jakebyrne

Sage Duo Temp Pro?

Hi, I'm new here. I've been reading up quite a lot on these forums and have noticed that the Duo Temp has been compared to the Classic, but there doesn't seem to be any solid reviews?

Does anyone have one?

I was looking into the Barista Express, but the mixed reviews have put me off the trail, along with the reports of the proximity of the heating elements decreasing the lifetime of the beans.

Barista Express, or Duo Temp with grinder?

I don't really know anything about these machines, but unless there are good reasons not to, I would expect most folks here would advise a dedicated standalone grinder. It will have a bigger impact on the taste of your coffee than the choice of machine, and it's something that you'll possibly want/need to upgrade in the future.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

It is a bit like asking someone interested in making authentic Chinese food, if they would prefer to use a plain steel Wok seasoned by the fat and juices of what they cook, or a non stick coated electric wok which is really convenient.

I will answer your pm a bit later as am away out now!

Duo Temp would probably be the better bet of the two as long you pair it with a decent grinder but it is a bit of an unknown quantity

I'm reluctant to pay out before there are some solid reviews on the table but being that the machines are so new to the UK, it may be some time.

The integral PID, auto purge etc, are all great plus points for me. But for the money, it seems like the Silvia may be a better bet. They don't come without their weaknesses either though. The £350-400 mark is a tough call.

Do Lakeland stock these yet?

Keep the receipt and you've got essentially no risk then. It breaks, get a refund. Don't like it, get a refund

Theoretically then, what grinder would be best to pair with it in the £200-250 mark. Again, the functionality of the new Smart Grinder appeals, but longevity and consistency seems to be an issue. The other options seem to be the Rocky, Grinta, or used.

Will you be single dosing? Is size an issue? Are aesthetics important?

Aesthetics are a factor for sure. Double shots, 1 coffee at a time, 2-3 times a day maximum.

Its not going to get abused, and certainly not over worked.

Cleaning and lack of waste is also a huge factor for me. I'm quite picky about cleaning and ease of maintenance etc.

There's a couple of threads where people have found good deals for them. Elektros.it if you don't mind ordering from abroad, or one that's titled ebay mignons or something

Thanks for the advice, Jeebsy.

I'm looking for something to keep me going for a fair while and the Eureka seems to fit the bill.

The Duo Temp though, I think I'll wait and see how people are getting on.

Unfortunately, due to being new, I can't access that thread! 17 more posts to go.

£235 brand new macap mxa, just to whet your appetite.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11995&d=1424342876

dfk41 reviewed one a few months ago on here see 'New Sage little machine'

The thing with that machine is that everything is proprietary - including the baskets and tamper (you might be able to you La Spaziale stuff but no one here has confirmed that), there also isn't a naked portafilter available if you wanted to tinker with one.

Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you drink, the more you... *tremors uncontrollably* 😬 

Ok Lakeland are doing it for £297.49 and I have spoken to them and their lifetime warranty stands good.

For over three weeks now my Gaggia has been kaput and even with the help of a forum member and spending about £70 on it I can't get it to work even though everything I've done says it should.

Like my first ever car I have a nostalgic attachment to my Gaggia. Also like my first car when I splashed out on a Smith's heated rear windscreen, seat covers and fluffy dice, I have spent a few bob on my Gaggia extras such as better thermocouple, IMS screen and basket, brass dispersion plate, naked portafilter and even done the OPV setting. It even came with a PID and Silvia wand fitted, but my frustration is getting the better of me and seeing the Sage at that price from Lakeland may well push me over the edge.

Gaggia Classic w/silvia wand and PID, Brasilia RR55OD, Motta 58mm tamper, Motta Stainless Steel knock box, Motta Stainless Steel 350 & 500ml Milk Frothing Jugs, Brewista scales, Tiamo tamping station, Notneutral cups & mugs. Technovorm Mochamaster, Clever Dripper, Aeropress....Lots of determination.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and got one from Lakeland. So far so (very) good.

Quick question. What is the plastic insert in the portafilter actually for? Having tried pulling shots both with and without it in place, I'm not sure I see much - if any - of a difference. All it seems to do is pad out the space under the basket for reasons known only to Sage.

I leave it in just because it's there, but getting it out to clean properly is a pain.

I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and got one from Lakeland. So far so (very) good.

Quick question. What is the plastic insert in the portafilter actually for? Having tried pulling shots both with and without it in place, I'm not sure I see much - if any - of a difference. All it seems to do is pad out the space under the basket for reasons known only to Sage.

I leave it in just because it's there, but getting it out to clean properly is a pain.

I'd suggest not having anything but metal, ceramic and water touch the coffee at any point.

While there's no danger of anything- why let the coffee touch anything except what it needs to touch?

I tend to agree, but I figure there must be a reason. It looks like it might be to direct the flow equally to both spouts, but if more of the shot is hitting one side than the other anyway, it's still going to be unbalanced.

I figure my tamping skills are probably good enough to get it pretty even on the vast majority of shots, so I think I'll probably take the insert out and stick it in the tray.

Sorry about the delay, I didn't get notification of the reply despite being subscribed

As per my Intro post, after around 15 years great service, my Gaggia Coffee has packed up. I think it's a solenoid issue, but have decided to got for a new machine.

After researching the Gaggia Classic (my obvious first choice) and the Rancilio Silvia - an been put off by reviews of both the latest versions, I decide on the Sage Duo Temp Pro. As above - just ordered from Lakeland, and can pick up from my local store on Monday. The warranty was a clincher, really - its like a try-before-you-buy...

I also looked at the Sage Barista Express, but am more than happy with my Dualit Grinder, so the extra £200 over the Duo will buy a LOT of beans :)