Big Tony

Expobar Brewtus - Funny Noise?!?

My machine has now made this rather worrying noise on two occasions. Any ideas?

What's more concerning is the fact that it is only a few months old.

Tony :coffee:

Expobar Brewtus IV, Eureka Mignon and a wife who thinks I borrowed it all from Coffeechap :exit:

That does not sound good and is definitely not normal! I've never heard anything like that from my machine. It almost sounds like something internal is knocking against the sides or something. Similar to the sounds some washing machines make when things like the bearings need replacing (expensive repair!).

I'd be inclined to contact whomever you purchased it from asap if you've heard it twice now.

Hope it's nothing serious and that you get it sorted out asap.

Let us know how you get on.

AFAIK there's nothing mechanical in there that should be making that noise. Could it be the boiler isn't properly full and the water isn't covering the element ?

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

...Similar to the sounds some washing machines make when things like the bearings need replacing (expensive repair!)

When our washing machine bearings started making that noise I simply bought a "local pickup only" one on eBay for £30 and swapped the drum over :) £30 and 3hours labour and now even have plenty of spares incase anything else goes wrong.

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

You're obviously a man of many skills marcuswar!

Setting up and wiring hifi separate systems, home cinema etc no problems but getting my hands dirty taking a machine apart...not something I've ever attempted, nor likely to anytime soon.

Edited by DoubleShot

I know....worrying isn't it. I actually bought it from Andy (Coffeebean) on this forum so I'm confident that it'll get sorted out one way or the other. I can also say that the boiler was full so I've no idea why it's making this noise.....it cost me £1000 so I obviously want it sorting.

Expobar Brewtus IV, Eureka Mignon and a wife who thinks I borrowed it all from Coffeechap :exit:

You're obviously a man of many skills marcuswar!

Setting up and wiring hifi separate systems, home cinema etc no problems but getting my hands dirty taking a machine apart...not something I've ever attempted, nor likely to anytime soon.

Many skills or as my wife says "...a penny pinching miser!"

Would have thought most wives would be very grateful having a handy man as a husband?!

Well yes, but she would probably rather have just paid an extortionate repair bill and had the washing working the next day rather than having to wait 3 or 4 weeks while I sourced an appropriate machine and figured out how it came apart etc :)

I know....worrying isn't it. I actually bought it from Andy (Coffeebean) on this forum so I'm confident that it'll get sorted out one way or the other. I can also say that the boiler was full so I've no idea why it's making this noise.....it cost me £1000 so I obviously want it sorting.

Could it be air in the pipes? Our combi boiler occasionally makes noises similar to that when there is air in there?

If you start the pump and flush, does it still make the noise afterwards ?

That's really concerning. Never come across it before and we sell these machines too.

Hopefully your warranty will come good and it'll be taken care of but I'd certainly want a full inspection and repair as that doesn't sound entirely safe.

I'm no engineer but I'm going with...something isn't bolted down tight as it should be or is vibrating/knocking against something internally.

I'm no engineer but I'm going with...something isn't bolted down tight as it should be or is vibrating/knocking against something internally.

But what ? As far as I know the only moving part is the pump and that isn't running.

It worries me but I've only heard it twice.....but that's twice too many!¬!

Did you hear the sound immediately after switching on machine or during the middle of using it?

It would worry me as well. How did it sop making the noise last time ? I mean did you pull a shot and then it was fine or just walk away and leave it ?

It sounds almost like a partially filled boiler = element exposed or heavily scaled up element as the M/ch is warming up.

Time to test andys's warranty program

AKA Toffee chips

Ohh I guessed the same as Frank, that makes me almost feel like an expert :)

Ohh I guessed the same as Frank, that makes me almost feel like an expert :)

You are exceedingly knowledgeable

You're too kind Frank; Knowledge is power but a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

It happened on warm up. That's why the video shows the PID...which I think is around 30 degrees C. It just stopped rattling after a couple of minutes and I can assure you that it is not scaled one bit. It is only 3 months old and only ever been filled with filter water.

Tony. Have you tried turning on the hot tap and steam tap to empty some water out of the boiler(s) and forcing them to refill ?

I use the steam tap everyday and the hot tap on occasion to top up my drink....is it worth doing anything different?

If you are steaming several times every day it would probably be beneficial to draw some water off a little more frequently.