Mrboots2u

The Peak of grinding ( New Mahlkonig Grinder )

Dos it really matter in a home environment, fans are mostly an annoyance. Heating up the burrs, mostly impact your electrical bill.

Unless you are one of a few at CF who plan to use them in a cafe or similar place as designed, I don't see why you would really care about these things.

But yet it mostly moves the air around

It does matter whether it's true temperature control or simply a fan, a true control will allow you to set a selected temperature and have that maintained, a fan will only lower the overall temp by a few degrees.

Mostly though I'm curious how much 'newness' is in this model, to me it looks like a K30 with a different burrset / burr mount, but feel free to correct me. If it is indeed just a new burrset, why did it take so long to get this produced?

Regards,

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

I agree in theory, that precise temperature controll in a commercial setting, is a better solution, but you still need a high enough output, before temperature become an issue.

However in a home environment, your not going to have that sort of temperature fluctuation, that it'll have a impact on the consistency. My burrs never get warm enough for me to worry about it.

why on earth would anyone make major changes to the k30?. Except for the burrs, the k30 where almost perfect, the only thing needed improvements where in fact just that!

Sure it would be nice with more precise temperature adjustments in a commercial environment, but since I have no plans for opening up my own place, it will be just perfect, if it deliver as promised.

The Mythos One main advantage over a k30 in a commercial setting, is Temperature control, lower retention, and better in the cup results. But I'm not that interested in temperature controll or the extra electrical bill that goes hand in hand with that solution. For me the main advantage of the Mythos One in a home setting is the low retention due to its horizontal mounted burrs, and the improvement in the cup.

If the PEAK perform equally (or close to) the EK43, there really is not competition IMHO, I find the cup that more interesting then the Mythos One, that I'm willingly to live with whatever retention it comes with.

Edited by malling

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

Will be making every effort to get my hands on one asap!

@garydyke1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13052[/ATTACH]

Nevermind selling coffee mate, you should re-launch yourself as a forum Instagram plugin ;)

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

"Every bit that touches coffee is new"

Does look good. No clumps at all.

The Artist Formerly Known As 'jonc' | All the gear, almost no idea.

@Jeebsy - you don't sleep much then? A post 5 hrs ago and one just now?

I'm refurbing a chair and it needed another coat at 1.30am...got to be up early this morning to do the first coat of the contrasting colour and go over to the market to measure the stall for some stuff. I really know how to live large on bank holiday weekends.

I'm refurbing a chair and it needed another coat at 1.30am...got to be up early this morning to do the first coat of the contrasting colour and go over to the market to measure the stall for some stuff. I really know how to live large on bank holiday weekends.

Respect! A man of industry. (I've done very little however...)

Does look good. No clumps at all.

I would hope a grinder dialled in a 5 on a 1-10 scale wouldn't clump

Although it could be zero'd out a 5 anyway ...

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I thought you'd know better than to speculate

I thought you'd know better than to speculate

Stick the grinder at 1 ....put some Monsoon Malabar through it , see if its still not clumpy then......

Instagram - rjw_inc

Stick the grinder at 1 ....put some Monsoon Malabar through it , see if its still not clumpy then......

i prefer 16% extractions, no point in even trying this grinder, they haven't thought their target market through

i prefer 16% extractions, no point in even trying this grinder, they haven't thought their target market through

Looks great on the video, no doubt about it! The main things that the EK delivers for a home user are amazing coffee, ability to single dose and ability to very easily switch between espresso and brewed. I just hope that these are all still relevant in this grinder but I fear not. Most of their customers will be in commercial environments and I guess that they would prefer no clumps over no retention. Really looking forward to seeing how this plays out even so.

Speculation but I reckon it'll deliver ek style espresso but without the convenient switching between brewed and espresso

Speculation but I reckon it'll deliver ek style espresso but without the convenient switching between brewed and espresso

Speculation+1, it might deliver even better espresso than the EK :eek:

K30 clumps at 6. Doesnt effect the extraction tho

@garydyke1

I believe thats the plan

@garydyke1

K30 clumps at 6. Doesnt effect the extraction tho

Agree , forum wise , people dislike dosers , and have a fear of clumpyness though

Edited by Mrboots2u

Instagram - rjw_inc

OK Here we go for daft question number one........

New larger burr set and a cooling fan to stop the grinds from getting hot right? So why not use ceramic burrs which if I've read right do not get hot like the metal ones.

Ready to be called an ignorant [email protected] and leave the room immediately.

Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

OK Here we go for daft question number one........

New larger burr set and a cooling fan to stop the grinds from getting hot right? So why not use ceramic burrs which if I've read right do not get hot like the metal ones.

Ready to be called an ignorant [email protected] and leave the room immediately.

No such thing as a daft question :-) I think they determined that the cast burrs had desirable properties, so much so that they were central to concept of the new grinder.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Why would anyone put it at setting 1 ? The k30 I used to own had it sweet-spot somewhere in the middle of the adjustment range. and it never clumped at that setting or 1 nr. smaller for that matter. Yeah I know I might have been unbelievable lucky to get a clumpfree k30

Unless you want to use it for Turkish there is really no good reason to grind any coffee near the 1mark. But like any k30 the I doubt that the useful espresso setting is going to stay in the middle position. But then it is nothing a calibration can't fix

Coffee: Ek - Feldgrind- Brewista Kettle - Bonavita Scale - Hario V60 - Kalita Wave - FRVD Moka Pot - Sowden

From the Reddit:

Have you had a chance to play around with the PEAK, and how do you feel it compares or lives up to the EK43?

[–]mattpergerverified as Matt Perger[S] 1 point2 points3 points (0 children)

I've been testing a couple for a few months now. Love them. It's a richer, sweeter espresso shot than the EK. The dosing is quite accurate and the sweet spot for shot time is really wide. If your recipe is on point, a shot anywhere between 25 and 35 seconds will taste great.

I just hope it isn't mega, mega expensive...