NickdeBug

Group buy - Borosilicate Glass tube Hopper

This is to gauge interest for the following.

one of the downsides of an on demand grinder is the whacking great big hopper that sits on top. Especially in the more commercial models designed to handle high workflow on a daily basis.

These big hoppers make them less than friendly to many kitchens/spouses and have the added problem of the "weight of beans" question for consistent grinding. How many beans do you need to keep in the hopper and how long before they go stale?

thankfully, some enterprising members have solved this problem by using a glass tube, made from borosilicate glass (the same stuff that lab glassware is made from). These can hold 100g or so of beans and can be combined with a weight on top to help with consistency.

Having looked into this for myself I have found that there are very clear economies of scale. Ordering one bespoke tube is likely to cost about £70. Ordering half a dozen or so brings that cost down to between £9 and £14 (+ delivery) depending on the diameter that you need.

if anyone is interested, please sign up below with the max outside diameter of the required tube (ie the diameter of the grinder hopper collar) as well as the height that they would require.

To to give you a rough idea, if your grinder has a 58mm diameter then a 15cm high tube would give you a similar volume to the average coffee mug when filled (approx 120g of beans), so a 20cm tube would allow you to add a tamper or similar as a weight.

If any members have a photo of their tube then it would be great if they could post as an example.

Happy to handle re-packaging and onward shipping. I'm guessing this would be about £3-4 each.

When I have final numbers I can get a quote and come back to those interested for confirmation.

cheers

Nick

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

A remember a Nino having one of these but not sure who's got that now

Definitely sounds interesting.

Got a mignon and only ever single dose up to 20g. Not sure what that would mean I'd need dimensions wise.

Quickmill Andreja Premium---Eric's E61 Thermometer---Eureka Mignon---MBK 58.35mm---Grindenstein

Definitely sounds interesting.

Got a mignon and only ever single dose up to 20g. Not sure what that would mean I'd need dimensions wise.

Remove the hopper and take a measurement across the opening, if my memory serves me I think 38mm could be right. The Mignon is not a good candidate as it has a small piece stuck out where the locking screw goes making it not a perfect circle.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

A remember a Nino having one of these but not sure who's got that now

that would be me and if you want a solution for accurate dose on dose on demand grinding then the tube with a cylinder weight is spot on

AKA Toffee chips

Sounds interesting, i am presuming you would need to order all the same size for a discount?

I have an M5D and it would appear to have 59mm (diameter) hopper hole.

If that is a doable size then I would be interested.

that would be me and if you want a solution for accurate dose on dose on demand grinding then the tube with a cylinder weight is spot on

Just out of curiosity, how do you stop the weight landing on the grind spindle which protrudes above the burrs.

Ian

Where did you weight come Dave?

Just out of curiosity, how do you stop the weight landing on the grind spindle which protrudes above the burrs.

Ian

most grinders have a tapered entrance to the burr chamber and thus the weight stops before hand. This is not for single dosing but to replicate weight of beans, i don't let the beans run out

AKA Toffee chips

most grinders have a tapered entrance to the burr chamber and thus the weight stops before hand. This is not for single dosing but to replicate weight of beans, i don't let the beans run out

Ok I can understand not letting the beans run out, but isn't this glass a cylinder without any taper.

Ian

but there is still a taper at the bottom of the chute or else the glass would go into the burrs, as would a hopper

AKA Toffee chips

Certainly up for that - just need to check the Royal's throat diameter.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I think that the bulk of the savings come from the purchase of three or more, and getting the overall order over £150, so ordering several different diameters shouldn't be a problem.

Borrowed these photos from HB site ©Mayhem. Gives you an idea of what I mean. Potentially a bit taller to allow for greater weight.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12084[/ATTACH]

I could be interested in one of these if it will fit my Ceado E37? I don't leave many beans in my hopper and they would probably benefit from a bit more weight on them.

You will need a 58mm one

AKA Toffee chips

Okay - looks like there are a few people interested, so happy to move this forward to an order phase.

If you would like to go ahead then please add name and required diameter/length below. As I mentioned before, this is not commiting you to anything but will enable me to get a proper quote. We can then move on from there if everyone is happy.

1. NickdeBug - 65mm - 200mm

1. Nickdebug - 65mm - 200mm

2 Coffee chap as above x2

AKA Toffee chips

3. Dylan - 58mmx100mm

3. Dylan - 58mmx100mm

4.Bz99s - 59mmx200mm

Bz99s - 58 or 60mm available. I'm guessing the 58mm would be preferable.

FYI - I am ordering a few mm less than the throat diameter and plan to use an o-ring to get a nice fit, but there is no reason why tube shouldn't work without if snug fit.

http://www.bearingstation.co.uk/products/o_rings/Nitrile_O_Ring_Metric/50mm_-_74.99mm

Would this work with a Mazzer Major?

I'm guessing the Glass tube would need to be 58mm. But it would need a weight that would fit inside the tube (smaller than 58mm). Any idea what size the weight would need to be?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper