coffeecrema1

Rancilio Silva grinder stuck

I'm a Brit new to the site in SW France. In 2003 whilst in Italy I bought a Rancilio Silva espresso with grinder attached.

All is working OK but I have not used it for a good while. Now I find the grinder is stuck on its last setting. It wont budge when I push down the black key below and try to regulate the grind by turning.

Can any kind persons give me some advice how to proceed to unstuck it. I am wondering if its rusted due to my not using the macine.

Just to introduce myself coffeewise I am a keen collector of French stovetops, salam/ selecta drips and the oddly named "vietnamese type" individual servers (probably named after French colony of Vietnam before the last war). I also have a few US Silex, Cory etc vacuum pots, a rare French ones and the usual old British & French made Conas' and Hellums. Now I'm getting into Hario V60 drips which is in some respect a continuation of the French Salams & Selectas'. I also very keen on the Italian Vesuviana/Trimel pots.

Voila that me and if there are any Brits etc keen to exchange bits in Aquitaine please contact me.

I think this must be a Rancilio Lucy. If so the grinder is basically a Rocky if I remember correctly. Perhaps Google that if someone isn't along presently with a suggestion?

I'm the one asking for a piccolo.

Sounds about right Aussie. Assuming the integral grinder is the same as the Rocky - from memory the hopper can be removed by undoing the 3 screws inside the the hopper. Once undone you can lift the hopper off which reveals the teeth for the stepped adjustment. Give it a good clean up and reassemble it and see how you get on. Pretty easy stuff - don't be afraid.

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Yeah as far as I know basically same as a rocky. If you look up how to dismantle and clean on the net, there are loads of pics and videos to help.

If everything worked previously without any indication of problems I would guess you might have got a bean stuck in around the base of the hopper between the settings indicator and the case. I had this once and the result was as you described. How it got there I don't know! But in my case it sort of got stuck just ahead of the safety screw that stops you turning the settings back too far and locking the burrs up.

Hope that helps