twotone

Coffee Compass - Brighton Lanes Blend - and other beans

PM sent :)

Thanks Marcus, saved the postage (nearly) with that code, just ordered 1kg of Gusto Gold Blend, 500g of mystery coffee mark 2 & the hill and valley blend.

Tony

Looking forward to hearing about your comments on Hill & Valley Tony as that is on my growing list of beans I would like to try. All of the beans you've tried and enjoyed from Coffee Compass are on my list!

I knew exactly what you meant and said as much to Richard via email. Not that £3.90 was expensive for next (trackable) day shipping but rather a slightly slower shipping option, seen as the beans will be usually be sat in a cupboard resting for a few days if being used for espresso (for brewed they can usually be used upon delivery. But as Richard mentioned with his follow up reply, using only a trackable shipping option works out great for both them plus the customer. Win/win.

Could it be certificate of posting only applies if taking packages to the post office, whereas a Parcel Force courier collects direct from Coffee Compass and different rules may apply? Even though Royal Mail seem to operate Parcel Force (do they own them also?), they seem to have a separate presence on the web also for which different terms and conditions 'may' apply with regards to compensation of lost parcels etc?

BTW, regarding coffee going missing, I had to go and collect my delivery from the post office and the first thing the woman behind the counter said to me was 'that smells really nice, is it food?.

Told her it was fresh coffee beans and she was really impressed so no doubt that's how they (CC and other roasters) lose packages.

Tony:coffee:

Told her it was fresh coffee beans and she was really impressed so no doubt that's how they (CC and other roasters) lose packages.

I remember taking in my first delivery from stewartscoffees, whilst signing for it on the doorstep, got a wonderful waft of fresh coffee beans, even through the sealed jiffy envelope. Kinda hard for coffee roasters to disguise the wonderful fragrance unless they use boxes I guess which would push up shipping costs and obviously won't fit through letterboxes!

Makes you wonder how cocaine smugglers ever got the packages :)

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

Looking forward to hearing about your comments on Hill & Valley Tony as that is on my growing list of beans I would like to try. All of the beans you've tried and enjoyed from Coffee Compass are on my list!

Was a bit 'scared' to order it cause of that mad review:p

The Gusto Gold Blend is a stand out for me, surprising cause I didn't think I would be into a 'bright' coffee, marvellous in milk.

Makes you wonder how cocaine smugglers ever got the packages :)

Might sound like an old fogey here but wasn't aware that there was a 'distinctive' smell from cocaine, I'm presuming it smells of coffee Marcus?

Service from Coffee Compass is first class. Next to my homeboys at ManCoCo (that's right I'm home with the downies; or maybe its a caffeine high) they have the best service. I've no quibble with their postage charges as I have coffee in my greedy mitts about 24 hours after placing an order online. I do wish they could package to come through the mail slot like some other roasters but its not a huge gripe, just a suggestion.

How are people finding this lot of Mystery beans? I have a bag on deck when I finish up my Brighton Lanes beans. Are the Mystery beans working as espresso? In milk? Please don't tell me they are only brew otherwise I'm out of espresso beans.

Recipes for Mystery beans happily accepted.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Just about to place an order myself any chance of the discount code ? It would be very welcome

Regards

Steve

ECM Heidelberg Barista,Eureka Zenith 65E ,Motta Tamper and Jugs :angel:

Just about to place an order myself any chance of the discount code ? It would be very welcome

Regards

Steve

PM sent

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

The Mystery Blend works just fine in milk. Espresso too but I don't usually drink espresso so YMMV.

The verdict from my two critical customers (Mrs Rob and son) is positive. They are not sure if they prefer Indian Bibi Plantation. Java Jampit SO or the mystery blend. For my money it's a toss up between the Bibi and the Java but the Mystery makes a great coffee at an unbeatable price.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

After reading about all the good coffees from Coffee Compass I received my order of Jampit Hit and Mystery today. I love dark roasts. Can't wait to try them!

Hill and Valley despite Spazbarista's, to some, scary review ;), really is the badgers nadgers! Dark yes, slightly smokey, yes but also caramel and chocolate. Nom in fact.

Don't be frightened, is absolutely cracking in milk.

John

Edited by johnealey
adding a smiley so as not to appear fwightened...

Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 105Kg of greens - Tonino

Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack, Pullman 51.4 - Acaia x2

Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3

Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex

Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III

and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..

I've just started using the last of my beans (Sweet Bourbon espresso blend) from my last order which was about 25th March, the beans were roasted on the day of the order which was the 24th, been a wee bit of a faff trying to dial them in but still no sink shots or poor shots, my grinder only needs moved a mm the wrong way and the extraction can be well out, anyway I've had these beans before and thought that they were good but nothing really outstanding about them but this lot are just fantastic.

I'm still using 17g>32g at around 35 seconds and making cappas with them but they are really sweet tasting in milk and as an espresso they're much the same, absolutely no sugar needed with them although I make my wife an Americano with a dash of cold milk and half a teaspoon of sugar and she loves them, this morning I made her an Americano but pulled the shot onto hot water in the cup (thanks for the tip guys) and the coffee looked really nice.

Great morning coffee these beans, I really like them but they obviously need a long-ish resting time.

Think I'll try to rest the new beans, which should come tomorrow maybe, for a bit longer before using them but we (me and my son) are going through a 500g bag of beans in less than a week now but with my wife drinking some now that will likely be down to about four days.

Tony

twotone

What length of rest periods have you found hit the sweet spot with each of the Coffee Compass beans you've tried thus far?

twotone

What length of rest periods have you found hit the sweet spot with each of the Coffee Compass beans you've tried thus far?

I usually start using the beans from about four or five days after delivery, the last lot of three bags contained a bag of beans which were roasted on the 20th March which I started using first so probably round about the 30th March then the next lot which was roasted on the 24th and so probably started using them about the 6th April and now this last lot I started using yesterday and they were roasted on the 24th March too.

Just ordered brighton lane and jampit based on your positive review Twotone...will let you know how I get on.

What's the point...it'll only change soon!

Just ordered brighton lane and jampit based on your positive review Twotone.

Ditto. Did the very same last Thursday.

I'm only a few months into my home espresso journey, but having tried a selection of roasters (wilth very mixed results) I must say that the four different beans I've had from CC have been the best coffees I've had so far. I feel that I should be trying a variety of roasters, but I keep getiing dawn back to explore more of CC coffees. My favourites so far (in order of preference) 1st: Sweet Bourbon Joint 2nd: Brighton Lanes & Colombia Medellin Excelso 4th: Mahogony Roast Jampit Hit.

I'm about to order another couple of bags, I'm thinking the Espresso Gusto Gold & maybe giving the mystery coffee a go after reading the good reports here.

If there's a forum discount code available, I'd very much appreciate it :good:

Gaggia Classic & Silvia Steam Wand - Ascaso i1 Grinder - VST basket - Various French Presses - Moka Pot

If there's a forum discount code available, I'd very much appreciate it :good:

Sent via PM.

Tried some Sumatra Wahanna Natural process this morning which was interesting. As in I have no idea how to describe how it tasted. As an espresso it was quite bright/tangy to my palate. Added a dollop of milk foam (cortado) and it went down much easier. As a flat white rather nice. Helped by the sweetness of steamed milk. Very different from most of what I've tried lately.

Sent via PM.

That's great - Many thanks

Gaggia Classic & Silvia Steam Wand - Ascaso i1 Grinder - VST basket - Various French Presses - Moka Pot

Tried some Sumatra Wahanna Natural process this morning which was interesting. As in I have no idea how to describe how it tasted. As an espresso it was quite bright/tangy to my palate.

I think this coffee is actually 'washed' rather than 'natural'. The washing process tends to bring out acidity and clarity in the cup. Very 'third wave'.

By comparison 'natural' removal of the cherry (drying and peeling by hand or machine) tends to emphasise body and arguably sweetness but some will say introduces extraneous flavours.

It may not be an easy match to espresso. Perhaps try drip. Richard reckons peach and mango.

Edited by Obnic

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

twotone

You started on either of the Mystery Blend or Hill & Valley Blend or still in the 'resting' period?

twotone

You started on either of the Mystery Blend or Hill & Valley Blend or still in the 'resting' period?

No, still on the Sweet Bourbon (about half a bag left), my son's away for a few days so I'm only drinking coffee myself.

Pretty bland these beans I have to say, don't know whether it's an age thing or not, they were roasted on the 24th March, but they really are nothing special.

Tried them with every conceivable recipe but they just taste the same although in saying that my wife likes them as an Americano with a dash of milk and sugar.