+1 to Boots' post. I am a fan of AndyS' brewing ratios. http://www.home-barista.com/tips/brewing-ratios-for-espresso-beverages-t2402.html

Weigh in, weigh out. One you're set up it takes seconds. You don't even need to have a scale under the cup, tbh, as long as you're happy to leave the finer adjustment to the next shot

I'm the one asking for a piccolo.

Thanks for the info guys got some more of the same beans today climpsons and sons the baron and only needed two small adjustments to get it foaled in, measured 17g of beans into the mignon and jackpot double shot in 27 seconds and the taste was superb!

its in a completely different league to the rhino hand grinder!

I also have a Eureka Mignon and use a Sage Dual Boiler. The Mignon delivers great results with the knob in the 1.4 to 1.6 area as shown in the photo. The very slightest of tweaks (really tiny - the wheel is tight and moves in small increments) has quite a large effect on the pour/ pressure / time and output of espresso. Are all burr grinders this super-sensitive? I have not determined where the zero position (burrs touching) is. Once set for a bean, it is very stable but just wondered if all grinders are so sensitive.

3B686A4B-A225-414B-8F38-EE6CDEEFFA15.jpg

It is a great little grinder which when I was using mine for espresso I also found needed only small adjustments. The numbering on the dial is pretty irrelevant as there's no marking next to the dial to use as a guide, although you could add one if you felt the need. To get to zero point as you describe it, just keep tightening the dial, without any beans in, towards the fine mark until you just hear the burrs 'chirping' as they begin to touch. Generally, then you back the dial of one to one and a quarter full turns towards gross to get back near the espresso setting, then tweak from there.

It is sensitive but not overly so, can't speak for all grinders but I find with my other one once its set in the general area for espresso also only needs tweaking by small degrees to make fairly large changes to flows, extractions, and taste so I wouldn't worry to much.

It doesn't matter how you get there it's only the end result that matters

I also have a Eureka Mignon and use a Sage Dual Boiler. The Mignon delivers great results with the knob in the 1.4 to 1.6 area as shown in the photo. The very slightest of tweaks (really tiny - the wheel is tight and moves in small increments) has quite a large effect on the pour/ pressure / time and output of espresso. Are all burr grinders this super-sensitive? I have not determined where the zero position (burrs touching) is. Once set for a bean, it is very stable but just wondered if all grinders are so sensitive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30886[/ATTACH]

One of these XL knobs may give you the extra adjustment you're looking for if they become available.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

It is a great little grinder. It's just a pity the indicators on the knob have no correlation between one grinder & another so sharing grind settings for a given bean is nigh on impossible.

I too think it’s vreat for espresso and once dialed in only needs very small adjustments and I also did try sticking some paper underneath the dial to remember the setting and then dial back two full turns from that to get to French press grind but then getting back to espresso wasn’t that straightforward.

so I’ve actually started using the same fine espresso grind for the lfench press which actually works pretty well with a short extraction time of day 2 minutes as the mesh on my steel French press is actually pretty good so does collect most of the grinds

that modified dial does look great too!

Cheers breezy.

I've been wondering about using espresso grind from my mignon for French press.

Will now give it a go

If you find your getting too many fines through with the finer grind, you could always put some filter paper between tje mesh & bottom part of the plunger.

If you find your getting too many fines through with the finer grind, you could always put some filter paper between tje mesh & bottom part of the plunger.

Yep I’ve realised this and thought exactly that and it is letting quite a bit of fine grinds through however I have thought about buying a coffee gator paperless pour over kit as I’m assuming you can use a finer grind for pour overs and filters

I have upgraded to the specialita from a hario skerton pro and I can definitely taste the difference in my coffee and I taste flavours that I couldn’t before. The grind adjuster is the only aspect of the grinder that I despise given that it does well for single dosing. I have however learnt that my fresh beans normally start at 2.5 and decrease to 1.5 as they age over a 2 week period. I also keep my time setting constant and can tell if the grind setting is either too fine or coarse based on how much enters the portafilter. I normally make a micro adjustment each day as the beans age to keep the brew ratio of 1:2 consistent.