NickdeBug

Sage DB or Rocket R58 - the Shoot Out!

Thanks Martyn

Good to meet you guys too and look forward to catching up at Rave next month.

Hope Mark enjoys the Rocket. It is certainly a beautiful piece of kit.

I trust that you didn't get in too much trouble for being late back :)

Cheers

Nick

Good evening Nick

Loving the R58 thanks very much. Some upgrade on my 'Classic'. Hit some holiday traffic on the way home but managed to stay out of too much trouble!

Thanks for the coffee and smooth transaction.

Excellent review Nick, I have to say I still look at some of the Italian machines and think how beautiful they look. However the coffee that I am getting out of my Sage is getting better and better. I am really getting into producing lovely milk now, it really does look like wet paint and makes superb milk drinks.

how can you compare fiat 500 to a tank. Sage is just plastic, a lot of plastic, its not even in the same level with R58. I don't see any rational thinking coffee connoisseur buying sage.

:: Rocket R58 :: Mahlkonig K30 :: Mazzer SJ-E :: IMS 18g :: VST 18g :: Push Tamper :: Torr Tamper :: Motta 0.5ml :: Ohaus Navigator XT :: Loveramics ::

I don't see any rational thinking coffee connoisseur buying sage.

Thats me screwed then!

I often drink my espresso thinking ''if only this tasted less of plastic''

@garydyke1

how can you compare fiat 500 to a tank. Sage is just plastic, a lot of plastic, its not even in the same level with R58. I don't see any rational thinking coffee connoisseur buying sage.

Simple. You can park a Fiat 500 in your garage and take your kids to school in it. A Fiat 500 is a lot LOT more practical for an everyday driver than a tank, and what most people would buy.

Thats me screwed then!

I often drink my espresso thinking ''if only this tasted less of plastic''

I assume you own one. and i never said anything about taste ;)

:: Rocket R58 :: Mahlkonig K30 :: Mazzer SJ-E :: IMS 18g :: VST 18g :: Push Tamper :: Torr Tamper :: Motta 0.5ml :: Ohaus Navigator XT :: Loveramics ::

Just reminded me I need to descale my machine this weekend. I dont know where i'm going to find the whole 5-10mins its going to take . Damn the inconvenience : (

@garydyke1

Simple. You can park a Fiat 500 in your garage and take your kids to school in it. A Fiat 500 is a lot LOT more practical for an everyday driver than a tank, and what most people would buy.

no you're right, 2 different machine for 2 different markets. You can go to John Lewis and pick up a sage, can't do that with a rocket.

I assume you own one. and i never said anything about taste ;)

True connoisseurs are all about taste. ;)

@garydyke1

That's an irrational statement - it's like saying rational thinking coffee connoisseurs would only buy anything that is shiny.

Anyway there are shiny bits on the Hestpresso machine albeit not quite as shiny as the Rocket,

and if I may rationalise my purchase of the oh so embarrassing Sage it was on the basis of being feature laden and having the ability to produce exceptional espresso.

The Rocket only functionally out performs the Sage Dual Boiler when it comes to steaming milk which it is much tamer at.

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Each to their own.

I'm guessing that you haven't actually owned or tried either machine yet.

Plenty of "connoisseurs" on here making exceptional coffee on Gaggia Classics, so maybe you should reassess what the weak link might be.

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

I think another big factor is pride of ownership. Obviously this is where Italian styling & beauty wins hands down.

Expobar Leva DB PID, Eureka Olympus 75E, Mazzer Super Jolly, Rhino Hand Grinder, Torr Trapez, On Balance Scales, VonShef Stainless Steel Double Wall French Press, VST 18, 20, IMS Shower Screen, V60, D'Ancap Cups/Saucers :coffee:

I think another big factor is pride of ownership. Obviously this is where Italian styling & beauty wins hands down.

Quite agree Peter.

Hence my original analogy with owning a classic car. A joy to own, but high maintenance.

My requirements were for an efficient tool to make good coffee with minimal fuss.

Shiny Italian machines are undoubtedly gorgeous in the looks department.

Edited by NickdeBug

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

That's an irrational statement - it's like saying rational thinking coffee connoisseurs would only buy anything that is shiny.

Jeebsy is a thinking connoisseur >

Jeebsy has Orange kit >

Thinking connoisseurs only buy orange

Post hoc ergo proper hoc.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Brewtus was originally shiny underneath that Orange/Grey powder coat though!