Dylan

Coffee burrs screw holes...

So if the layout or design of the burrs in a machine can have a significant effect on the flavour in the cup why is it that 10% or so of the burr space is given over to screw holes. Surely the beans that make their way over these screw heads are not getting the same treatment as the rest of them which have a clean path through the grinding proportion of the burrs.

But if this was a serious problem then surely it would have been something remedied already by the big players in the market?

It's a good point. It's be easy enough to change the mounting to screws external to the burr surfaces. But then the screws would collect the grinds rather than bean chunks, so it could well be the lesser of two evils. Could try having thicker burrs and mounting them from the underside, but then changing could be a pain.

Oh no... Now I've got another engineering problem getting lodged in my brain! *hugs knees and rocks backwards and forwards*

I suppose that's an advantage of conical burrs.

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

Never mind the holes, why do they insist on using screws with the structural integrity of an old Wensleydale?

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

It's a good point. It's be easy enough to change the mounting to screws external to the burr surfaces. But then the screws would collect the grinds rather than bean chunks, so it could well be the lesser of two evils. Could try having thicker burrs and mounting them from the underside, but then changing could be a pain.

Oh no... Now I've got another engineering problem getting lodged in my brain! *hugs knees and rocks backwards and forwards*

I suppose that's an advantage of conical burrs.

What about a screw thread around the outer base of the burr, with reverse thread of the burr spin?

Edit: not sure what that would do for tolerances.

Hmmm, I would have thought that the first time you zero'd your burrs they would lock tight and probably need heavy machinery to shift them.

Edited by NickdeBug
crap spelling

BOOM! You've just been onomatopoeia'd

Hmmm, I would have thought that the first time you zero'd your burrs they would lock tight and probably need heavy machinery to shift them.

Yea, I thought of that, not sure if there is a way to overcome this with the type of thread. Still there must be other ways to mount, extend the metal of the bur into the middle and have the screws here for example...

This is why I said in the first post... can it be that important if such a seemingly simple problem has not already been solved by the big players?

But if this was a serious problem then surely it would have been something remedied already by the big players in the market?

Occam's Razor would suggest that you've probably answered your own question.

"Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines. "

General Buck Turgidson

My Website