Mrboots2u

Beginners Reading - Weighing Espresso - Brew Ratios

Could/Should this be made a sticky in the New Members Section as I for one am continually pointing folk to this as its one of the most important/influential reads on the forum for someone just starting out on this road of trial and tribulations. Makes sense to me but then again???

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

10 hours ago, MinesAbeer said:

Could/Should this be made a sticky in the New Members Section as I for one am continually pointing folk to this as its one of the most important/influential reads on the forum for someone just starting out on this road of trial and tribulations. Makes sense to me but then again???

I think that's an excellent idea. 

Rocket Giotto Type V - Niche Zero - Acaia Lunar - IMS Shower Screen - VST baskets - Pullman Big Step - Espazzola - Fiesta cups

8 hours ago, MWJB said:

You won't fix the time, it will always vary a little. This doesn't really matter if we are talking about a couple of seconds longer, or shorter than the average for a given coffee, dose & output. If the grind is set for a good extraction, then that's what you will get. Some coffees at the same dose, grind & ratio, will extract similarly at fairly different times.

It's unlikely that your 18:36g will be over-extracted unless you are using abnormally soluble, or dried out old coffee. By going to 1:1.5 you are more likely to under-extract.

If your 18:36 is actually over-extracted, then, sure coarsening the grind will drop extraction. The shot time will maybe reduce, but you are after the flavour after all, not taking part in a time trial.

A good extraction at 1:1.5 will be a third more concentrated than a 1:2 shot of the same extraction (if you did somehow achieve the same extraction), so you're not really fixing your 1:2 shot, you're making a much stronger, intense shot  - which you may like, but if you are regularly hitting high extractions at 1:1.5, you should probably be teaching Barista Hustle how to pull shots, rather than the other way around 🙂

Edited by Michael87

What’s people’s top 3 weighing scales makes/models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really only two for me:

An eBay special jewellery scale: for around £5. You just can not argue with the price. If they break, get a new one.

Acaia Lunar: scandalously expensive but it’s the endgame espresso scale. Super fast, easy to calibrate, rechargeable, and fits on my machine neatly. It also has all sorts of functions via the app but I use none.

• Like 1

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Really only two for me:

An eBay special jewellery scale: for around £5. You just can not argue with the price. If they break, get a new one.

Acaia Lunar: scandalously expensive but it’s the endgame espresso scale. Super fast, easy to calibrate, rechargeable, and fits on my machine neatly. It also has all sorts of functions via the app but I use none.

That sums it up quite nicely.
Either get a cheap set you can replace easily if/when they break (been using a this set since mid 2017 & drenched them several times) or a hyper expensive set like the Luna. There's no real middle ground worth considering.
  • Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Really only two for me:

Thanks!! I’ll give the eBay one a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Thanks!! I’ll give the eBay one a shot

That’s where we all start. Sound decision.

What you’re paying for with the Luna is speed. The eBay scales will always add a gram or two after you cut the shot. The Luna reading is near instantaneous. But the price of this speed is

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler