jakebyrne

Sage Duo Temp Pro?

By the way, I use Ashbeck bottled water because scale killed my last coffee machine. Consequently, I don't think it's necessary to use the filter system that came with it. Suits me to not have to buy filters from sage from now on.

@Fevmeister here you go so you can hear / see the timing for steaming. Was the only angle I could get!

hope that works..

shot wasn't the best a bit of a gusher.. But gives you an idea!

Took me a while to figure out the embed malarkey from the phone!

Edited by djedga

Graef CM 95 - Lelit Mara PL62 (RIP Sage DTP)

Just had this delivered from Lakeland. So about the plastic insert in the portafilter.... leave in or take out?

Also was bit concerned by the "thumping sound!" when steaming milk, but having watched some youtube videos, seems that's normal.

Edited by joffy

I wondered the same, so I left mine IN. I can see no instructions or video about taking it out, I suppose it acts as a funnel.

The thumping noise is the norm, it's the pump.

Are we talking about the large black moulded plastic that completely fills the portafilter?

I presumed it was an integral part of it. Does it come out? Mine seems pretty tightly attached...

That's the one. It's only purpose is to evenly distribute coffee between the spouts. If you unscrew the spout from the bottom. You should be able to unclip the black part from the bottom.

I took it out due to the fact that plastic doesn't retain heat as well as the steel. Therefore, it would cool the espresso upon contact.

I'm really liking this machine. Had the Gaggia Classic before this and was too much hassle for me. Just wanted quick, consistant coffee.

I would say its as much hassle as a classic. For a classic you needed to temp surf, but you leave on for 20mins and let pf heat up etc. For the duo temp you have to heat the portafilter in a cup of hot water for a while, due to the group head not heating up as much as a classic. Plus a few niggles with steaming on the duo temp such as having to purge quickly before auto flush kicks in for the next shot. Small niggles but has its own little routine to work around. So they kind of even themselves out as far as hassle goes... Does the duo temp make better coffee, and milk?? Hell yeah it does, no question

Twitter @Burnzy378

Instagram roast_2_roast

Thanks for feedback @Burnzy.

I was thinking... With all that purging after each pull/steam, you must need to refill the tank a lot more often, don't you? Haven't owned a machine at home and not sure whether to use bottled water or trust Glaswegian water (quite soft) and the filter in the tank.

Thanks for feedback @Burnzy.

I was thinking... With all that purging after each pull/steam, you must need to refill the tank a lot more often, don't you? Haven't owned a machine at home and not sure whether to use bottled water or trust Glaswegian water (quite soft) and the filter in the tank.

no, it doesnt use alot, basically after you steam milk, you turn off your steam wipe wand and re-open steam to shoot out any milk that may of got sucked up. Its standard procedure. Unfortunatly on a duo temp, they use an auto flush when you shut off the steam after 8 seconds, but seems much quicker. So you have to wipe after the purge on it. Was thinking of doing a youtube video on making a latte on this machine as it requires a slightly different procedure to a classic and theres not alot out there.

I would use ashbeck from tescos, £1.10 for 6 litres. :)

Twitter @Burnzy378

Instagram roast_2_roast

no, it doesnt use alot, basically after you steam milk, you turn off your steam wipe wand and re-open steam to shoot out any milk that may of got sucked up. Its standard procedure. Unfortunatly on a duo temp, they use an auto flush when you shut off the steam after 8 seconds, but seems much quicker. So you have to wipe after the purge on it. Was thinking of doing a youtube video on making a latte on this machine as it requires a slightly different procedure to a classic and theres not alot out there.

I would use ashbeck from tescos, £1.10 for 6 litres. :)

A video would be a great help Burnzy.

Soaking your portafilter in a glass of hot water sounds like a royal PITA. Why not just run it under hot water from the group head like the instructions suggest? I do this and it works for me to warm up both.

Soaking your portafilter in a glass of hot water sounds like a royal PITA. Why not just run it under hot water from the group head like the instructions suggest? I do this and it works for me to warm up both.

In my opinion doing that does not get it hot enough, unless you run it for 3-4 mins... This way my cup and portafilter are nice and hot by the time i have weighed up and prepped everything else.

