.

Yep, sorry. I wanted to ask you a few questions about the grinder, the main one being about clumping. Are you happy with it?

Thank you.

Happy with it now, though the guide I've given for mod is for the V.2 version which I find slightly clumpier than the prototype, if I've time this weekend I'll try another design and feedback with results.

Awesome, thank you. Really appreciate it. Are you abile to single dose with it?

Is that an important consideration for you?

Awesome, thank you. Really appreciate it. Are you abile to single dose with it?

It's not a good idea, unless you've got something like a lens good to pump the grinds through - I'm not aware of any owners having tried this.

Sorta of, yeah. Why?

A lot of money goes on the electronics and timer to deliver the same amount of coffee over and over. If you single dose that's a bit of a waste

It's not a good idea, unless you've got something like a lens good to pump the grinds through - I'm not aware of any owners having tried this.
All right, thank you for your help.

A lot of money goes on the electronics and timer to deliver the same amount of coffee over and over. If you single dose that's a bit of a waste
You're right, I was just wandering if that was going to be an option (it is, if I'm getting a Mythos). Thank you.

Do any of these timers really deliver reliably accurate doses though?

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler