IGNORED

Dog lovers

Spooks

@MildredM we seem to be posting at the same time :)

Haha! Yes! Good point about asking once and not keep on shouting thus reinforcing NOT to come! If I’m out and about where there are no dogs, in a safe area, and I call Come and she appears deaf then I keep walking, in fact I run and leave her. That sharpens things up!

Good point about the male voice too - my call of 'come' is pretty high pitched!!!!!

I remember doing a lot of recall training when she was hungry. She would do anything for a treat just about! Even at teatime I could practice the recall by sneaking out the kitchen (or whoever) to the utility room to get her tea ready then calling Come for that - a very big treat!

Thanks all! Just returned from the local park and she was much better. Not too many distractions this time though. @Nicknak reminded me that she is very reactive (in a positive way) to a gravel bottle shaker so next thing we will try is a shaker with high-value treats. @MildredM I have been trying a much lower pitch and a different word for recall. I.e. "Here" instead of "come" and that seems to have improved things a bit. Will also do more work in the garden and try not to keep calling if she goes AWOL.

I'm sure you're right, patience and persistence will ultimately win out.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Yes, thank you. I'm also finding the last few posts an interesting read. My daughters Cockapoo also suffers from selective hearing etc. I will endeavour to put all these great tips to good use.

Alfie and I are best buddies and whenever I leave their house I always wave and say 'Bye Bye', which is for me, relatively, a higher pitch phrase. If out walking him with him and he is overly distracted by another dog and ignoring granddaughter's repeated 'Alfie Come!' commands, I just keep walking, turn back, wave and say ' Bye Bye', and he tends to come scampering back.

Yes, thank you. I'm also finding the last few posts an interesting read. My daughters Cockapoo also suffers from selective hearing etc. I will endeavour to put all these great tips to good use.

Alfie and I are best buddies and whenever I leave their house I always wave and say 'Bye Bye', which is for me, relatively, a higher pitch phrase. If out walking him with him and he is overly distracted by another dog and ignoring granddaughter's repeated 'Alfie Come!' commands, I just keep walking, turn back, wave and say ' Bye Bye', and he tends to come scampering back.

Sounds like he’s doing well training YOU!!!

@Robb666

Good luck and keep perservering . Everything Mildred says is spot on as well .

I have been training Gundogs for 20 plus years for myself as a hobby and helping others . every dog is different and what works for one not always for another .. I learn something different everyday ..

The recall in my mind is the most important by far and everything else is icing on the cake .

The main thing is you to be the centre of your dogs life and not the other way around .

Any problems please ask .. Much prefer talking about dogs :)

@Robb666

Good luck and keep perservering . Everything Mildred says is spot on as well .

I have been training Gundogs for 20 plus years for myself as a hobby and helping others . every dog is different and what works for one not always for another .. I learn something different everyday ..

The recall in my mind is the most important by far and everything else is icing on the cake .

The main thing is you to be the centre of your dogs life and not the other way around .

Yes, that last line especially is SO true!

Any problems please ask .. Much prefer talking about dogs :)

Ps to above , low growl voice for discipline .. higher pitch for recall normally works better ..

Thats why a lot of dogs respond to the ladies better

If I need to show disapproval I use a very low, quiet voice resulting in flattened ears and a totally dejected 'look'!

I also think it’s important to smile and say 'good' in a happy voice (or whatever word you choose) when they are being good anyway. Dogs love to please their leader!

I would slightly disagree with the above, although I accept the spirit of the advice.

The most important command is unquestionably "STOP/SIT". (think dog in danger)

The recall command then comes rather more easily as the dog has already been brought under control.

I aim to have a dog stopping (and staying ) at a distance of at least 400yds, (and with me walking away) by, say, 12/16 weeks old. But as is pointed out earlier, some are quicker on the uptake. This command can be helped greatly at meal times. Especially with a pup that has several meals a day. Every meal is a training opportunity!

Make the dog sit with the food in front of it, increasing the time and distance you are from the dog before giving permission to eat, even to the point where you can leave the room. Do not rush this, slowly increase time and distance over a few weeks. If the dog thinks of moving, a quiet 'No' and you go closer...nothing aggressive, just a reminder that you are there, and you are head of the pack. This will help with overall obedience at STOP/SIT/HEEL etc.

I would also recommend using multiple commands for STOP/SIT and recall. ie STOP! is a single blast on the whistle accompanied by the same arm being raised and voice reinforcement as soon as you have spat out the whistle. The recall commands can be 'Heel' and the same leg being patted. Then vary the command used as singles ie just the whistle or just the arm. It trains the dog to focus on you with eyes and ears, as you are head of the pack.

I think it may have been mentioned by others earlier, but an aid to the recall command is to run away from the sat dog when you start to call. It's also the way to teach the dog to change direction.

And a 'big fuss and praise' is often better than a tidbit.

And before The CFUK Keyboard Warrior jumps on my case, this proves I can cut the mustard. It also leads to the videos I made as a diary, of my young Gordon Setter's training. Not perfect, but we got there----with help!

I totally agree re Stay being important, @Batian - I use 'wait' as my signal word and a hand up at waist height, palm out, and it has been invaluable. It's a command that I totally forget about now, I use it so often but very quietly, from going through a door, to waiting before she can get out the car, to waiting for 10 minutes or more where I have left her. I expect we got onto the recall thing because of the query from Rob666.

In my experience some dogs are ok being fussed, ours wasn't so it's a tasty morsel all the way. Not every time for everything I would add. As with a lot of discussions the typed word doesn't always convey everything . . .

Edited by MildredM

The question was about a dodgy recall by Robb..

i train my dogs for a specific task and the enjoyment of it.

Each dog breed responds differently as do each different dog ..

Two gamekeepers dogs I am training have totally different temperaments . Need different training ..

I expect a near instant turn around at any distance what ever the dog is doing to a whistle

Six to eight dogs returning at once is quite a sight.

I use a stop whistle to stop the dog at most distances and then direct it back left or right to call it in a bit .

Most owners just need sit stay and a definite comeback .

With my dogs sit is sit until I tell it to do something .

Thanks again all! Marnie has sit and stay very well but not at a distance. She also has down, roll over and various minor tricks off pat. She will do an out of sight stay for at least two minutes without problems.

She has been out on a beaters day shoot and behaved very well (on lead) not phased by the guns at all and got on well with the proper gundogs.

She's a rescue and we adopted her at 14 months. She had obviously had a fair bit of training but we had no idea what commands etc. were used by the previous owners.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Thanks again all! Marnie has sit and stay very well but not at a distance. She also has down, roll over and various minor tricks off pat. She will do an out of sight stay for at least two minutes without problems.

She has been out on a beaters day shoot and behaved very well (on lead) not phased by the guns at all and got on well with the proper gundogs.

She's a rescue and we adopted her at 14 months. She had obviously had a fair bit of training but we had no idea what commands etc. were used by the previous owners.

She sounds absolutely delightful! It sounds like you’ve done really well with her, what with not having her from a pup.

She’s landed well and truly on her paws finding you :)