Hi,

I get the feeling this is going to make me look daft!

I have just dismantled my Gaggia Classic and stripped it down. I soaked the boiler and Group Body in a solution of Sodium Hydroxide to clean it. It has come up beautiful. I also cleaned the bottom of the boiler to a nice smooth finish. I replaced the O ring and then reassembled. I took photos before I took it to pieces so I'm pretty sure all the wiring is in the right place. Happy to supply photos if anyone willing to help.

Once all back together I switched it on and instantly the power tripped as soon as i flicked the power with (the left hand rocker) the red light came on for a milisecond and then it tripped.

I am no engineer but i guess that it is the elements that are tripping as they are the first thing to power up?

Have I damaged the element/connectors using the Sodium Hydroxide? I didn't clock until too late that the elements where on the outside (don't please).

Is it a new boiler situation?

Many thanks for any expertise and/or advice.

John

Did you submerge the complete boiler in cleaner ? including the terminals ??

I think you should prepare yourself for a new boiler. The elements inside are surrounded by an insulating material similar to chalk, if you get this wet it soaks up moisture like a sponge, the moisture then short circuits the elements to the boiler body tripping the circuit breaker.

The only way you "MAY" be able to recover it is to place it in a warm oven for several hours, this may be sufficient to drive out the moisture

Before you do this remove the thermostats and any other attachments or you will destroy them.

If you do require a new boiler contact Mark== gaggiamanualserve on the forum. He will be able to help you.

Edited by El carajillo

There is a much easier way than sticking it in the oven. The only reason it trips is because there is a connection to earth.

Whip the top off and unplug the machine

If you remove the Earth connection at the rear plug and then plug the machine back in. You'll find it'll turn back on and heat up the boiler, drying out the insulation. As long as you don't put your hands in the machine or touch the sides it's perfectly safe. Just be sensible!

I had the same issue and this resolved it.

• Thanks 1

Izzo Alex Duetto | Ceado E37s | Minor obsession with home automation

How long did it take to dry out before you could reconnect the earth?

Unearthed machine scares me slightly, but I'm a chicken.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Funny.. your avatar looks more like a dog ? :)

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

Just to scare you a little more, think about this scenario.

If the house earth is faulty (so not grounded) and you have a single appliance that develops a fault that causes it to short to earth, then ALL appliance in your house suddenly become LIVE (via the earth wire).

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

Strewth! I'd never thought of that. How many earthing points would a house normally have? I was under the impression that there are several earth straps to the water pipes, and they provide the earth where they come out of the ground. Or is that earthing the water supply to one big metal spike in the ground? I don't know much about house electrics.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Well thecatlinux is probably better qualified to answer this, but my understanding is normally the earth is connected to the supply earth and only in special circumstances (off grid ?) is it via a metal spike in the ground. The use of water pipes for grounding is quite common BUT with advent of modern plastic push fit connectors it's not uncommon for these connections to be compromised.

About 15 minutes. I just stayed well away from it whilst it was on and used the wall switch to turn it off.

Reconnected the earth, tried again, all good.

The problem happens when moisture gets between the heater element and the boiler case, causing the elements to short to earth and trip. Hence disconnecting the earth stops that, the boiler heats up, dries out the moisture and all is good.

Hi All,

Thank you all very much for helpful advice. The diagnosis was spot on. I tried the un -earthing option first as it was easiest! Machine fired up and as predicted the element terminals fizzed and frothed as water was expelled. I ran some water through and leftit for ten minutes to really dry out. Switched on again this morning to make an espresso and all works perfectly.

Thank you problem soved.

John

Nice to hear it worked for you too!

Good to hear it's fixed. At least your pain has taught the rest of us what not to do and how to fix it if we do :)

Morning all.. I did as ChockyMonster and MrShades suggested and it worked a treat...

To answer your question I fired the Classic up for all of 20 seconds - long enough to hear the water start to steam and bubble. I then allowed it to cool off an re connected the earth, all was sorted and it is running as it should.....(As discussed elsewhere I am sure the thermostat will kick in to prevent overheating.)

FYI my quest for sorting my tripping issue also derived from my replacing the steam valve and whilst I was about it I too submerged my boiler in a suspension of descaler etc....

Many thanks one and all for enabling me to sort my Classic in a speedy and timely fashion and not having to "bake" it at 300 degrees in this heat and possibly incurring my wife's wrath in the process...!

After a clean of my GC it sounds like I have exactly the same problem as the OP.

I'm going to try the method described above but can someone tell me exactly what to do with the earth wire at the back? I am rubbish at DIY and frankly shouldn't be allowed near electrics so the thought of a metal box and unearthing it scares the bejesus out of me.

So the plug at the back has 3 wires and if I unplug the earth what should I do with the wire itself? Just leave it dangling in there? Wrap it up?

What about the lid? Does that go back on or do you leave that hanging off the side? And what about the earth wire attached to it? I presume since the earth from the plug is off it's not "doing" anything?

TIA

Just leave the earth dangling - as its connected to everything out metal that you can see in there!

Same goes for the lid and you can leave it off or drop it back on - earth wire can be on or hanging

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

However - Too much is never enough!

Just leave the earth dangling - as its connected to everything out metal that you can see in there!

Can you clarify this please? I don't understand what it means

Sorry - typo - everything ELSE metal...

Lots of everything: machines, grinders, roaster, beans, tampers, baskets, blah, blah

Sorry to be a pain but should the sentence read "Just leave the earth dangling - as long as it's not connected to anything else metal you can see in there!"?

Imagine for a second you're trying to explain this to your nan and you'll get some understanding on my abilities and understanding of electrics and DIY.

The earth wire is electrically connected to everything that's made of metal inside (and outside) the machine - so just disconnect the earth wire as it makes no difference what it touches inside the machine. Hope this makes sense.

Another forum thread had suggested putting hot melt glue on delicate threads, element connections

before acid baths to protect from erosion/moisture, a gun is relatively cheap £10.

Is this a good idea but how do you remove glue afterwards , or is there an alternative (almost want a

candle wax type material)

I have signed in just to thank Chockymonster and El carajillo. I have struggled with the exact same problem and browsed through a lot of internet content regarding 'gaggia classic tripping the electricity' issue. Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread. Thank you again for the spot on diagnosis and the easy solution!

Bezzera unica pid, kinu m47

Bit of an old thread but just wanted to thank Chocymonster and others for their advice to disconnect earth to dry out element after a rebuilt descaled gc boiler project. Gave it a few mins wnd watched the element sizzle as it burned off a litttl moisture (all this with mind hands safely away from the casing) After that, turned off machine reconnected earth and the machine no longer trips when turned on. I'll just add that I primed the boiler with the element terminals disconnected prior to all previous steps so not to overheat/damage dry boiler. Thanks