Twitter @Burnzy378

Instagram roast_2_roast

Do people using a DTP with only bottled water still use the filter? It seems redundant to use it when you're not using tap water, and might filter out some of the minerals we want...

Brazen | V60 | EK43LE

Currently drinking: The Barn LSOL

Do people using a DTP with only bottled water still use the filter? It seems redundant to use it when you're not using tap water, and might filter out some of the minerals we want...
I use bottled water and don't use the filter. Can't see the point. Works fine for me so far.

Does the DTP work without any filters fitted?

Yes, the filter is a little carbon-filled 'tea bag' and it is fitted directly into the filter assembly, which is inserted into place in the machine's water container. Not fitting it will have no impact whatsoever except that it helps reduce calcium deposits in your boiler and removes chlorine from already soft tap water.

The filter assembly and 'tea bags' are shown here, top left:

BES980XL_Accessories.jpg

Currently drinking: Casa Espresso Charlestown v2 Espresso Roast. Marvelous!

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

Ahhh fantastic thank you. I've just ordered he DTP from Amazon and it's my first espresso machine. Really excited!

I've seen you mentioning about Amazon student discount, fancy to share what's that? I guess it's not an Amazon Prime trial which I had few years back.

As I got a grad job sorted, I might be able to grab something as a student :).

If you have an NUS card, you can sign up and get 5% off amazon plus 6 months free Prime, then half price prime thereafter. I'm doing my post-grad too, so it's worked out quite well. I got the DTP for £299 with prime.

I tried to get Lakeland to pricematch, but they couldn't, although Amazon customer service is pretty decent anyway.

Ahhh fantastic thank you. I've just ordered he DTP from Amazon and it's my first espresso machine. Really excited!

Sounds great...there are lots of Sage resources out there to give you some idea on how to get the best from it. Not sure if you are aware but the Sage brand in the US, Canada, Australia and NZ is 'Breville'. If you haven't already done so have a look on YouTube for the Duo Temp Pro, Dual Boiler and Oracle as there are great reviews and tips out there from Breville-based Sites too, such as:

Seattle Coffee Gear: http://www.youtube.com/user/SeattleCoffeeGear

Whole Latte Love: https://www.youtube.com/user/wholelattelovetv

Sage UK: http://www.sageappliances.co.uk/tea-coffee-toast/espressoandgrinders.html

Breville Food Thinkers:

And you know this anyway but just search on YouTube for Duo Temp Pro: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=duo+temp+pro

But after all that, I think the Breville video entitled 'Learn the Correct Grinding, Dosing, Extraction and Tamping Techniques' proved a useful introduction.

One last thought - everyone recommends getting a 'Naked Portafilter' to help beginners perfect their shots (along with a stopwatch and set of digital coffee scales). The one sold on the Sage Website is only compatible with the Dual Boiler and Oracle however some of the other DTP users on here may be able to help (@djedga)?

Hope this helps.

Currently drinking: Casa Espresso Charlestown v2 Espresso Roast. Marvelous!

Sage Dual Boiler | Smart Grinder Pro | 58mm Naked Portafilter | VST 18g Ridged | Bialetti French Press | Bialetti Moka Stovetops | CuisineArt DGB-600 Grind and Brew Thermal!

Thank you AMCD, really appreciated that post!

I've been youtubing, googling etc the hell out of espresso machines, and I was pretty close in getting a 2nd hand Silvia with PID; but the sage just made more sense to me. I'll be looking to get a grinder soon, in the mean time I'm looking to get a "starter" pack from a reputable source (i.e. Has Bean et al) and take it from there.

One last thought - everyone recommends getting a 'Naked Portafilter' to help beginners perfect their shots (along with a stopwatch and set of digital coffee scales). The one sold on the Sage Website is only compatible with the Dual Boiler and Oracle however some of the other DTP users on here may be able to help (@djedga)?

AFAIK (from a quick glimpse some weeks ago) Coffee Hit might be able to cut the original portafilter for you, but Sage/Breville does not provide one. I couldn't find any other (third party) source that would sell a 54mm naked portafilter.

The same portafilter is used in Barista Express and few other models. There are few DIY (i.e. cut) bottomless portafilters. Might be worth looking further than first 5 Google results...